You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Scenery Cache

Randy Tyndall 1087023

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

I'll be honest with everyone. Beyond the power switch and basic knowledge I know very little about computers. Most of what I see everyone talking about goes in one ear and out the other because I don't understand what is being said most of the time.

I use FS9, Windows XP (Media center Edition), 1.3Ghz CPU, ATI Radeon GC (does a 7200 sound right...I think that's what it is...not sure). I fly for a VA usually, but not always, but when I do, I like the airport scenery to be realistic. To that end, I have added on several airport scenery files to the FS9 library. I understand that addons can and do eat away at the FPS, but I've typically seen while on VATSIM numbers up in the 50s/60s and down as low as 20 with no discernible "skipping", "stuttering", or "jumping". Here lately I am down to the low teens and lower, sometimes only 5 or 6 FPS. So I did some reading...but as yet have taken no actions.

I use FSInn 1.3/VATSIM weather/PMDG 737 or LevelD 767/default world scenery (with addon airports only)/No Activesky/No REX/Teamspeak sometimes during a VA event/FSACARS.

Now, to my question. When I first install an addon scenery file the is a "checkbox" for using the scenery directly or caching it. Which choice, if any, optimizes my FPS? Does it matter? There is another box for emptying the cache file upon exit, but the way I read the FS9 help topics, that is only if you did not load the full version off the disks and use the CD-ROMs to generate scenery as you go. I did a Full Install, so only need disk 4 to start the sim.

Second question...If I take off from KLAS (which is an addon airport scenery) and land at KJFK (another addon), is the Las Vegas scenery still impacting my framerates by staying in a cache file (or other file) somewhere? I ask this because it seems the longer I fly, the lower the frame rate goes.

Obviously a higher end computer is the answer, but money being an object, that is a future fix. I try to research the scenery addons as much as I can and try to choose ones that "say" FPS impact is minimal. I tried MegaScenery Seattle for awhile because they claimed their product impacted FPS less than the default Seattle scenery. Not true in my case...or something else was affecting it. See, like I said, I don't know enough to even know what to look for...but I'm slowly learning

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

not an FS9 user so i could be wrong. using the cache vs loading off the CD is going to be faster by far since HDs normally read and transfer data at a much higher rate.

as for question #2 is it happening only when you're flying online or offline as well?I can't imagine your LAS scenery effect the performance at JFK since FS(to my knowledge) only draws scenery and Ac that are about 10 to 20 mi out.

something to look at might be to add/upgrade your RAM and video card. RAM is getting cheaper by the day. Last check 4gb was around 60 to 70 bucks.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Richard. I appreciate the response. I'll look into the RAM/GC purchase to tide me over until I can get a whole new system (then I'll use the current one to run all my peripheries).

Thanks again

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

With a 1.3ghz processor, I'm not sure there is much you're going to be able to do quite frankly. Though I could be wrong.

I'd save the money on the RAM and use it towards the purchase of a new machine when you get to that point.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

I'm at my system at home now so I can actually look and see what it is. It's a Gateway 825GM, Intel PIV, 3.4 Ghz (not 1.3 as I erroneously said earlier) Processor 550, 800 Mhz FSB ( ), 1 MB L2 Cache, 8.5 GB double layer 16X DVD =/- RW and 16X DVD.

Upgrade an option or just save for the bigger/better?

Also, I see people talk about video cards and graphics cards...one and the same?

My internet connection is through a wireless router, internet is 20MB (12 through router) high speed "turbo" (that's what windjammer cable calls it.

Remember please, computer illiterate, but do so love flying on line

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

personally I would save up for a new tower.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group