You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

scenery + aircraft external network?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

just wondering. is it possible in FS9 to move my aircraft and scenery folder to another pc i have on my network that i use as storage, would FS9 be able to read off it?

cons? pro's?

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

If you have Vista, you should be able to create a symlink to a network drive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

But it's much easier just to get a new, larger hard drive for FS9.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

sweet, would this also be the same in XP?

i use a laptop currently to fly, so more stuff i can move out of it the better my performance

my gaming machine is still on the "to do" list unfortunately. hopefully if not this year, next year ill be able to enjoy FS9 at full settings and maybe fsx

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
sweet, would this also be the same in XP?

No. Based on the article, NTFS symlinks to a network drive are only supported on Vista and above. You're welcome to try; I've never actually fooled around with symlinks on NTFS.

i use a laptop currently to fly, so more stuff i can move out of it the better my performance

I don't understand - so long as you have the disk space, your performance won't vary. A computer with a 100GB drive performs the same if the drive is 10% full or 85% full. If you're actually running out of space, you may want to try NTFS compression on your scenery and aircraft folders, but that will have a non-zero effect on performance.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

more stuff i can move out of it the better my performance

Not sure, it could even become way worse. Network reads are way slower than HDD reads.

Having aircrafts off the PC disk would require much longer load times, while sceneries could create terrible stutters in dense areas.

I really don't think it's a good idea.

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

I also say, no performance to gain as long as the HDD is not more than about 90% full.

It will start fragment more quickly (= bee slow), maybe when about 90-95 % full.

HDD via network may slow down the reading.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

if you're looking for slightly better read times you may want to look at the speed of your current drive and think about upgrading to a fast one. did a quick try of putting planes and scenery on a network drive and it slowed slightly. depending on what speed/s your network can run at will also effect your performance. you'll get better luck on a gigabit network then a 10mb providing all the components can run at the top speed of your network

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

thanks guys. would an external drive a better idea instead of network?

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

An external drive would almost for sure be faster than network (depends on what drive... ) , but i still don't think it's the solution, you may want to make a couple of tests, ecen on the network to see if it works as you expect or if it's too slow...

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2