You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Cannot hear pilots after short inactivity?

Colin Zhang 1103737

Colin Zhang 1103737
Posted
Posted

Lately I have been having a problem with VRC and voice servers. It seems that sometimes if there has not been anyone transmitting on the frequency for a while I will not be able to hear anything until I transmit something.

i.e. as ground, UAL001 gets clearance, taxi, and freq change before the runway. Then, no one comes for another 20-30 minutes. When AAL002 shows up and calls for clearance, I am not able to hear him so the call goes unanswered. After an undetermined amount of time, AAL decides to call up on text. I see his text and then look at his flight plan which indicates that he's voice able. I then call him for a mic check over voice and voila, he can hear me and I can hear him!

Anyone else have this issue? Is it just a side effect of the server software? I try to tap on the transmit button every couple of minutes now which works some of the time...thanks!

edit: sorry, just saw the other thread on the issue but it's still unresolved. By the way, I am on a PC laptop connected through a Netgear wireless router with ADSL connection if that helps...

VATUSA ZSE Staff Mentor, S3

1798.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Use your favourite search engine and look for UDP Timeout.

Additionally checks on this forum, along with those of VRC and Squawkbox, all show the same issue, together with solutions relevant to your setup.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Yep...

try port forwarding.....

New York ARTCC

Michael Hess 1046854
Posted
Posted

You can also try changing the audio devices from Wave to DirectSound, or vice versa.

-Cheers!

Michael Hess

ZMP Webmaster

Colin Zhang 1103737
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the replies guys, I tried forwarding the ports but I am not sure about setting a single port. In my netgear router I have set up port 3290 to 3290 (same) but am not 100% certain that is the proper way or the proper port (saw it somewhere in the forum). Have not been able to clarify if it has worked yet but I sure hope it will .

VATUSA ZSE Staff Mentor, S3

1798.png

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

That is indeed the proper port. Make sure you have forwarded that port to the identical port on the machine you are using to control (using the IP address). Doing this solved the issue for me.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].