You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flight Planning

Duane Buck

Duane Buck
Posted
Posted

Newbie question, sorry.

How do you know what flight plan to file unless you know the specifics of your departure and arrival airport beforehand? I.E. is the airport using north or south departure ops.

Is there a way to check that out beforehand and then plan accordingly?

Thanks

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
www.simroutes.com and www.vroute.net are great tools to help plan your route. as for knowing what runways are in use easiest way to find out would be to fire up FS or one of the radar clients and check the atis if one is available, if not ask the controller providing services to the airport. Or if the controller is busy or not present take a look at the current wind and pick a runway

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Hi Duane,

You do not need to file a specific departure or arrival.

Just file the enroute part of the flight plan, ATC will allocate you an appropriate

departure which will take you to your 1st en-route waypoint.

The same goes for the arrival, the last en-route waypoint will be used by ATC to allocate the

correct arrival procedure.

It is not possible to know in advance which runway is in use since weather has a

nasty habit of changing when you least expect it.

Don't know which airports you fly out of - but have a look at the departure procedures

(SIDs) you will usualy see that there is a way of getting to your first waypoint

no matter which runway is in use.

If not you can always be allocated a non-standard departure.

I hope this helps a bit.

Best regards Graham

Duane Buck
Posted
Posted

Thanks...that helps.

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

There may be some difference in world.

In U.S. departure and arrival are typical filled in flightplan and may be used no matter of active runway.

In Europe departure and arrival are typical not filled in flightplan and could be selected by ATC due to active runway at the time of clearancy.

Each VATSIM region organization (see right side of vatsim.net ) typical have prefered routes or links exactly how to fill routes.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

Hi Lennart,

Not wishing to start a m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive debate here but:-

I know the examples in the PRC show the FP to include SID's and STAR's and not

being a RW pilot I am confused why the FAA docomeent

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATPubs/AIM/AIM_Basic_2-14-08.pdf

section 5-1-8 does not give SID's & STARs in the examples but goes on to

say that SID's and STARs may be issued by ATC as appropriate.

I may be missing something though ??

Best regards Graham

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted
In U.S. departure and arrival are typical filled in flightplan and may be used no matter of active runway.

Actually, Some SIDs and STARs are runway specific, i.e., there may be a SID that can only be used with say Rwy 16L, but not 34R. For example, the PRFUM2 departure out of KLAS on the chart I have is ONLY used for the 19's and 25's, NOT 01 or 07.

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

I use the word "typical" and "may" due to the reason that it is a matter of variation and flexibility.

In addition, I mean you can fill a SID in flightplan no matter of active runway due to it is a prefered SID/runway. It does not mean the SID must be used if an other runway happen to be active, then ATC may allter the SID as well.

I know ATC in U.S. may change SID/STAR (if you have them filled). Yes many are runway adapted. ATC may vector to an other runway, or early [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign an other SID/STAR.

I did fill SID/STAR in U.S. due to the VATSIM region organization sites did have SID/STAR in there recommended prefered flightplans.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png