You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC to learn better flying?

Thomas Jelinek 938972

Thomas Jelinek 938972
Posted
Posted

Hy guys and gals at VATSIM!

First of all, i want to say thanks a lot to all the ppl making this possible.. I've been an occasional simmer for 2 years now, and the last 2 months, i got to know VATSIM and now, it's even hard for me, to go to work, and not practicing ILS approchaes

Well, as i already mentioned, i would not call myself an expirienced simmer or pilot.

In fact, i will land my plane 2 out of 3 times.. the other one is 2 go arounds and then crashing

This is (i think so) because i miss some important steps in my approach...

well, although the PRC on VATSIM is a great resource , it gives more overview about the "online part" of flying, rather than giving help to general piloting. Yes, i did lots of the FS Instructor lessons, indeed not all of them.

Now, what do you expirienced guys advise to do?

Keep on flying with MS FlightInstrucor only

Keep on flying with MS FlightInstructor but also take some vatsimflights, in quite regions, with "no traffic" (after informing atc of my lack of skills)

Yesterday, i had the chance at LOWW, because there was no traffic at all, 1 atc controller online, and also willing to help.. besides, that my SB kept on crahsing, i realy was not sure, if i will break any VATSIM rules, since they say basic piloting skills are a requirement. So my problem is to define "basic"

P.S.: Another question: Is it possible, to join another players cockpit and watch his actions while on vatsim? (Although i think this is a MS FS2004 related question, not vatsim related")

Thanks for your help and thank you again for giving such a great possibility!

Greets Tom

Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi Tom,

Welcome to Vatsim!!!

I can not answer all of your questions but i can definetly say that you are not breaking any rules on Vatsim. Basic piloting skills are good and i would personally recommended that you have some before you make online flights with ATC but at this moment it is not required.

I would suggest that you go trough and do all lessons you feel you need in the MS flight instructor but at the same time also connect to Vatsim in a quiet area, file a flightplan and make short flights. Perhaps you can start somewhere without ATC first and then go to an ATC covered area.

You can see where ATC is active by using Servinfo. you can download it here: http://avsim.com/hangar/utils/servinfo/

Also, i would suggest that you get FSNavigator. It is an excellent program for flightplanning and navigation while flying. It works as a moving map running as an add-on to the flightsim. You can connect it to the autopilot and it also has a multiplayer function so you can see other planes in the moving map. It is payware but you can try it for one month free. you can get it here:

http://www.fsnavigator.com

I don't think it is possible to join other players cockpits and watch what is going on at the moment but i'll let someone else answer that.

Good luck and best Regards / Jan Naslund

Thomas Jelinek 938972
Posted
Posted

Thank you for quick reply!

Yes, i have and use both, ServInfo and FSNavigator..

Now i feel a bit more confident, to try out..

Johan Dees 843116
Posted
Posted

Hi,

You can use it with a program from: http://www.gates.to

But it requires perhaps more difficulty then flying alone, and it need someone online you know well.

Ok. Put your plane on a gate somewhere on an atc covered area, and LISTEN and look around to atc and learn of how

other people do it.

It helps a lot.

After that, disconnect and fly your short hop to get know the takeoff and so.

Then, reconnect and try it with ATC.

Add NEWBIE in your comments in the FP. ATC then will know.

Just try.. maybe a beer before will kill the nerves..

Johan

PS: if you need help in understanding how to land properly you may mail me, and I explain..

A LITTLE LESS CONVERSTATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE!