You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS9 Crashes Around Texture Heavy Areas

Derek Hui 948314

Derek Hui 948314
Posted
Posted

I never had this problem until I installed the latest drivers for my nVidia card ( Version 186.18). So I uninstalled the driver using Driver Cleaner Pro in safe mode, and installed 178.24 drivers, however, I still crash. The error I'm getting is that whenever I'm around an area that has sharp textures, the screen will freeze, the sound starts looping, and FS9 crashes. My resolution goes way out of wack, like I've just booted into safe mode, and I get a window telling me about an "nv4_disp" error or something along the lines.

For example, I was just about to land at KSFO, 28R. I'm running FlyTampa's scenery BTW. I was about 500 feet off the ground when everything locked up, FS9 crashed, and I got that "nv4" error. Samething at FlyTampa's Dubai, just about to land, and all of a sudden, same error. This problem only occurs in texture intensive areas, so I can only [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it's a video card issue. It never happens around airports that have default scenery.

I'm running nHancer for FS9:

Anti-Aliasing: 8xS

Anisotropic Filtering: 16x

Vsync: Off

Texture filtering: High Quality

Programs I'm running in the background are vRoute, and ActiveSky v6.

Specs are:

Intel C2D E6600 @ 2.4

2GB RAM

nVidia 7950GT 256MB

Windows XP 32bit.

I've run MemTest overnight, but it says I have no errors.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Anti-Aliasing: 8xS

Anisotropic Filtering: 16x

there's your problem... do you know how much Video ram that eats up?

Derek Hui 948314
Posted
Posted

I'll change those settings and report back. It's still odd though because I've been using AA 8xS and AF 16x for a long time now, and these errors haven't happened until a few days ago.

Derek Hui 948314
Posted
Posted

Alright, reverted back to the current drivers, updated nHancer.

AA: 8xS

AF: Off

Turning off AF seemed to do the trick, no more crashes, and it still looks just as good.

Thank you.