You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

When is "radar contact" not appropriate?

Kurtis Snyder 854599

Kurtis Snyder 854599
Posted
Posted

I was wondering. I thought I had read somewhere that it is not correct to say "radar contact" on intial contact of a plane that was in previous control of another controler. For example, if I am controlling LA Center and I get a handoff from ALB Ctr, when the pilots contacts me, would I say "callsign, radar contact, continue as filed"? I thought that you only say that on the first contact an aircraft has made with a controller. I hope this made sense...

BNA Hub Mgr, Southwest Virtual

Senior Controller, ZME ARTCC

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted

The phrase radar contact means "I have found you on radar and will now begin providing the services you requested(flight following) or IFR radar services"

note the word begin, since you cant begin whats already been started the only controller that should say Radar contact

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Alex Goldstein 857161
Posted
Posted

Usually when an aircraft is handed off to you from another center you normally just need to say "N4715, Memphis Center, good evening", say you just log on or an aircraft coming from uncontrolled airspace calls you you would say "N4715, Memphis Center, radar contact FL250 25 miles east of Jackson VOR..." Hope i helped

Alex Goldstein

VFR Trips - Coming Soon

The first online community specifically geared towards the common private pilot. Everything ranging from published VFR (Visual-Flight-Rules) trips to an online aviation community.

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted

The reasoning behind this is because if you are accepting a handoff from another facility, you have acknowledged radar contact and don't need to tell the a/c that. That's why approach controllers always say it, because tower is techically not a radar position and doesn't really do a "handoff".

Mark Brummett

Website owner, http://www.zkcartcc.org

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

Aaron Flodin 878523
Posted
Posted

And for this ladies and gentlemen we take a stroll down to the Bible of ATC

Chapter 5 section 3......

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/ATC/Chp5/atc0503.html

DPE / CFI / CFII / MEI (Gold Seal)

CP-ASEL, AMEL, IA, GLIDER, E170/175/190/195, CE-500

VATSIM Supervisor

Kurtis Snyder 854599
Posted
Posted

Thanks alot guys! That is what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure!

BNA Hub Mgr, Southwest Virtual

Senior Controller, ZME ARTCC

Fritz Eisler 879638
Posted
Posted

Also the other way around . . if no adjacent controller present you say " . . no further ATC available, radar service terminated, switch to Unicom . ."

Greetz,

Fritz

Andrew Miller 873677
Posted
Posted

If a Departure Controller handed you off to Center, the center should not say radar contact, because the last controller already had you radar identified. So you are correct, he didn't need to say it.

Andrew Miller

Victor Lima 889733
Posted
Posted

I'm not a controller and have never flown in American airspace as a pilot but I know for a fact that in other parts of the world such as my home country (Brazil) where we don't have radar available everywhere controllers always say to an a/c on inital contact whether they are under radar survaillance or not. Doesn't matter if it is a handoff from a another ATC where the a/c was flying under radar. If there is radar contact the controller must announce it so that the pilot knows that from that point on he does not have to report in on the compulsory reporting fixes depicted in the ERCs.

Regards,

Victor Lima