You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Pronouncing individual digits + thousands in auto recordings

Karl Kornel 964857

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

I have a question about the two-digit ATIS recordings that EuroScope uses when it creates an automated ATIS.

As we know, EuroScope needs recordings of things like "twenty", "ten", "fourteen", and others. EuroScope can then convert "{14000}" into "fourteen thousand". I was recently informed that, at least in the United States, ATIS recordings do not use phrases like "fourteen". Instead, 14000 should be pronounced as "one four thousand". I'm basing this off of the UND ATCast Episode 10: ATIS.

One solution would be for my script to say "1 {4000}", but that looks very weird when someone views the text ATIS. I was wondering, could I change my ATIS recordings, so that the "twenty" recording says "two zero", the "fourteen" recording says "one four", and so on.

I was wondering, can anyone think of any areas where making recordings like this could cause a problem?

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Well on first look, NO, there should be any reason why not. You can actually record what ever you want. You can actually record "My name is Earl" on the "1.wav". It will show 1 in the text, but will play what you want.

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted
Well on first look, NO, there should be any reason why not. You can actually record what ever you want. You can actually record "My name is Earl" on the "1.wav". It will show 1 in the text, but will play what you want.

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to be very sure.

Actually, your comment makes me realize that there are actually even better options available! For example, the voice ATIS item that says "readback all hold short instructions and altitude [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignments" in text could say "this ATIS is sponsored by Coca-Cola; try new better-tasting Coke Zero!" in voice!

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Actually, your comment makes me realize that there are actually even better options available! For example, the voice ATIS item that says "readback all hold short instructions and altitude [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignments" in text could say "this ATIS is sponsored by Coca-Cola; try new better-tasting Coke Zero!" in voice!

In theory, yes, in real you can't due to VATSIM rules

• 3 weeks later...
Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

OK, I've made the change in the latest set of recordings (releasing in about 10 minutes). To all who use it: Please let me know if you hear a recording that does not sound right with the modified number files! In particular, send me:

• The METAR
  • The Extracted URL
  • The script returned by the ATIS Maker

Thanks all!

Smoke Bomb! POOF