You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Euroscope voice comms after internet disconnect

Phillip Powell 1062160

Phillip Powell 1062160
Posted
Posted

I really like Euroscope but I have terrible trouble when I get disconnected.

Briefly, I can only get Mobile broadband because of my location. Occasionally, though to be honest, more and more lately, I'm finding that my ISP will disconnect me without warning. My contract is unlimited access but that doesn't seem to matter a jot to them.

Usually I can reconnect to the internet without problem, and be online for 15 minutes, some times up to 5 hours before I'm disconnected again. I am directly connected to the internet with no router to worry about.

Of course, once I'm reconnected I can get back on Euroscope and all is well.

The problem occurs in the audio, probably because of latency in the voice servers. Normally the aircraft I have been talking to are unable to hear me, and I them. A check in the voice communications setup dialog shows that I am connected to my voice room twice, sometimes three times if I have been disconnected twice in succession. Sometimes one of them can hear me, though as of yet I have not been able to prove why. Perhaps they have re-tuned, but so far asking aircraft to do this has not worked. New aircraft that come online do not nescessarily connect to the correct room so there is no guarantee that I can communicate with them. Some people who I have been able to keep in contact with lose audio connection.

I have tried connecting to another voice server on reconnecting to ES, but this seems to cause my PC to hang for up to a minute and I have no comms with anyone after it.

Up until now I have resorted to chat to get them on their way but of course this is less that satisfactory for them. I know that I cannot be the only person to get disconnected, so I wondered how everyone else handled it? Is there a way of killing your old voice connection or is the only answer to wait until the old voice room has died and then reconnect.

Also, not sure if it is related but I wondered if anyone else gets a drop out in their ATIS. My ATIS in the controller list loses it's controller code NMI and reverts to 10. Investigation shows that the tick has dropped out of the ATIS box in the voice comms setup. No idea why it does and don't think it is related to new ATIS code letter, and can happen even when I have not been disconnected.

Thanks in advance,

Phill

PS apologies for the spelling, I have to rush it or I lose it all if I'm disconnected.

EGGP_TWR 126.350

generate.php?mid=1062160

Old PID 849479

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Well it has happened to me more the once. What I do is simply wait the previous voice connection to get dropped by the voice server. I am not 100% sure it is ES fault

The ATIS problem can be related to your internet problems. ES may think that you have been disconnected from the server, or your ATIS connection ping may go below the threshold thus forcing ES to drop the tick of the atis comm.

Phillip Powell 1062160
Posted
Posted

Hi Todor,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm sure this is not a Euroscope problem, and equally sure I would have the same problem if I were to use VCR.

How do you know when the old voice connection has been dropped by the server? Could I rely on ServInfo for it?

ATIS message, yes I agree, I'll just have to keep an eye on it until I can get a better connection.

Thanks

Phill

EGGP_TWR 126.350

generate.php?mid=1062160

Old PID 849479

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Well you can always open the voice list and see when your double connection drops, you can also see connected users in the Voice Communication Setup.

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Phillip,

I am not sure I will be able to answer your question. The voice communication is not my code and I never debugged deep enough. But some information: The callsigns that you see in the voice list are reported by the voice server. So that if you see yourself twice (or more) then the server still thinks that your previous connection is still alive. I thought that changing the voice server (or just the voice channel) may solve the problem as you will be connected to there only once. After changing your voice server/channel you have to wait a bit until your new server setup is published for the plane client. Only after that they will be able to tune to your room.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Phillip Powell 1062160
Posted
Posted

Thanks Gergely,

I've been on-line today at what I consider to be the worst time. Disconnected from the Internet 5 times in 15 minutes. I don't normally control at this time.

I agree, I don't think there is a quick way to get voice back, I just have to wait until it sorts itself out. As SOP I now take the primary tick and the four icons out in the my line in the voice comms setup before I re-connect. Then I just keep trying to set my primary frequency until I only have one entry, then text message any connected aircraft asking them to retune.

The only time I had more than 90 seconds to wait might have been due to an OBS having a tick in my primary frequency, though I'm not sure of this.

Thanks also to Zafar Ballard, who helped me out this morning.

Phill

EGGP_TWR 126.350

generate.php?mid=1062160

Old PID 849479

• 1 month later...
Jacques Malan 995061
Posted
Posted

Hi Phillip,

It works for me to quit Euroscope and open it again.

This takes only 20 seconds, and then all the voice rooms are cleared and you can connect and continue controlling.

Regards

Jacques Malan

VATSIM Supervisor

atc1o.png

Phillip Powell 1062160
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jacques, I'll give that a try, if I get another disconnection.

On a happier note I think I have solved my problem with my multiple disconnections. Just goes to show that you can't blame your ISP all the time.

My problem seems to be a walnut tree!!

My modem was on a pole on the roof with a 5 metre USB cable connecting it to the PC. I started getting disconnections earlier in the year and I think it relates to the tree coming in to leaf.

To get round this I have put an old Dell CPi laptop in the top room in the house with the modem connected to it. Now I get continuous 3G+ with no disconnections at all. The room has no ac and in summer runs about 35 to 40C, I don't fancy sitting in there, even with a fan running, so I've run a Cat5 cable downstairs to the PCs and everything is fine.

Phill

EGGP_TWR 126.350

generate.php?mid=1062160

Old PID 849479