You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Which to use?

Ben O'Regan 941558

Ben O'Regan 941558
Posted
Posted

I am interested in flying in VATSIM, and I was just wondering which would be the better program to use. MSFS2004 or X-Plane 8.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM Ben.

Both programs have their strengths and weaknesses. Whilst you have a better flight model in X-Plane the scenery is arguably much better in MSFS. More addons exist for MSFS.

Ultimately the call is yours. In fact there is no reason why you would have to stick with one or the other - use both at different times to suit your needs.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ben O'Regan 941558
Posted
Posted

Are both programs intercompatible online? By this I mean that if I were to be flying a plane in MSFS2k4, would I be able to see other people flying who are using X-Plane?

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

The reason you can see multiplayer aircraft isn't to do with the flight simulator itself, but with the connection software (FSinn or Squawkbox). This is the software which makes other people visible on the network through multiplayer. It doesn't matter what the other person is flying in their simulator either. If I was flying a Cessna 172 on my simulator, but selected the B744 as my aircraft on the flightplan, I'd show up to everyone on the network as a 747-400 (flying really slow).

If you are connected properly and have the multiplayer planes set up right, you will see the other aircraft as how they have filed their aircraft to be in their connection/flightplan information.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Ben O'Regan 941558
Posted
Posted

Cool. My joystick and FS2004 are on there way, and I should have them by next week.

• 11 months later...
Matthew Askin 928366
Posted
Posted

est