You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Upgrade to 28 inch monitor?

Alex Evans 1082181

Alex Evans 1082181
Posted
Posted

Hi.

Has anyone upgraded to a 28 inch monitor from 24 inches? Was it worth it?

And how much do you think 30 inch monitiors with resoltions higher than 1920x1280 will be in a year?

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

If you have to ask these questions, you may not be wanting to upgrade.

Only you can answer if a 28in monitor is "worth it" within your budget, means, etc. Hardware always gets cheaper over time, who can say what a 30" will cost in a year. Either way, you can bet the 28" will be cheaper then. Are you willing to wait for the savings?

Alex Evans 1082181
Posted
Posted

Yes, a 28 inch monitor is within my means. Budget ones are quite reasonably priced so the temptation is there to upgrade. I was rather hoping to hear from someone who had made the upgrade to listen to what they have to say regarding whether (or not) the larger 28" monitor improved their user experience and then to make my mind up whether it is worth upgrading for me personally.

Of course prices are going down over time. The reason I ask about the future of 30 inch monitor prices is because the current prices for (budget) 22,24 and 26 inch monitors increase in a roughly linear way but then there is a huge leap in prices between the 28 inch monitors and the 30 inch ones. Roughly £150, £200, £300, and >£1000 respectively. 30 inch monitors do display resolutions beyond 1920 x 1200 though. There is no "budget" brand 30 inch monitor to my knowledge. Please correct me if you know otherwise.

My feeling is that in the VC with zoom at 1.00, the peripheral vision is not true to life - there's a little tunnel vision. Zooming out to say 0.8 or 0.7 improves things but then the quality of the instrument readout degrades unacceptably with a 26" monitor . There does always seem to be one little niggle in my setup that prevents the level of immersion that I am trying to achieve and I am something of a perfectionist

I would speculate that in the future when hopefully the higher resolution 30 inch monitors are more reasonably priced, zooming out to achieve a more natural field of view will be possible without an unaaceptable degredation in the quality of the instrument display, whilst having the monitor fill your entire field of view. Nirvana. For now though they are beyond my reach...

Personally I do not have to wait for the 28 inch monitor to come down in price but the 30 inch ones are beyond my means.

I'd still be very interested to hear what others think...