You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Filtering Electrical Noise

Frank Otero

Frank Otero
Posted
Posted

I am operating from a location where electric power is not reliable; therefore, I use an inverter as a back up - 12vdc to 220vac 50Hz.

It seems that when I am running on the inverter a humming sound is heard by those receiving my transmissions - either in VATSIM or Yahoo phone service. I do not hear this on my side, but can tell that the power supply to my laptop does seem to have a humming/vibrating sound of itself.

I have done research on different filters, but would like to hear any suggestions from those who have faced this situation and/or have the expertise to address it. Because...... disconnecting the laptop power supply just before transmitting is heavily taxing my already limited piloting skills

Thanks in advance

1092537.png

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

A USB headset should fix that problem easily...?

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

noise on your audio is caused by poorly shielded wiring, connectors, bad soldering jobs, grounding issues ect. if your laptop is a 2 pole + ground connector then you can try a ground lift. we use these at work in a variety of configurations http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/512808

good luck with the ground humm

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Frank Otero
Posted
Posted

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the advice. I have definitely isolated the problem to the inverter while it is doing its thing converting 12vdc to 220vac, it just does not happen under other conditions. And when it does happen it is only noticeable to those on the receiving end of my transmission.

The power supply to my laptop has a two-prong connector/plug (typical for the US). The system here, however, is european, which receives two-prong connectors (different shape than the US) and offers ground via contacts on the side of the connector/plug that meet ground contacts in the wall outlet. Therefore, although my inverter is grounded (well, it is plugged to ground), my laptop connector/plug cannot take advantage of this since it connects to power through an adaptor (due to the different shapes of the US to europe connector/plug) that does not provide ground. Actually, the same be true when I plug it at home, would it not? Since it is only a two-prong connector/plug.

So, I am not sure how to provide ground to my laptop power supply. From what I have read, it seems that only the most advanced/expensive inverters produce "pure sine" electricity. I have read of some filters that correct this problem, but unfortunately at this moment my access to such devices is limited.

Once again, thanks for your help.

1092537.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
Hi Richard,

Therefore, although my inverter is grounded (well, it is plugged to ground), my laptop connector/plug cannot take advantage of this since it connects to power through an adaptor (due to the different shapes of the US to europe connector/plug) that does not provide ground. Actually, the same be true when I plug it at home, would it not? Since it is only a two-prong connector/plug.

you're quite correct even in the states on 120V your laptop would still be ungrounded. Some manufacturers used to use the 3 prong connector for their laptops.

try this site. they have quite a few products that should help you out

http://www.world-import.com/transformers.htm

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group