You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Position bookings while UK website and RTS system is down

Clint Wallis 1078533

Clint Wallis 1078533
Posted
Posted

Any chance the vroute system can be brought back online regarding the booking of positions until the UK website is back up and running as was done before. At least that way Vatsim Pilots know what to expect online ATC wise??????

Clint Wallis 1078533
Posted
Posted

Sorry but Vroute doesn't allow Vatsim UK members to book positions. We have to book through our regional RTS system. However when the website last went down (taking our access away from the RTS system) we had no way to book. After a period of time Vroute (at the request of VATSIM UK I believe) allowed UK members to book positions until the website went live again.

Granted that period was far longer than the websites current downtime.

I only ask because as a controller I am often only able to book positions at short notice when I have time spare (a couple of days in advance) due to shift work.

Vroute has a calendar which potential pilots can look at and can see that in a couple of days I have booked say London City Tower, however at the moment I can't book that position, which may disuade a pilot flying to that airport (or persuade not to as the case maybe lol)

I know once you are online pilots can see you are on a position but for planning purposes, it's not so good. Also I may miss out on controlling as other controllers are a manning (all benefical to VATSIM thought)

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Oh, I did not have that on my mind anymore. There was a restriction for you UK-guys, true. Well, best would be to coordinate this with the boss of VATSIM UK or the with your webmaster. They know when the servers will be back. Hopefully soon!

Clint Wallis 1078533
Posted
Posted

Difficult to communicate when the website is down unless they happen to be online on VRC etc, so thought I would post here on the off chance they may see and potentially ask Vroute to again temporarily allow booking access again.

But yes hopefully the website will be up and running soon and I'm sure the guys/girls behind the scenes are working hard to make it happen!!! It's only when it's down that you realise you can take it for granted.

Phillip Speer
Posted
Posted

Clint et al,

I've emailed Sean regarding this.

Phillip

VATSIM UK Divisional Instructor

craig workman 929129
Posted
Posted

the site and RTS system is back up and running now ;-p

craigworkman.png

Phillip Powell 1062160
Posted
Posted

It might have been back up at 0317 Craig, but I cannot access it this morning so maybe they were running some test.

Thanks to everyone who is working on the problem, and also thanks to the Liverpool Fast Forward team. From my point of view in the cockpit it all went very well with solid ATC down in to France.

Regards

Phill

EZY7117

EGGP_TWR 126.350

generate.php?mid=1062160

Old PID 849479

Wygene Chong 1089621
Posted
Posted

I still cannot access it either. Thanks to everyone who is working on it though! And good job at Liverpool!

Wygene Chong

C1 Controller | Iceland | Greenland | Faroe Islands

VATSIM Scandinavia

Phillip Powell 1062160
Posted
Posted

It came back up again for a while this morning but was very slow.

From my time in a telephony/data centre I'm sure of one thing. You have to keep your servers cool or they slow down/shut down to protect themselves.

No doubt we will be advised in due course what is happening.

Phill

EGGP_TWR 126.350

generate.php?mid=1062160

Old PID 849479

Clint Wallis 1078533
Posted
Posted

Thanks Phillip (Speer)

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

If one applies a little Patience 101 to the UK site it does come up and one finds the following message:

"There is a problem with the vatsim-uk database. The UK website, forum and RTS system will be operating at a limited capacity until this is resolved. You should still be able to access the vatsim.net forums."

I hope this helps.

Bill Casey

Clint Wallis 1078533
Posted
Posted

One has noticed that The Vatsim UK website and RTS system is currently back up and running, hopefully they have resolved the issues.

Anthony Lawrence
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

Just got in!

I'll fire off an email to Michal Rok in regards to the bookings for you guys.

As for emails, the email server is separate to the web server which is separate from the UK2 (FSD) and Teamspeak servers. Thus meaning that communication is available in more than 1 way should one of the 3 servers go down.

Bill quoted what the website said - that message will appear if the databases are offline. It would appear that the server comes online in the early hours when it's cooler and when there's nobody attempting to access it. Sadly it doesn't seem to be able to cope. I'll catch up with the server owner later (when he's around) and try and get the latest 411 for you.

I'll do my best to keep you all informed.

Regards,

A...

P.S If we can keep it to 1 topic it'd be great (since then I only have to post 1 update that's in context rather than 3 generic ones to fit all topics).