You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Jersey

Callum Riseley 1058796

Callum Riseley 1058796
Posted
Posted

Just a question, Everytime I look I never see Jersey online which has always stopped me from flying into it, however I was planning a flight through France so checked on the French page for vRoute and saw EGJJ_TWR. Surely this should be on the UK section as we cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] it as part of the UK on Vatsim? If not then why is it a UK based position?

Cheers,

Callum.

Vatsim Germany | S2 | Düsseldorf RG | Köln

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

I believe that EGJJ lies under French airspace.

Michal

vroute.net founder

Callum Riseley 1058796
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your help Michal surely if thats the case EGJJ wouldnt be a VATUK position?

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

Not really. There's plenty of places on VATSIM where common sense was more important than airspace geography

Michal

vroute.net founder

Phillip Speer
Posted
Posted

Hi Callum,

The Channel Islands are a bit of an oddity. They are part of UK airspace in the fact that the Channel Islands CTR is part of UK control (EGJJ_Z_APP formerly EGJJ_CTR), however, they are outside the London EGTT FIR and situated beneath the Brest LFRR FIR. It is difficult to know where to cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ify them and as VRoute along with other programs often work on an FIR rather than a three dimensional or CTA level. In this instance they would have to be with LFRR as that is where they are but it might be possible to cross link to EGTT??

Phillip

VATSIM UK Divisional Instructor

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

It would be impossible unfortunately, since vroute cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ifies aircraft not by airport ICAOs (like the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic servinfo app), but by physical location. If I "forcefully" switched Jersey to UK, flights overflying Jersey area would be temporarily moved to UK screen and then back to France...

Michal

vroute.net founder

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
It would be impossible unfortunately, since vroute cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ifies aircraft not by airport ICAOs (like the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic servinfo app), but by physical location. If I "forcefully" switched Jersey to UK, flights overflying Jersey area would be temporarily moved to UK screen and then back to France...

Michal

Sounds like a pain for an inconvience, and not worth the time to code the hard fix. just my 2c

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Michal Rok
Posted
Posted

It's nice that you asked, but it would really be a pain to change this...

Michal

vroute.net founder

Callum Riseley 1058796
Posted
Posted

Ahh thanks for your help Michal, I was just wondering, i'm sure its more trouble than its worth to change it all.