You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Now accepting applications for VATUSA 3

Dane Penington 810062

Dane Penington 810062
Posted
Posted

I would like to thank Fairfax O’Riley for his time at VATUSA3 but real world commitments have taken over and he needs to step down.

At this time, I am accepting applications for a new training director. The new applicant should be at least an I-1, well versed with working with people, should have some knowledge of website maintenance, and of course well versed with ATC.

Applicants need to send their requests and a short resume/bio to [email protected]

Dane Penington

VATUSA 1

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted
The new applicant should be at least an I-1

Does this include people who at one time or another held "I" ratings but no longer hold it for whatever reason (other than having it stripped of course)?

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted

Does this include people who at one time or another held "I" ratings but no longer hold it for whatever reason (other than having it stripped of course)?

I can't speak for Dane, but, I'd think that if you don't hold a "I" rating now, why would you have the time to be the VATUSA training director? There's a reason if you were once a "I" and are no longer, right?

No?

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

http://www.skyblueradio.com

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

I can't speak for Dane, but, I'd think that if you don't hold a "I" rating now, why would you have the time to be the VATUSA training director? There's a reason if you were once a "I" and are no longer, right?

No?

No. Sometimes a person changing from an "I" rating to something else is for a completely different reason.

Let me give you a completely hypothetical situation:

Perhaps someone who has a lot of controlling experience, is well regarded by pilots and controllers and has been on the network for something like 7 years, and had at one time held an "I1" rating in their ARTCC - or even an "I3" rating as the CI of a different ARTCC which they moved to just to help out the entire region (talk about taking one for the team) and asked Vatusa3 to change the rating to C3 (since the difference between C3 and I1 or I3 doesn't denote any difference in controlling abilities - merely a change in roles and anyone who thinks different can feel free to make an a$$ of themselves when they argue otherwise) when they left the ARTCC to join VATUSA (Since an "I" rating is not a measure of controlling ability, merely a flag to show that someone is playing a specific role in their ARTCc, and if they leave that ARTCC they should give up the "I" rating and revert to their previous non "I" rating).

Then perhaps after that person felt it was time for someone else to take over their position at VATUSA (since new blood is always a good thing and anyone who spends time at any level of leadership stagnates over time) that person went to another ARTCC that already had a fully functional Instructor staff of 8 people who were online all the time. Since that person doesn't really need a fancy "I" rating to be able to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] on all of their knowledge and experience to the other members of the ARTCC, and perhaps that person doesn't really care for fancy callsigns or ratings they decide to just become a mentor and spend most of their time engaging people who are fairly new to controlling in a "non official" capacity by observing, commenting, and making recomendations to the students and/or the leadership regaring SOP.

Then perhaps that person devoted a few years of their time to other things that benefit their ARTCC, REGION, VATUSA, and VATSIM as a whole (like some sort of national routing database for example) rather than asking their chief and vatusa3 to make an exception and add a 9th instructor which would probably cause a bunch of people in other ARTCC's to get up in arms about the amount of instructors in this or that ARTCC.

Then perhaps an opportunity arose where that person might be able to make a positive long term impact for VATUSA in a training director capacity and decided to consider applying for the position but first wanted clarification regarding one of the requirements of the posting.

Again this is merely hypothetical - but given the above situation, I would think that most would have to completely agree with your statement.

There's a reason if you were once a "I" and are no longer, right?

So yes, you are correct - There's a reason I was once an "I" and no longer am.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted

No?

How about the ability to properly identify aircraft? Would that hinder your chances?

Mark Brummett

Website owner, http://www.zkcartcc.org

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted

No?

How about the ability to properly identify aircraft? Would that hinder your chances?

YEAH DANE? HUH HUH HUH?

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

Dane Penington 810062
Posted
Posted

No?

YEAH DANE? HUH HUH HUH?

LOL well, I thought that other plane was a pregnant twin otter myself

I would like to answer Ian and I will probably make some disagree but what the heck and I will keep it short. In Ian's case, I don't see why he wouldn't be a quailified applicant. If any would like to disagree with me then bring it.

Dane

Marc Sykes 852946
Posted
Posted

I frankly couldn't imagine anybody *more* qualified.

Marc Sykes

Toronto ACC Trainee

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted

I wasn't saying that Ian wasn't qualified... I was simply asking....

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

Marc Sykes 852946
Posted
Posted

That post was intended as a reply to/agreement with Dane's post.

Marc Sykes

Toronto ACC Trainee

Aaron Flodin 878523
Posted
Posted

I agree, Ian would be an excellent choice.

DPE / CFI / CFII / MEI (Gold Seal)

CP-ASEL, AMEL, IA, GLIDER, E170/175/190/195, CE-500

VATSIM Supervisor