You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Connecting to Vatsim using Squawkbox 4

Sunny Chew 986371

Sunny Chew 986371
Posted
Posted

Hi i am new to this and i just wanted to connect to vatsim using sb4. i started the flightsim and launch the sb4. able to connect to the network but i do not see any activity in the airport. is there anything that i have left out here? pls help. would like to experience the virtual online scene. many thanks!

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Hi i am new to this and i just wanted to connect to vatsim using sb4. i started the flightsim and launch the sb4. able to connect to the network but i do not see any activity in the airport. is there anything that i have left out here? pls help. would like to experience the virtual online scene. many thanks!

It's unlikely that you're having a hardware issue. Check out the Squawkbox Help forum. Click on the Board Index link above then click on Squawkbox Help.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Sunny Chew 986371
Posted
Posted

Hi James,

From what i see from the SB forum, i guess most probably it's the antivirus installed into my system. i am currently using norton security for my vista. I am using FSX sp2 with accelerator installed. Anyway here are my steps of starting up the SB.

1) Launched my FSX

2) Load up my plane and place in an airport parked.

3) from the menu i launched my SB

4) Connected to one of the network.

So is this step correct? i do not received any error messages still i guess i am the only plane there and no one else. I even tried going to the busiest airport for eg KLAX. Any ideas?

Thanks again for your prompt reply!

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Hi James,

From what i see from the SB forum, i guess most probably it's the antivirus installed into my system. i am currently using norton security for my vista. I am using FSX sp2 with accelerator installed. Anyway here are my steps of starting up the SB.

1) Launched my FSX

2) Load up my plane and place in an airport parked.

3) from the menu i launched my SB

4) Connected to one of the network.

So is this step correct? i do not received any error messages still i guess i am the only plane there and no one else. I even tried going to the busiest airport for eg KLAX. Any ideas?

Thanks again for your prompt reply!

The first sticky in the Squawkbox Help forum addresses this issue. Did you try that fix? If it fails test uninstalling your third party firewall/antivirus program (Norton) to identify if it’s the culprit. If you find it is, then you’d have to contact the Norton people to help you tame it or get a different third party firewall/antivirus program that will be more tameable.

Of course you should make sure first that you’re in a vicinity that has other Aircraft. You can do that with Servinfo from the software addons section in the PRC.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

also try launching Squawkbox from the start menu

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Sunny Chew 986371
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys!

Well after uninstalling the norton and disabling the windows firewall, I am now able to see a little traffic but I cannot hear any voice from ATC or the pilots. Most of their planes are mark as 'unspecified'. Anyway, many thanks for helping me out here. At least one problem is solved. By the way, can you recommend me any airport which is busy? I would like to experience how they interact with the ATC. Just a newbie.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Hi Guys!

Well after uninstalling the norton and disabling the windows firewall, I am now able to see a little traffic but I cannot hear any voice from ATC or the pilots. Most of their planes are mark as 'unspecified'. Anyway, many thanks for helping me out here. At least one problem is solved. By the way, can you recommend me any airport which is busy? I would like to experience how they interact with the ATC. Just a newbie.

Look at the PRC. Start out with the require reading section. Then look at the First Flight Lesson.

Grab Servinfo from the Software Addons section. You can use this to see how VATSIM is populated.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky: