You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vatsim Newbe

Gary Claridge-King 1116826

Posted
Posted

Good Afternoon,

Registered with Vatsim a few days ago, Been reading the manuals and training modules for weeks but still lost.

I was wondering if anyone can offer me some help. Where would be a quiet airport to listen in and to gain experience before taking my first flight. I have been using FSX for 12 months, but still trying to understand flying VOR, IFR and holding paterns.

I'm not sure if set up with Vatsim UK, I've joined a VA in the USA (Delta Virtual), so thought I had to register my region as USA, I've since requested uk.

2733.png

David Saunders 818672
Posted
Posted

to be honest any airport that is manned apart from Heathrow, try to avoid this until you have managed to understand the basics of online flying and can handle your aircraft when being instructed by ATC, the basics like, Headings, Speed and Vertical control, if instructed by ATC to speed up or slow down, turn left or right and climb or decend this as an area controller is all i ask to make my life a little easier, if you can manage this then you are good to go, the rest comes with a little learning.

the next thing is ensure you have charts, ground charts are just as important as SID's or STAR charts, especially at the larger fields.

non-discript self importance signature

Matthew Reeve 914466
Posted
Posted

Gary

Welcome! There is a wealth of information on http://www.vatsim-uk.org including a local forum, and a Pilot Mentoring System which will help you with the above. I'm not sure if it's open, but if you contact Gary Brett through the contact system on our website he will be able to point you in the right direction.

3712.png

Vatsim-UK C3/INS & EGTT Euroscope sector file developer

FS9 pilot, learning X-plane, VasFMC user

Chris Medley 1074089
Posted
Posted

Hey Gary, welcome.

I'd be happy to give you a few lessons if you'd like. Try to get an aircraft with an FMC if you dont have one already, my personal fav is the PMDG 737 series. send me a message if you'd like to do a flight.

Today/tonight is good for me, but if not for you just let me know.

Chris

Posted
Posted
Hey Gary, welcome.

I'd be happy to give you a few lessons if you'd like. Try to get an aircraft with an FMC if you dont have one already, my personal fav is the PMDG 737 series. send me a message if you'd like to do a flight.

Today/tonight is good for me, but if not for you just let me know.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

All my aircraft are freeware or standard FSX, so none have an FMC. I have the airbus collection on disk, I know they do, I'll look for the PMDG 737 when home as I'm sat at work at the moment.

Gary

2733.png

Chris Medley 1074089
Posted
Posted

I've sent you a PM mate

• 1 month later...
Anthony Carbott
Posted
Posted

I don't mean to hijack a thread here, but I'm new to Vatsim, so could also do with some pointers. I know how to handle an aircraft, just not really sure what to do with Vatsim. I've got FMCs in my aircraft, not sure if they'll take a SID or a STAR though.

Mark Townend 893724
Posted
Posted
...I have been using FSX for 12 months, but still trying to understand flying VOR, IFR and holding paterns...

If you are interested in understanding VOR's and navigation, I would suggest staying away from FMC's as they tend to automate a lot of the process. Talk to the chaps on the Pilot Mentoring scheme via the VATSIM UK forums/email addresses and ask them to help you out.

If you are just interested in flying the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]enger jets, then jump straight in.

VATSIM is a learning environment and everyone makes mistakes; we were all new at one time or another and providing you have the will to learn, you'll not look back!

Welcome.

Mark Townend

---------------------------

OC 22 Group, vRAF & VFFG Founder

vRAF_TS_Sig.jpg

BAv Captain (Ret'd), UK SERTS S3 (Ret'd)

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Gary

VATSIM is a lot different to flying in FSX, especially when you key your mic for the first time. Things seem to happen a lot quicker on VATSIM and you cant use pause as you descend on the glide slope.

If I could offer some advice, based on my own experence from when I joined back in 2005.

1) start low and slow, get a cessna go to a quiet field and listen before flying.

2) Choose an airport (not Heathrow) and stick with it.

3) learn how to do circuits, this will also at the same time help you get used to using the mic and interacting with atc

4) move upto airliners only when you feel your ready

5) when you do, fly the same route over and over again, this will help with your familiarity, I flew Cardiff, Gatwick for months, then Cardiff Glasgow.

Once you have flown a route many many times and feel confident in all weather conditions and at different times of the day and night when you branch out to different airfields things will feel so much better.

Make sure you study your charts, airport, taxi, SID's, Star's and parking.

If you follow these simple guidelines your learning experience will be an enjoyable one, most new pilots who turn up at Heathrow in a 747 invariably end up in a world of hurt and have bad experiences because of their lack of ability to deal with so many variables. Have you ever looked at the taxi chart for heathrow.

BAW123 taxi to N2W via A,link53,B,Link29,M,U. and hold short.

Seemples

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Posted
Posted (edited)

Logged on for first time to listen in, having a few problems wondered if anyone can help

1 - Parked myself at EGFF to listen in, eventally managed to contact tower through chat as the first attempt wouldn't work so followed a video on you tube to sort that, I then tried voice communication but the tower could hardly hear me and ended up recommunicating through chat. TWR said I need to boost signal. My head set is a Saitek GH20. Is this up to the job and how do I get it so the controller can hear me, I have moved all the bars up to full on the volume control on my pc

2 - Cardiff TWR logged off, so disconnected the reconnected at EGLL, I filed a flight plan to say I'm a newbe and just want to listen, but within a minute FSX crashes and sends an error report to Microsoft, Any idea what'll cause this. Its happened 3 times at LHR, But no problems at CWL

Gary

Edited by Guest
2733.png

Posted
Posted
...I have been using FSX for 12 months, but still trying to understand flying VOR, IFR and holding paterns...

If you are interested in understanding VOR's and navigation, I would suggest staying away from FMC's as they tend to automate a lot of the process. Talk to the chaps on the Pilot Mentoring scheme via the VATSIM UK forums/email addresses and ask them to help you out.

If you are just interested in flying the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]enger jets, then jump straight in.

VATSIM is a learning environment and everyone makes mistakes; we were all new at one time or another and providing you have the will to learn, you'll not look back!

Welcome.

Thanks for the words of encouragement

Gary

2733.png