You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Finding Preferred Routes in Europe...

Eric Szczesniak 1011649

Eric Szczesniak 1011649
Posted
Posted

I don't make it across the pond often and am not as familiar with the resources. For US routes there is a website, flightaware, that lists realworld filed flight plans and is great for finding realistic routes. Is there a good way to find similar information for European routes? In particular, I'm looking for EDDF-LOWI and LOWI-EDDF routes. However, I'd love to have this information for any future flights that I might plan. Thanks.

Alexander Cohrs
Posted
Posted

Hi Eric,

the most reliable database for Europe certainly is http://www.vatroute.net. As the routes are validated against the AIRAC cycle every month, they should always be up to date and match the real life conditions.

If you can't find a route for your flight there, I recommend using vRoute (client available via http://www.vroute.net). By the way: You can also find a huge amount of Central African routes there - just in case you'd also like to visit us some day

Alex

gen.php?img=_5_1&cid=899395

Andrzej Stachlewski 104848
Posted
Posted

There is also tool of huge flexibility available here:

http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/

I recommend it, free and easy to use.

That's hell of a job to be inclusive when server kicks you off.

Alexander Cohrs
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am pretty sure my European mates would be very happy if you used either the Vatroute or vRoute routes which are also free AND checked against the Airac cycle and the Eurocontrol System. The Asalink finder CAN be quite helpful to calculate some segments if you know what you are doing, but if you just enter the airports there and click on the button, it will most likely give you a route that is not valid in the complicated European airspace.

Edited by Guest

gen.php?img=_5_1&cid=899395

Eric Szczesniak 1011649
Posted
Posted

Thanks all. Vatroute looks like just what I had in mind. I have used route finder before, but it doesn't necessarily give you the preferred route. Instead it often just gives you a feasible route of connected airways--and that's something even I can do by hand. It's more a matter of getting the right directions on airways, valid flight levels and so forth.

Thomas George 827476
Posted
Posted

There's a good tool on vACC Finland's site too, though whether it is as up-to-date as VATROUTE I don't know.. vacc.fi

T

Thomas George

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

VACC Finland uses EU Route, which is the same database as vroute uses.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

James O Grady 904153
Posted
Posted
VACC Finland uses EU Route, which is the same database as vroute uses.

AFAIK EU Route was discontinued soon after vroute was released, and vroute has it's own database. So if Finland is using EURoute as it's database, then it won't be up-to-date as new routes aren't allowed to be added by vACCs.

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

We have links to the same database at VACCSCA, and as far as I understand the old EURoute database is now the vroute database. I doubt the author of both EURoute and vroute, Michal Rok, keeps two databases online, but I'll have to check with him, as of course I want the flight plan database on our site to be up-to-date!

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

James O Grady 904153
Posted
Posted
We have links to the same database at VACCSCA, and as far as I understand the old EURoute database is now the vroute database. I doubt the author of both EURoute and vroute, Michal Rok, keeps two databases online, but I'll have to check with him, as of course I want the flight plan database on our site to be up-to-date!

I dunno, but when I go to search for certain routes using vroute, they don't show up when I search for them on the EURoute database.

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Indeed those two databases had to be separated for technical reasons when capability to handle multiple AIRAC cycles was implemented in late 2007. The EUroute database was frozen and started from a copy of it.

I did not realize there are so many people out there still using old EUroute (despite it's really old and outdated), so I can refresh it's database from current vroute as a one-time effort (i cannot promise to do it often).

(@Martin: BTW I actually keep more than 6GB of different databases, it's driving me nuts sometimes )

Michal

vroute.net founder

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

I'm still using EUroute because it has that handy pdf flightplan which

I can put into my EFB.

No need for fiddling just drag and drop and I'm set.

Maybe I should check out vroute though,

as I am pretty sure you'd include that in your next effort

but,yeah,I still like EUroute.

What can I say

I'm happy it's still there.

f1cert.gif

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

Hmm, yes on the VACCSCA website we link to EURoute as well as VATRoute. We encourage the use of vroute as well, but it's nice to be able to link directly to flight plans from our web pages.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

I can put into my EFB.

yeah... this is exactly why i didn't spend time on improving EUroute for websites . It's been 5 years since I stopped developing this product and there are still people who didn't see the need to install a newer version

Tom, yes, there's a PDF export feature that you're used to - and much more. Try vroute.

@Martin - I'll see what I can do. I cannot deliver multi-AIRAC capability in old EUroute so you'll have only cycle 0608 on your website.

Michal

vroute.net founder

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

I can put into my EFB.

yeah... this is exactly why i didn't spend time on improving EUroute for websites . It's been 5 years since I stopped developing this product and there are still people who didn't see the need to install a newer version

Tom, yes, there's a PDF export feature that you're used to - and much more. Try vroute.

@Martin - I'll see what I can do. I cannot deliver multi-AIRAC capability in old EUroute so you'll have only cycle 0608 on your website.

Michal

Nice!

I'll check it out then,thanks for the tip.

And sorry I used your old module for that long .

But,consider it a compliment,I just really like it

edit,consider this a further compliment : I just bought premium

f1cert.gif

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

As I understand it AIRAC updates are only available in the payware version of vroute. For now it's okay for us to use the 0608, at least for domestic routes, as there haven't really been any major changes to the routes, but I suspect we will have to move on to VATRoute for the flight plan services on the website, which is a shame since EURoute is a very useful tool.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Martin, that's not true - AIRAC updates are available for anyone who purchased appropriate AIRAC cycle from Navigraph. Basically if you obtained a particular cycle from Navigraph and if we support that cycle (we couldn't support all possible historical cycles) you can get the same for free from vroute.info or vroute.premium. There's no additional payment for us - we simply obtained a license from Navigraph and have to observe their conditions.

I refreshed EUroute with the latest 0608 from vroute, increasing the number of routes from 59000 to 91000.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

Ahh, sorry, I was a bit confused there! Anyway, my point was that we cannot provide updated AIRAC data on our websites unless we switch to VATRoute, as EURoute/vroute only provides current AIRAC data for those pilots who have purchased it.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

VATroute does not offer a plugin for your website like you currently have, so I don't see much difference between pointing people to vroute's software and VATroute's website

I am not aware of any source of FMS data other than Navigraph, so there isn't much I can do.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Arne Hunsdiek
Posted
Posted
VATroute does not offer a plugin for your website like you currently have, so I don't see much difference between pointing people to vroute's software and VATroute's website

[..]

It is/was possible for VAs, so you may get in contact with VATroute support.

VATSIM Germany Chief Navigation

?id=ggcn,eddl,eddk&x=488

MQT24C