You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

RAM improving fsx fps

Mitchell Sale 1093858

Mitchell Sale 1093858
Posted
Posted

if i buy a 2gb of ram and add it to my 1gb will i get better frames because i getting low frames

with low settings

mitchell.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

ram is the best and cheapest upgrade for a pc.

as far as it improving frames, itll help. but its not the only thing to consider, especially if running FSX.

upgrading your video card, etc. will also improve on frames.

its never just 1 thing to upgrade. doing just 1 will certainly help, but also consider what else may need to be upgraded

Joshua Westbrook 827267
Posted
Posted

Yes if your motherboard can take it. Most only let you go up to 3- (windows xp systems) or 4+ gigs (windows vista systems). I would check that before buying RAM.

2572.png

Mitchell Sale 1093858
Posted
Posted

ive been watching a vid and i need ram!

trying to run 4 programs while runing fsx kills my machine

mitchell.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

what other programs are you running with FSX?

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Mitchell Sale 1093858
Posted
Posted
what other programs are you running with FSX?

vroute, vafs4(virtual airline filght recorder) ,fs real time and fsx

mitchell.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

the extra gig will help a bit. You're probably gonna want to check into upgrading your video and or CPU

Richard Gerrish

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

You can always give fs9 a try if all your hopes to get good frames with fsx are all gone...

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Mitchell Sale 1093858
Posted
Posted (edited)
You can always give fs9 a try if all your hopes to get good frames with fsx are all gone...

ive spent too much one fsx add-ons to go back to fs9

fs9....why do i still have it? i could make $50 for it

Edited by Guest
mitchell.png

Mitchell Sale 1093858
Posted
Posted

the extra gig will help a bit. You're probably gonna want to check into upgrading your video and or CPU

thats a long term job, this is a short term for now

mitchell.png

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted
Yes if your motherboard can take it. Most only let you go up to 3- (windows xp systems) or 4+ gigs (windows vista systems). I would check that before buying RAM.

I bet XP take 3G+ (4G is the teoretical maximum, but all 4G it not usable).

Typical the motherboard work in pear of RAM i.e. one pear are matched from factory to be set in one memory-bank. Be carefull to read the motherboard specification and buy high speed RAM as your motherboard support.

An other way to win performace may could be to get an additional low cost second computer. To use for chart etc. also some FS-application may could be run in a second computer by use of local network connection.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

Are we actually running out of RAM and swapping, or are the CPU and/or video card the bottleneck? If it's the latter, getting more RAM will do next to nothing.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Sam Cowan 979498
Posted
Posted
Are we actually running out of RAM and swapping, or are the CPU and/or video card the bottleneck? If it's the latter, getting more RAM will do next to nothing.

Cheers!

Luke

luke hit the nail on the head. the fastest your comp will be is the slowest component. so you could have a terabyte of RAM, but if the vid card sucks, it wont do a thing really.

Sam

bannercopy.jpg

Ah, Windows: An operating system that makes you shut your computer off by clicking a button marked "Start"

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

on the as good as slowest component. are you running an integrated graphics card? if so have you checked your BIOS settings to see how much of your shared RAM it has access to

Richard Gerrish

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

I dont agree there is a generic simply "bottleneck" or the "fastest your comp will be is the slowest component". The harddisk is always the slowest component in the FS application but is not used all the time for all operations. Getting two 10000 RPM harddisks in a RAID 0 system will increase FS performance a lot in some sense, but CPU, RAM and videocard will effect performance quite independent.

A fast CPU or additional RAM-size (if running applications can take advantage of more RAM) will increase performance quite independent of each other. RAM-speed and CPU speed will typical allways both increase performance and independently.

FS is an application that may could take advance of RAM to load 3D objects or bitmaps as a cache to avoid reloading from harddisk. videocard typical only hold 512Mb. It does not mean FS first must have problem with swap at harddisk, FS could somehow look how much RAM are available and adapt allocation to available RAM. I've seen changing views seams be quicker with more RAM, while it not effect the typical FPS.

E.g. SATA speed 100 or 300 I understand make no difference due to the hardisk rotation speed is the bottleneck, and here the bottleneck matter.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Lennart, while I'll agree with you, Luke's point is very salient. If his CPU is a 2.1ghz, or has almost no L1 or L2 cache, or he has a cheap motherboard with a slow FSB, adding RAM isn't going to help much.

Finding the actual bottleneck should always be your first step before you go dump money on hardware you may not need.