You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Helicopter Ops in and around NYC

Michael Mathiau 1011642

Michael Mathiau 1011642
Posted
Posted

I am looking for information about helicopter operations in and around NYC. I fly in FSE and many of the jobs I am doing lately are in NYC and NJ, including KJFK, 6N7, GCAS, 2N7 and so on. I found last night there are several airspaces to contend with, often times simultaneously. Last night I made quite a mess at KJFK. I was talking (typed not voice) to KJFK and LGA at the same time, while trying to navigate a helo at night. I soon became disoriented and ended up crossing a runway. The ATC at the time was firm but kind and I truly apologize for making his evening stressful. After landing I logged off and spent a couple hours marking my airport diagrams and reviewing where I went wrong.

I am wondering what if any procedures there are for NYC helo traffic. Most of my flights are between 8 and 15 miles snaking in and around a couple different air spaces. I truly want to avoid the cluster I caused last night and would appreciate more information. I am looking for a printable version of the NYC helicopter route chart as my sectional is not nearly detailed enough to deal with the complexity of NYC, NY harbor, and the Hudson for low lvl helicopter operations.

Thank you

mike

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Mike,

Have you checked for terminal charts at the NY ARTCC site? I'll bet they have one. Metro Helicopters may also have material on getting around NYC area.

Once you get this info/chart you'll have a blast scooting around.

Kyle Ramsey

Dan Everette
Posted
Posted

Metro is a good place to start. Also, skyvector has the helicopter routes available. Center on JFK and flight NY Heli in the upper right. If you wanted to travel JFK-LGA, you could request such via the VAN WYCK or CONDUIT/MARRIOTT Routes, etc. It's a ton of fun flying those routes, especially when N90 is busy.

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Michael Mathiau 1011642
Posted
Posted

I have been looking at skyvector, I might buy one. between fsx, vatsim and fse the last thing I need running is the internet too LOL. Its nice to have a bit of paper to jot notes on any way. I'll check out the ny artcc site as well.

Kevin Kan
Posted
Posted

If you can use voice, cause those are usually short routes and typing and hand flying is going to be tough, but of course that's up to you.

If you look at our SOP in ZNY you should see the VFR routes. Just download either JFK/LGA or EWR SOP, the same page is in all 3 of them.

You can also completely avoid us by staying below the Bravo airspace and snake around. Although most people call us up anyways.

1723.png

atc2o.png

Like my GOAT? Too bad, it's mine.

My airline flying at the speed of normal