You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Dual Monitor question

Brad Littlejohn

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Quick question for those running dual monitors.

I have the chance to score another monitor for my box, but was wondering.. Does your video card pull any more power from your PSU to run the second monitor as compared to having a single monitor? I have enough power in my current PSU to handle everything I've thrown at it so far, but don't know if I need to plan on getting another PSU anytime in the distant future should I get another monitor.

Thoughts?

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Scott DeWoody
Posted
Posted

I didn't change my PSU when I added the second monitor and I haven't had any problems.

Scott DeWoody

CEO - American Virtual Airlines

joinava dot org

y572_1.jpg

Gary Morris 1090995
Posted
Posted

It shouldn't drain any extra power because as default the card has both powered up, so [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming your not installing a second card yes, your fine. I run two monitors, both on DVI, as well as a brain stumping amount or hardware, all off of a 650W PSU, so you shouldn't have any trouble. What PSU Wattage do you have?

Hope this helps,

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
It shouldn't drain any extra power because as default the card has both powered up, so [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming your not installing a second card yes, your fine. I run two monitors, both on DVI, as well as a brain stumping amount or hardware, all off of a 650W PSU, so you shouldn't have any trouble. What PSU Wattage do you have?

Hope this helps,

Currently, Antec Earthwatts 500.

According to the PSU Calculator, as well as Antec's calculator (they go to the same site), I'm pulling somewhere between 235w and 264w. So I know I have more than enough in the PSU to handle it. What I didn't know is if using 2 monitors on the same card (non-SLI) causes the video card to pull more power, compared to only having the one monitor connected to it.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Gary Morris 1090995
Posted
Posted

Ah I see now. No, your card shouldn't pull any more, and if it does, it will only be a minimal amount, so there is no need to worry!

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

I'm running two 21" monitors with an Asus N6600 and it doesn't take

more power.

I say go for it,having two screens really comes in handy whether you are flying

or controlling.

I had an unusual use for it a day ago,

the girlfriend was chatting on the second screen,while I watched a movie on the first.

good thing I wasn't flying.

cheers

Tom.

f1cert.gif