You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Good comfortable headsets?

Ryan Whitford 995253

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

Ok im going on 2 years with my headset and its pretty bad Im missing a left ear piece and it hangs on my neck, I wanted to go back to blasting my music in my headphones instead of my speakers haha. But its time I kick it off life support. Its funny how after all these years of broken headsets (Ive been through at least 6), ive always had the problem of the Microphone dying, but this one the mic is perfect just... missing left ear and the right side of the headset is broken and being held on by tape... haha

So im asking you guys what the best for me and waht you guys prefer because I hate getting mixed reviews on bestbuy and newegg.com

-I like to have supreme sound quality

-And would prefer USB

Thanks!

http://www.allegiantva.org Join if you have skill!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

I would never recommend headphones over speakers. Anything less than an inch away from your ear is no good, and will cause hearing loss even at moderate levels. But for the sake of vatsim I've found the Steel Series to be the best, and most durable period! I use the 3H model and the one thing I love about is, it's next to impossible to mute by accident. Pretty decent sound quality especially for the price. And of course it's USB.

I've had other headsets in the past but this is the first one I would truly recommend.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

I recently got a Logitech USB Headset for $40. Works extremely good, it has some cushion around the ears, volume control on the cable, closer to the earpiece...I got mine from a local Frys store here in NORCAL, but I am sure you can find one on Amazon or something...

Sound quality, clarity everything is A1, it's got a pretty long cable, comparable to my older one . It may not be the top of the line, but I have hadn't any problem with it, flying or controlling. My longest session was doing GND ctrl around ZOA for a continuous stretch for 4 hrs not a single break...not once did it bother me.

My system is a custom build and runs XP Pro.

Good luck finding one!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

i have this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7951326&type=product&id=1152836574938

great sound quality. sais for notebooks, but works just fine on any pc.

even has a case so you dont break them

i did find that if you adjust the ear piece too much the speakers will get loose, but its an easy fix, just pop the cover off and tighten with a phillips screw driver then put the cover back on.

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

I have tried all sorts of headsets and have found the following to be the best in comfort but also in quality of sound (both input & output): http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/pfhead.htm

The only thing is that it does not come in USB. It uses 3.5mm audio connectors (plugs into any sound card).

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Clarke Kruger
Posted
Posted
I have tried all sorts of headsets and have found the following to be the best in comfort but also in quality of sound (both input & output): http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/pfhead.htm

The only thing is that it does not come in USB. It uses 3.5mm audio connectors (plugs into any sound card).

And unfortunatley they seemed to be designed for kids or women. If you have a pretty good adult sized head they don't fit that well.

I have mine open to the max and they start to hurt after awhile, I actually uplug it while i'm not in ATC covered zones just to get a break.

Shame, other than that they are a great set of phones.

Clarke Kruger

Edmonton (CYEG) AB, Canada

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 1

Have a question? Email [email protected]

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

I've actually got the same set Charan has and they work surprisingly well for the price. I'm sure there are more comfortable ones or awesome sounding ones out there, but for the money, this one is pretty good considering. I've never had an issue with it.

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Jody Turner 1018734
Posted
Posted
I would never recommend headphones over speakers. Anything less than an inch away from your ear is no good, and will cause hearing loss even at moderate levels. .

So this is why air traffic controllers retire after a few years.

Jody Turner - I1

Toronto FIR - Facility Engineer

8942.png

Daniel Eamon Brennan
Posted
Posted
I would never recommend headphones over speakers. Anything less than an inch away from your ear is no good, and will cause hearing loss even at moderate levels. .

So this is why air traffic controllers retire after a few years.

Your man makes a good point, I wore headphones for a good 18 months to listen to moderate volume of music around 65-70dB etc. It was not long before I noticed hearling loss. Granted, my hearing is still in with what the UK regard as "normal range", but my more sensitive hearing is no more (previously I could hear volumes of noise at around 2-5dB).

Earphones/headphones at a loud level are around the 140dB mark and this is equivalent to an aircraft carrier deck and will damage your hearing. Check the back of the packaging to see their max. output in Watts and decibels.

On the manufacturer note, I'm not sure if Sennheiser do PC headphones, but their normal ones are unbelievable good, but they don't come cheap!

Please, for your own sake be very very careful with your choice of headset and your hearing

Take Care,

Daniel Eamon Brennan - C3

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

If you're willing to invest in a good headset, go for Sennheiser or Plantronics.

Quality + durability + comfort....but at a cost... $$$

As for the Speakers vs. Headset debate - it's not WHAT you use, it's how you use it. If you turn up the speakers to overpower a 747 at takeoff thrust (~140 dB)...you'll most likely experience pain (most places quote 120 dB as the pain threshold level).

It's the same as the famous fuel economy comparison. They dub the Toyota Prius as a 'green car' but in reality, a V8 BMW gets better MPG at highway speeds than the Prius. It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it.

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

Ive got Gamecom 777 by Plantronics. I wish I would have gotten the Turtle Beach HPA2. Go with the HPA2

VATSIM Supervisor

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

Whatever Headset you use. make sure it's a USB headset :p

That way you can split the streams properly between headset and not-headset.

I also will only use my headset for Takeoffs and Landings usually. With the headset coming off in Cruise once I'm settled at my Flight Level.

Thus I suggest something Strong which will handle getting pulled on and off the head many many times.

No names to throw at you unfortunatley, I'v only had 2 headsets. The current one more successful than the last. (since it hasn't broken yet )

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015