You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Computer Died! Insert Taps here

Robbie Nauffts 1045788

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted

This actually happened in late July but I figured I'd ask here before I spent more money on a fix.

Anywho. Turned my computer on after work, went to make a sandwich and when I returned five minutes later it was off. I tried to turn it on but the power button was blinking and the computer would turn off after a few seconds. So I installed a new PSU thinking it was the power but now it is not doing anything. I checked all of my connections and tried again to no joy, now I am getting no lights.

Computer is a HP Pavillion with a 9800GT card and a dual core motherboard. I can't turn it on to find out the exact specs and the new power unit is 900W.

Thanks guys

BE4SQyR.jpg

“Aviation is not inherently dangerous, but it is terribly unforgiving.”

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Is the CPU fan secured? Doesn't take long for a chip to overheat if it's not making contact with the heatsink.

Any beeps? Lights?

Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted

Everything inside seems to be in place. When I click the power I get a few clicks and nothing.

BE4SQyR.jpg

Joseph Jaster 932528
Posted
Posted

What do you mean by 'clicks?' A high-pitched static electricity like click, or a lower pitched one? How rapidly is it clicking? (make sure the power cord is fully in on both the computer, and wall outlet too)

As Erhan said, any sequence of beeps or lights could also help narrow it down if it's failing hardware.

4422.png

I1 - CZVR

Help controllers maintain their sanity; file a correct equipment code http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_codes

• 3 months later...
Robbie Nauffts 1045788
Posted
Posted

So an update on this (thank you Futureshop)

Because I have an aftermarket part in my computer (two to be exact) my warrenty is void and they won't cover the repairs. I asked for my money back from the warrenty and they just kinda looked at me.

Anyways. I put in a new PSU, still nothing comes on. No beeps, chirps or anything. I pull out the graphics card, nothing. Click power and it just sits there. I tried a few new outlets with no luck either so I am stumped at this point. My $1400.00 dollars of awesome is sitting there doing jack.

Thoughts?

BE4SQyR.jpg

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if you were getting ticks, i'd say your hard drive has gone bye bye. i had an old one just die on me aswell which i only used for storage.

ofcourse you dont have to hear that either for hard drive failure, sometimes youll just hear it wind up and then stop.

basically i'd say 3 things to look at, one of which you already changed. look at your hard drive or CPU.

if it is the hard drive, dont just throw it out. the data on it can be recovered if you need it, not normally cheap tho. only the data can be recovered tho, not the drive.

if you dont care about the data, i highly recommend you destroy the drive if it is infact your issue. dont just throw it in the garbage, anyone with the skills can grab your info off it, if you ever done any banking on it, you definitely want it destroyed.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

Just fixed an issue much like this for a client with a Pavilion a couple days ago. ended up being the PSU was over loaded by a few watts(think 10give or take) his tower ran great it decided to die. when the PSU went it also took out his graphics card. A new GPU and PSU later he's rockin and rolling again

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Let's also start to isolate things here. Do all of this with the case for your computer off. You'll need to physically look at things here. A flashlight will come in handy if you don't already have adequate lighting.

First, pull the controller and power cables from your hard drive, then turn on the computer. While you turn it on, see if the CPU fan starts to turn. If so, you know that you are getting power to the CPU. Also, with the HD disconnected, the computer should have no problems with the POST to the BIOS. It should, however, complain that there is no hard drive available.

Next, does this Pavilion have onboard video? If so, turn off the computer, disconnect the power from the video card, and pull the card out. Connect your monitor cable to the onboard plug. Turn on the computer again, and see what you can get.Once again, it should POST to the BIOS, but complain that there is no hard drive.

Oh. When you turn on the computer, do the lights flash on the CD drives you have?

Optional: Pull the hard drive. If you have another one around, see if you can connect it to another computer. If you can start that computer, and the drive spins up, that is good.

If you answer 'yes' to the CD question, and you still do not have anything coming up at the BIOS, you are looking at a fried motherboard. To the extent of it, I don't know. Good news and bad news on this:

Good news. Just about most, if all parts may be salvageable. My guess is that the video card, hard drive, and optical drives are okay. If you wanted, you could easily buy another case, and transfer those into it, saving you quite a bit of money.

Bad news. You will need a new motherboard. Unfortunately, HP is proprietary, so it may cost you a pretty penny to get one from them to fit your existing case. In fact, it may be cheaper for you to buy a new case and motherboard, and put everything else into it. Also, the extent of what was fried with the motherboard comes into question; namely, the CPU and memory. There is no real way to test those, except to put those into a new computer. The question with doing that, is that would you feel safe in trusting something that might be damaged. It may be better to buy a new case, motherboard, CPU, and memory, and move the other hardware to this new case. Either way, you're doing a rebuild.

My suggestion, if it is indeed the motherboard:

1. save everything you can off the hard drive. If it can be put into another computer, then backed up, you'll be fine.
  2. pull all hardware you think you'll want. This includes video card, and any other drives you want.
  3. buy new case, motherboard, cpu, memory, and optical drive. install existing hard drive, video card into new case with new hardware (optical drives from HP might not work in the new case).
  4. if you have the media, reformat/reinstall OS on the hard drive. Yes, it will mean setting it up again, but you have everything backed up from the old drive, right? RIGHT?
  5. restore any personal data onto new drive.

This may be the longer way to handle it, but at least this way, you aren't dependent on HP or anyone else's warranty/service for your machine. This also gives you the freedom to put anything you want into this machine. It will be more flexible.

At the least, try the first part, and let us know what you get.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller