You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS9 random CTD

Eric Schultz 1130446

Eric Schultz 1130446
Posted
Posted

Hey,

I just started flying on VATSIM yesterday and am having a great time, but I've experienced a sudden crash to desktop of both FS9 and Squawk Box at least five times since then at random points, two of which during the last flight alone. My best guess is that it's an incompatibility with one of my other add-ons, or perhaps AVG Anti-Virus. Are there any known conflicts with ActiveSky 6.5 (I have the checkbox for VATSIM weather checked) or FSP[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

theres lots of things that can cause a CTD. the hard part is narrowing it down to whats causing it.

the most common ones tho are scenery error and memory issues. the scenery issue you can usually narrow down pretty quick if its only happening in a certain area. the memory issue can occur after you've been running FS for an extended period and your system can no longer take it.

other CTD's can be caused be excessive heat in your system, in order to prevent a complete system failure, it will close everything and shutdown the system.

Eric Schultz 1130446
Posted
Posted

Just had it happen again on approach into Denver. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with scenery, or memory; I've had it happen anywhere from shortly after starting up and getting IFR clearance to during approach to an airport. Heat doesn't seem probable either as the side cover of my PC is off and I've never seen heat rise above 60C. Going to try turning off Active Sky.

Jason Thompson
Posted
Posted
theres lots of things that can cause a CTD. the hard part is narrowing it down to whats causing it.

the most common ones tho are scenery error and memory issues. the scenery issue you can usually narrow down pretty quick if its only happening in a certain area. the memory issue can occur after you've been running FS for an extended period and your system can no longer take it.

other CTD's can be caused be excessive heat in your system, in order to prevent a complete system failure, it will close everything and shutdown the system.

Ernesto,

Regarding the memory issues what can be done as I had that happen to me during the CTP event, I had this message saying flight simulator has run out of memory / virtual memory?. Also this does happen at other times aswell.

The only things I'd done during the event was paused the sim several times to change things on Vroute and also changed my views on the cockpit, and I'd only got Vroute and FS2004 running on the taskbar.

Thanks

Jason

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

depends on your system, how much memory do you have? the main way to fix it is to get more RAM, its cheapest and best upgrade you can do to your system.

other things to do is run less programs in the background. for short flights you wont notice much of a difference, but for the long hauls, every bit counts

Eric Schultz 1130446
Posted
Posted

I've been flying the King Air almost exclusively since I've started so no flights over about three hours so far, and on one flight from SEA to SFO I monitored the XP task manager; it showed that I was never using over 70% CPU capacity or 1 out of my 2GB's of RAM during the flight. I also turned off pretty much every non-FS program and it still happened; I'm thinking it's some sort of conflict between SqawkBox and ActiveSky because it only seems to happen while I'm on VATSIM (I've had FS9 for years and this crashing problem has only cropped up now). I turned off a good number of AS's "extra" features in the options menu I haven't had a crash yet. But then I've not been flying that long under the new settings. We'll just have to see, I guess.

Also, in response to the 'virtual memory' crash, I have my page file set incredibly huge, and the crashes I experience are instantaneous, with no message, error sound, etc.

Eric Schultz 1130446
Posted
Posted

Update: Problem persists, and I'm completely at a loss; this only started happening when I started using Squawkbox/VATSIM, and only when I'm connected; it seems to happen mostly on my Seattle-Denver route, which really doesn't say much since at this point I only really have one other route which is Seattle-San Francisco. No error messages, no hanging, just instant FS9 death, though upon further inspection Squawkbox and ActiveSky seem to keep on running. Disabled all of the AS features I thought may have been culprits (interfering with Squawkbox somehow), I guess next step is to try simply running without it and using the default real weather system. Does FS9 not produce any sort of crash log that can be inspected?

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

try turning off the weather in SB

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Eric Schultz 1130446
Posted
Posted

Turning off SB weather is the very first thing I tried when troubleshooting this issue.

• 11 months later...
Richard Leger 1170777
Posted
Posted

Hello Eric,

This post is almost a year old, if you're still around it likely means you've found a solution to this. I would be interested to find out what you found.

I just started on VATSIM last week... the past week has been a nightmare of constant VATSIM crashes. I usually get 5-15 mins on VATSIM, then the sim disappears faster than any eye blink you've ever seen. One 1000th of a second it's working just dandy, and the next 1000th of a sec. it's completely gone, no fuss, no muss, it just vanishes faster than David Copperfield.

My sim still doesn't crash on GSX, WestcoastATC, nor VBNav, I can still fly on those without crashing. I've been FS simming for nearly 4 years, and never had sim crash problems until I started flying on VATSIM. I use FSInn to fly on VBNav, they use the FSD-win server host as well, and I never crash on that server. I thought the only difference between all my other simming and that of VATSIM was that I was using "in-game" communications, communicating through FSInn or SB3 (yes, I did try SB3 as well, and get the crashes with it too), all the other simming servers I fly on we communicate through external clients such as TS2, TS3, or Mumble. Seems that's not the problem, since I connected to VATSIM last evening and sat at a parking without tuning the radio to any controlled frequencies, and the sim crashed after 5-10 mins. at most.

I can run Active Sky, I can task switch to desktop or other applications while I'm flying, etc. on other networks and never crash... I only crash on VATSIM.

It has to be something to do with the FSD-win configurations or maybe the various background communications between the VATSIM system/network and your computer. Someone musta figured this out already...

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

head on over to the FSINN help section of the forum, at the top, check out the installation post.

if you are already using FSINN just fine on another network, then i could take a guess that you've set it up correctly, but i'd prefer not to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume. so make sure to go over that post, check to see if its how you have it setup.

also check out the FAQ's linked at the bottom of it, contains more troubleshooting.

also do you get any error reports when it crashes? or nothing at all?

have you tried the UIautomationcore.dll?

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

1. If you have router, make sure to disable uPnP (Universial Plug and Play) in the router ( uPnP is typical default enabled ).

Squawkbox is not compatible uPnP and may crash, typical after a few minutes. The advice is for Squawkbox and not for FSInn.

2. Try run Squawkbox external from Windows menu, and not internal from FS menu.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Richard Leger 1170777
Posted
Posted

Thank you Ernesto, I don't know what I did, but I somehow stumbled onto the solution. I'll re-check the FSInn settings tomorrow (getting late here now). I was reading the FAQ, hoping to find additional into to help, but "the gang" was ready to take off, so I decided to put the troubleshooting aside for a wee bit and try to fly a bit and see how long I'd last this time (normally would crash within 10 mins). To my great surprise, I finished a 2 hour flight, so looks like I'm "Good to Go" now. Guess I'd made a few changes in the FSInn settings, but didn't think I'd changed anything new. I'll try to figure out what change(s) I made.

Thanks Ernesto and Lennart. Whoohoo! I'm a flyin' now!

head on over to the FSINN help section of the forum, at the top, check out the installation post.

if you are already using FSINN just fine on another network, then i could take a guess that you've set it up correctly, but i'd prefer not to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume. so make sure to go over that post, check to see if its how you have it setup.

also check out the FAQ's linked at the bottom of it, contains more troubleshooting.

also do you get any error reports when it crashes? or nothing at all?

have you tried the UIautomationcore.dll?