You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Airports Wanted for Fly-ins

David Schaum 870453

David Schaum 870453
Posted
Posted

As many of you are aware, Delta Virtual Airlines conducts weekly events every Sunday night at 8 p.m. It started two years ago with pilots flying from one airport to another. Then the number of pilots grew to the point that we split the flights with 50 percent of the pilots leaving from one airport and the other 50 percent from the opposing. This provided both outbound and inbound traffic to both airports.

While this has been very successful, It's time to shake things up and try something new.

I would like to request volunteer airports to staff themselves for fly-ins. Every Sunday night when offered, an ARTCC will fully staff an airport from 9:30 p.m. (0130 Zulu) until 10:30 (0230 Zulu). Pilots at DVA will be allowed to depart from any airport in the world as long as it's a real world Delta Flight. They'll be required to arrive within the 1 hour window. I use 1 hour because it's hard to keep an airport fully staffed for long periods of time, but I'm open to larger windows at the offering from ATC.

This idea only works if you, the ARTCCs offer up airports.

I'll keep posting this message in various places and over regular periods of time to gain offers.

I request that ARTCC Chiefs, and Events Directors e-mail me with your offering. You should include what airport you want us to fly into, as long as Delta or it's regional carriers fly in there. You can offer a date, but you don't have to as I can choose one. Please keep in mind that we generally have over 25 aircraft fly each Sunday night, so choosing a small airport with a little or no significant commercial terminal would be unacceptable.

I truly hope to receive some interest from this. This actually works best for you, the ARTCCs. You get the traffic when you want it and are prepared for it.

Please e-mail me your fly-ins! [email protected]

David Schaum

Delta Virtual Airlines

Vice President of Events

David Schaum

DAL1190

Delta Virtual Airlines

Vice President of Events

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

I'd say most ARTCC's are familar with this format and would enjoy it since TGIF has visited nearly all USA ARTCC's to date using the same format.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Josh Drummond 853577
Posted
Posted

Lance if I may.... this is different from TGIF. I have flown in TGIF before and I know what I'm talking about when I say this. TGIF has several airlines flying into the same airport. Where as DVA Sunday nights in which I"m a proud particapent each pilot choses their own departure point. Where as TGIF each VA has its own where everyone departs from the same airport. I know I have flown in both DVA and VCA events so again I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks again

jdrummond.jpg

Matthew Kramer
Posted
Posted

Nobody is doubting that you know what your talking about, but the formats are similar. I will talk to my ZAB guys and see if we can open up PHX or ABQ for a Sunday.

-Matt

ZLA DATM, I1

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
Lance if I may.... this is different from TGIF. I have flown in TGIF before and I know what I'm talking about when I say this. TGIF has several airlines flying into the same airport. Where as DVA Sunday nights in which I"m a proud particapent each pilot choses their own departure point. Where as TGIF each VA has its own where everyone departs from the same airport. I know I have flown in both DVA and VCA events so again I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks again

Josh, when you participated in TGIF, you obviously didn't read or follow the instructions then. We encourage pilots to depart an airport of their choice. Yes we provide a "Canned" route, but most pilots depart an airport they select.

Sorry, but we've been doing this voer 1 1/2 years now bud.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Josh Drummond 853577
Posted
Posted

Wow!!! A year and a half..... hmm has it been that long?

jdrummond.jpg

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
Wow!!! A year and a half..... hmm has it been that long?

Actually TGIF in it's infancy has happened since December of 2003.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Josh Drummond 853577
Posted
Posted

Thats even longer then I thought...........

jdrummond.jpg

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Yup Josh, TGIF flights depart from many areas across the U.S. Don't despair though, I'd love another night where I don't always have to tie up my Fridays to fly in heavy traffic.

Looking forward to your getting Sundays fired up.

Jim Allan
Posted
Posted

We at CZQM/CZQX would welcome departures for any of our airports. If you have a spacific one in mind, and it is unmanned, then pm a controler in the sector, and I'm sure he will [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist you.

I know for a fact that Sundays are about as dull as dull can be trafficly speaking! Personally, I've spent the last 4 Sundays, at twr and havn't launched any aircraft! So yeh, we would love to see Delta use our sectors!

Cheers,

Jim Allan, TWR

atc1o.png

If you don't know the answer...at least make it sound convincing

Iain McPhee 939110
Posted
Posted

RDU, Raleigh-Durham Intl., in NC? This is close to my home airport (KNKT).

I am the puppeteer, you are the puppet...

Josh Drummond 853577
Posted
Posted

Well of course its got to be DFW.

jdrummond.jpg

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

I'll throw my 1,523,671 yen into this.

While the bigger airports seem to (and always will) attract traffic, there are a lot of smaller airports that are just as challenging and exciting, that can handle the traffic that the major airports do. For example:

CYLW. Nice arrival over that lake.

KASE. If you can get in and out of there, you're a damn good pilot.

KPSP. Great introduction to climbing in holding patterns.

YBCS. crank it and yank it, if you don't want to ditch into the harbour!

KSAC. Circle to land, anyone?

Just a couple I can think of. If anyone can name more, then like me, you probably need to get off the 'puter and get outside!

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Robin Goodchild 928027
Posted
Posted
I'll throw my 1,523,671 yen into this.

While the bigger airports seem to (and always will) attract traffic, there are a lot of smaller airports that are just as challenging and exciting, that can handle the traffic that the major airports do. For example:

CYLW. Nice arrival over that lake.

KASE. If you can get in and out of there, you're a damn good pilot.

KPSP. Great introduction to climbing in holding patterns.

YBCS. crank it and yank it, if you don't want to ditch into the harbour!

KSAC. Circle to land, anyone?

Just a couple I can think of. If anyone can name more, then like me, you probably need to get off the 'puter and get outside!

BL.

Sounds a great idea!! Adds another challenge to flying, too (besides finding the *RIGHT* airport !!) !!

Best regards,

Robin.

Banner_MJC16.png