You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help required ISP options and pooor upload comms

Matthew Gunn 964355

Matthew Gunn 964355
Posted
Posted

Some advice appreciated from those in the know about ISPs. Still having dreadful upload speeds hence poor comms when controlling typically 160kbps (good old Orange!). Good router, network card is standard with the pc but having done a bit of monitoring I suspect it is an upload speed issue via the exchange. Not being an expert in such matters I could do with some thoughts on these observations:

Have checked and my local exchange at present is ADSL so 2MB download max though due to become 8MB shortly (generally getting around 1.3 most days). There are no LLU providers on our little village exchange so all access is via BT wholesale (which means Be is not available sadly). I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming there is a max upload speed possible from ADSL and that 160kbps is nowhere near it (i'm guess either 480kbps or 780 kbps or thereabouts). I am though less than a mile up the road so wouldn't have thoughts distance should be an issue.

So currently sitting on a MAC code trying to decide who to plump for next to try and get more stable comms. Question is:

If the exchange is BT wholesale (and I can't see that changing for a tiny village for a while) am I better off with BT or does their 1:50 contention mean I should look at an ISP accessing via BT - if so which packages are rated as providing good upload stability? Currently trying to compare a whole range of options including O2, Talk Talk, Virgin, UKonline, Newnet etc so would appreciate some thoughts.

Cheers

Dominic Lipscombe 1105519
Posted
Posted

Unfortunatly, they all utilitze the BT hardware - appart from Be*, lol.

You could try a VPN though

PHP/Mysql/C# Developer

Can't see traffic? Click here!

Need Squawkbox? Click here!

Need VatSpy? Click here!

Want to join an epic VA? Click here!

2572.png

Phillip Powell 1062160
Posted
Posted

Hi Matthew,

Sorry I can't be much help but as someone who has struggled for a year on a mobile broadband connection, I have to say that I don't believe your problem is ISP related. Dreadful upload speed.....160 kps!!! I wish!

My upload speed is supposed to be 128k and is reported to be about 50 kps! (*kype recommend at least 64 kps). I have no problems with audio sound on ES or TS. I use *kype for my European phone calls since it costs £3 a month for unlimited European calls. The sound quality is excellent. Since I sorted out my disconnection problems, no one has complained about my voice output.

From the sound, sorry about the pun, of it, I'd look at your audio card or drivers first.

Regards

Phill

EGGP_TWR 126.350

generate.php?mid=1062160

Old PID 849479