You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Need help with my Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals...

Dustin Janise 1131793

Dustin Janise 1131793
Posted
Posted

Over the past few days, I've been working on getting VATSIM setup on my Computer. Well since then I have been having a problem with my Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. They were working fine up to the point I installed SP1 and SP2. That caused many other problems so I took off SP2 and most of the problems stopped. Long story short I had to uninstall FSX, FSInn, and FSCopilot twice trying to get the bugs sorted out. It works better now, but is not quite right.

The problems I'm having with my Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals is that when I hit the brakes on the pedals the brakes stay on. But the brakes don't stick on if the pedals aren't plugged in. Last night I did the last of two uninstalls and tried the pedals before I put on SP1, and had the same problem but it showed the brakes were on, but the plane did not act like it. so It's working ok now, but it's not quite right.

Anyone ever have this problem, or know what I can do it fix this?

BTW, I have Vista - FSX SP1.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Over the past few days, I've been working on getting VATSIM setup on my Computer. Well since then I have been having a problem with my Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. They were working fine up to the point I installed SP1 and SP2. That caused many other problems so I took off SP2 and most of the problems stopped. Long story short I had to uninstall FSX, FSInn, and FSCopilot twice trying to get the bugs sorted out. It works better now, but is not quite right.

The problems I'm having with my Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals is that when I hit the brakes on the pedals the brakes stay on. But the brakes don't stick on if the pedals aren't plugged in. Last night I did the last of two uninstalls and tried the pedals before I put on SP1, and had the same problem but it showed the brakes were on, but the plane did not act like it. so It's working ok now, but it's not quite right.

Anyone ever have this problem, or know what I can do it fix this?

BTW, I have Vista - FSX SP1.

Hi, Doug. It's me again. Did you install the latest driver from the Saitek Site?

Selected OS : Windows 7 and Vista 32 bit:

ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/full/Saitek_Pro_Flight_Rudder_Pedals_SD6_32.exe

The Saitek Drivers Support page:

http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Dustin Janise 1131793
Posted
Posted

Had no clue about it. But if you think it might help I'll give'er a try. Do I get the Driver or Software?

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Had no clue about it. But if you think it might help I'll give'er a try. Do I get the Driver or Software?

I would consider the driver imperative. I would consider the software optional. The software will give you additional options for programming the features (buttons, sliders, and dials as well as creating and saving profiles). At least this is the way it is with my Saitek X45 Joystick, and Joysticks by other manufacturers.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Dustin Janise 1131793
Posted
Posted

Ok, I'll give the driver a try.

Dustin Janise 1131793
Posted
Posted

Just downloaded the driver and it did not fix it.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Just downloaded the driver and it did not fix it.

Reviewing the thread the current culprit might be in your first message.

Over the past few days, I've been working on getting VATSIM setup on my Computer. Well since then I have been having a problem with my Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. They were working fine up to the point I installed SP1 and SP2. That caused many other problems so I took off SP2 and most of the problems stopped.

There’s a chance that the drivers that came with your OS worked with FSX-no Service Patch. Maybe the drivers on the site will work with the current version of FSX which has been out for a number of years. All the hardware drivers I’ve personally viewed have been geared for the full version of Flight Simulator. The FSX team announced that it wasn’t complete when they first released it. They said it was partially complete after they released SP1. Then they said it was complete when they released SP2.

I understand it might be a lot of work to track down issues. But I would have retained the complete version of Flight Simulator and tried to fix it from there.

Long story short I had to uninstall FSX, FSInn, and FSCopilot twice trying to get the bugs sorted out. It works better now, but is not quite right.

This separate issue should be addressed in the FSInn forum. If FSInn isn’t quite right, put a description of what you find wrong with it, and I’m sure the users in the FSInn forum can help you get it totally right.

For your Saitek hardware, try this registry fix. Save the code below into a file named “saitek.reg” and run it by double clicking on it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties]

It’ll remove conflicting settings and allow them to be rebuilt the next time you access your controller.

This will most likely work regardless of the service pack level you have. But I still think you’d be best by using the latest.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

sticky:

Dustin Janise 1131793
Posted
Posted

This is going to sound really dumb, but how do I save a file?

I really don't think it has anything to do with FSInn. It started with when I installed SP1/SP2. But I uninstalled SP2, and I have to have SP1 for FSCopilot to show up in Add Ons. The pedals still show they are locked on even with out SP1 or FSInn installed. So in my mind, it's something to do with the Rudder Pedals or maybe the settings thats causing the problems.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

don't have the pedals... but tryin blowing them out with canned air. might be something stuck somewhere it doesn't belong

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
This is going to sound really dumb, but how do I save a file?

It doesn’t sound dumb as all. I don’t know anyone that knows all there is about computers.

Copy and paste the content of into notepad. You can find the save option under the “File” menu. Most programs have “File Edit View” in the title bar. You can bring up the menu from either by clicking on the name.

If you have the file extension hidden it’ll tack an extension “.txt” at the end of your file name. You’ll know this has happened if you click on your file and it brings up Notepad rather than running the registry script.

If this happens you can turn unhide the extension while you save the file then hide it back if that’s your preference after you’ve saved (or renamed the file) to the .reg extension.

You can unhide extensions by Clicking on Tools (from the File explorer) -> View -> [uncheck] Hide Extensions for known file types.

I really don't think it has anything to do with FSInn.

I know this has nothing to do with FSInn. You mentioned a different problem with FSInn in your opening post in this thread:

It works better now, but is not quite right.

I was responding to that to say if you post a description of what is not quite right about FSInn in the FSInn help forum the good users will [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist you in getting it totally right.

It started with when I installed SP1/SP2. But I uninstalled SP2, and I have to have SP1 for FSCopilot to show up in Add Ons. The pedals still show they are locked on even with out SP1 or FSInn installed. So in my mind, it's something to do with the Rudder Pedals or maybe the settings thats causing the problems.

I agree. This is absolutely true. As I mentioned before, you’d be better off by having SP2 installed while you debug the Saitek device. It’ll work with the full version of FSX.

I’m also certain that it’ll work with less than the full version of FSX, but in my mind you’ve unnecessarily crippled FSX.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

sticky:

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys

well what a tale of woe this is, butthe solution is simple and there would have been no need for all the reinstalls at all.

First of all reinstall sp2 and everything else that you might have taken off.

Plug your pedals back in, then go to the calibration software within FSX and when you get to the pedals section make sure you click on reverse and your problems will be over.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Dustin Janise 1131793
Posted
Posted

See thats the thing. My Computer can not handle SP2. It pulls up an error box saying I need a better Graphics Card then closes FSX.

Also, On the Saitek Website it says not to have the Reverse Buttons Checked, but it's the only way I can get them to work right now.

Load up a flight, when the plane is stationary on the runway depress the pedal, then release it. You will see the brake announcement in the corner of your screen. If all is well the indicator will appear and then disappear when the brake is released. If the brakes stay on, go back to Settings > Controls > Control Axes, and remove the ticks from the reverse box for the brake pedals.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

Dustin:

I would hazard a guess that you don't have to reverse them in FSX if you use their software as a middle man. if its working with them reversed then go for it

Richard Gerrish

Dustin Janise 1131793
Posted
Posted

Yeah. I'm probably just gonna leave well enough alone. lol

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Hi Guys

well what a tale of woe this is, butthe solution is simple and there would have been no need for all the reinstalls at all.

First of all reinstall sp2 and everything else that you might have taken off.

Plug your pedals back in, then go to the calibration software within FSX and when you get to the pedals section make sure you click on reverse and your problems will be over.

Wycliffe

How's it going, Wycliffe. I don't see this thread in that much of a woe. The user has a little problems with computer literacy, but within two messages he was able to do each step. Most likely the last step I gave him concerning resetting the illconfigured registry will resolve his issue with the native drivers. If that failed, the next step I would have given him would have been to calibrate FSX.

I don't blame you for skipping and going into the steps in your own order.

I believe the thread has been rather positive, and I'm sure if the user has to reset his OS again for any reason, including upgrading the hardware, this information about the OS will be valuable under his belt, and will save him a lot of time.

I'll actually be surprised once he gets into Flight Simulator if he doesn't upgrade his graphics card. That's kind of the order that I proceeded with my upgrades.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

sticky:

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
See thats the thing. My Computer can not handle SP2. It pulls up an error box saying I need a better Graphics Card then closes FSX.

Also, On the Saitek Website it says not to have the Reverse Buttons Checked, but it's the only way I can get them to work right now.

Hi, Dustin. Previously it appeared that you were saying you removed SP2 because it was causing problems with your Saitek product. It's understandable that you will not install it if your system can't handle it at this time.

In the future after becoming familiar with Flight Simulator and VATSIM, a video card upgrade might be something nice to consider.

Anyway, glad the problems with the Saitek controller is worked out.

Enjoy!

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

best advise i ever got.."if it aint broke don't fix it."

Richard Gerrish

Dustin Janise 1131793
Posted
Posted

best advise i ever got.."if it aint broke don't fix it."

But in this case, it is a tad bit broke but not enough for me to go through a ton of trouble to fix. lol

It works for what I need (Keeping proficient at flying while my flight lesson funds are low) at this point in time.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

I understand that reasoning have used it a time or 2 myself

Richard Gerrish

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Hi larry

when I said a tale of woe I was referrring to the OP reformatting and reinstalling all his flight sim setup when the solution was rather quite simple for his rudder pedals.

I have the saitek x52 and rudder pedals and when i first got it I couldn't figure outthe whole issue with teh pedals and the brakes sticking on. It was a friend of minethat gave me the solution. A solution that i keep in my memory bank for when i see this issue arise in posts such as these.

I find by reading what posters have written and spendinga moment to think about it, the solution often appears quite quickly.

I am constantly amazed at the number of people who do full reinstalls for simple problems when even just completing a system restore can often fix many issues.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Hi larry

when I said a tale of woe I was referrring to the OP reformatting and reinstalling all his flight sim setup when the solution was rather quite simple for his rudder pedals.

I have the saitek x52 and rudder pedals and when i first got it I couldn't figure outthe whole issue with teh pedals and the brakes sticking on. It was a friend of minethat gave me the solution. A solution that i keep in my memory bank for when i see this issue arise in posts such as these.

I find by reading what posters have written and spendinga moment to think about it, the solution often appears quite quickly.

I am constantly amazed at the number of people who do full reinstalls for simple problems when even just completing a system restore can often fix many issues.

Wycliffe

Thanks for the explanation. And you're right. People often use the last result as the first option. It it works, it'd probably be a temporary situation until the problem happens again from normal use. If they study it before starting over, they'd have a better chance of preventing a problem in the future.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky: