You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Servinfo and AVG8.5

John Thornton 983141

John Thornton 983141
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

Since AVG no longer support/supply updates for V7.**, and therefore existing customers had no other option but to upgrade.

Having done so, I now find that the firewall is blocking Servinfo. I have sent an EMail to AVG but so far no response, just wondering is it only on my system or are others suffering also?

JohnT

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

You may also find it blocks Multiplayer traffic on Squawkbox and FSinn, the ability for FS9.1 to create a multiplayer session (even without SB or FSinn) without crashing and the ability to hear any voice communications on VRC to name a few.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

John Thornton 983141
Posted
Posted

Well,

There has been a response from AVG. I only hope their privacy policy is a goodun, the amount of information they have collected from my m/c, in an effort to sort this out is beyond belief. They know more about my set-up than I do.

Luckily I run Squawk box /FSCom/VRoute on my Vista m/c which has Bulldog AV on it and no problems. Apart from I lost voice on Squawk box last night. Tried settings on the ConPan,unplugging/replugging USB/ even tried speech recognition (Mic Calbratilon) all seemed to be responding - but still no SB mic cal. Eventually rebooted CPU and tried again, would you believe,

SB mic Cal went through no problems. Ah the vagaries of Windows. I was on-line at the time and trying to taik to Gatwick App.

I could hear him - he could not hear me, so he talked and I texted mono syllabic answers. Very understanding controller.

Regards JohnT

Tyler Goeggel 1071085
Posted
Posted

I have AVG 8.5 and it works just fine.

My setting are as followed:

"Firewall enabled"

"Standalone computer" or "Allow all"

"Enable gaming mode" (This option is not available when "Allow all" is checked, which is fine)

John Thornton 983141
Posted
Posted

Hi Tyler,

My system is a little more complicated than one CPU.

I have 1xXP and 1xVista units. My internet comes in via a BT Voyager to the XP unit which has AVG on it. The Vista m/c is hard wire linked from a bus on a LINKSYS wireless router (installed by my son so he can play with his laptop downstairs, whilst I use the set-up, upstairs).

I found that when I used standalone all comms between the XP and the Vista m/c were blocked. So I then selected "small home network" and things appeared to be OK. Until I tried Servinfo,that is.

Must say the term "Allow All" signifies to me no protection.

The set-up on AVG that is causing problems is:-

Profile Small home network.

Ticked box Enable gaming mode

and at the moment Firewall dis-enabled "Windows Firewall enabled"

Regards JohnT

John Thornton 983141
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

After numerous EMails back and forth to AVG. Seemed to have finally got it to work.

Did the following instructions :-

Please enable the AVG Firewall again and change its profile to

> > "Allow all":

> > - Please open AVG User Interface.

> > - Double-click on the "Firewall" component.

> > - Choose the "Allow All" profile from the drop-down menu and confirm

> > changes by clicking the "Save Changes" button.

> > - Is it possible to connect with the "Allow All" profile?

and all on the face of it seems OK - one caveat though, have not gone on-line with VATSIM yet .

Regards JohnT

• 3 weeks later...
Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

The one thing that puzzles me in all this is why you bought AVG 8.5 when it is still available as afree download package which offers more than adequate protection.

I run VISTA, FSC, FSInn, SERVINFO, DOLOMYNUM, VATSPY with AVG 8.5 FREE, not all at the sametime but any combination of, and I have never had any problems at all.

No need to jump through hoops call AVG, or delve into the arcane mysteries of computers, just installed AVG and ran it, worked perfectly first time and always has.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

The one thing that puzzles me in all this is how some people have AVG 8.5 running without any problems.

I run Windows XP, SB4, SERVINFO, VATSPY and VRC and with AVG 8.5 FREE, SERVINFO will always fail to load information the first time, VRC will not recieve any voice from any pilots, but will with other controllers and from ATIS, and SB4 will show not 1 other aircraft in multiplayer even during a major flyin with 50 aircraft at the same airport as me, (Incidently PMDG aircraft still show aircraft on TCAS direct from the SB feed) regardless of if I am running SB3, SB4, FSinn or even just connecting default FS9.1 multiplayer to my own IP address without any vatsim client software. (Connecting message never goes away even after setting it up, and going to bed, and waking up 8 hours later it was still disconnected but "connecting")

No need to jump through hoops call AVG, or delve into the arcane mysteries of computers, just uninstalled AVG and got rid of it. havn't had a multiplayer or voice problem since.

WycTrent Hopkinsontt

----------------------------

Sorry Wycliffe, just had to

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Trent

No prolem dude. clearly some of us have the magic and others just get a load of poodoo (said with toungue stuck firmly in cheek)

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

John Thornton 983141
Posted
Posted

Well, well,

seem to have started something here.

First of, I did use AVG free for quite some years - my son installed it . But due to an overwhelming increase in spam etc and one off my cards being cloned. I decided to increase my security and install a Firewall, which correct me if wrong, AVG free does not have.

Also, be thankful, my purchase has probably gone some way to paying for your free version, likewise my small donation to AVSIM. Will I hope help to get that system up and running for the benefit of all.

Remember there are numerous systems, containing "n" number of variations so the saying "One shoe fits all" sometimes does not apply. On reflection my problem arose, because I mis-understood the term " Allow All". I took that to mean literally, "allow everything through", defeating the purpose of a firewall.

Oh I do hate updates/revisions etc., it seems I no sooner get the system working, when along comes another one, and things go haywire and the merry go around starts again.

Regards JohnT