You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Clarify COPX COPN in Simulator

Andrew Wolcott 814793

Andrew Wolcott 814793
Posted
Posted

I need some clarification here. No offense to the developers, but I sometimes find their writing hard to understand. Also, since most files for ES are done for Europe I get confused with the ATC language of FIRs et al.

I am used to ARTCC and individual sectors within ARTCCs, and then TRACON.

Anyhow, could someone please clarify to me, that if I define each individual sector for my ARTCC (Center) in the ESE file as well as the TRACON (Approach/Departure) and also define COPX and COPN points for each, in accordance to the real world LOAs, and finally in a simulator scenario define a controller for each sector listed in the ESE, that when I run the simulator, the simulated controllers will handoff to the next sector at the appropriate time, and also altitude?

If this is the case, does this also work while connected to the sweatbox server?

I am trying to write one big scenario for the entire Atlanta ARTCC, so that we can train Center students on the different areas within the ARTCC.

Thanks for everyone's help, and especially the developers for such a wonderful program.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Wolcott - vZTL ARTCC

nmvx9d-2.png

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

In the current public release you can only define two simulated controllers. If the AUTO check is set, then these controllers will initiate a handoff to you when the plane is just 3 minutes to your sector. They also will accept handoff if you initiate it to them. It is planned to be used for a standalone simulator when you practice on your own. It will not be changed in the next release.

Also SweatBox is designed for a real trainer/trainee sessions. Automatic handoff will not work there.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

I've used the "self-training" mode in an Approach position in the UK quite a bit and it does work very nicely. You could (perhaps should) have one sector file for the whole ARTCC and define all the sectors and positions, entry and exit points as you describe. But you would have to have separate scenarios for each sector when a trainee runs a simulator session.

Each scenario would have simulated controllers for the previous and next sector and they would either handoff at the coordination point including the agreed level (which will be shown in the tag), or accept the trainee's handoff.

I haven't tried the onward coordination feature in the simulator - I'm not sure if the simulated next controller would accept those.

Incidentally, the trainee can log the session and send the log file to a mentor who can replay and evaluate it at a later date!

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

I haven't tried the onward coordination feature in the simulator - I'm not sure if the simulated next controller would accept those.

What I tried, he does.

The simulator GUI is a bit hard to learn but once you get the trick you can train hard to absurd scenarios. Thanks for this great feature, Gergely!

OT, but I do not want to start a new topic on that:

Would be nice if planes would enter a hold at their clearance limit (if one is defined in the Sim Session) and if selected STARs could be extracted from the ESE and added to the simulated plane's route automatically.

/OT