You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

I Don't Know How to Network

Nate Johns

Nate Johns
Posted
Posted

I don't know how to network my computers. I apologize if this is a poor place to post since this is more a hardware config thing and an utterly horrible user error piece. My ultimate goal with this is to run either SquawkBox or FSInn on my laptop with FSX on my main rig. Just today I purchased FSUIPC with a WideFS license... and mere minutes ago I discovered that I did not need WideFS at all to accomplish this. Yay for wasted money! Anyway...

Here's my basic setup:

DSL Gateway from Qwest (Motorola Netopia Router)

My Machine (Called BLACK_BOX)

My Laptop (Called Tiny)

Wife's Machine (Called WOW_BOX)

Brother Printer

BLACK_BOX runs Vista x64 Business, hard wire to router

WOW_BOX runs Vista x64 Home Premium, hard wire to router

Tiny runs WinXP, WiFi router connection

Brother Printer, WiFi router connection

All 3 computers have been configured with static local IP addresses (BLACK = .0.10, WOW = .0.11, Tiny = .0.12). The printer is dynamic and non-conflicting.

In Vista on BLACK, when I click on Start->Network, I see BLACK_BOX, BLACK_BOX: Nate: (presumably my music sharing folder), WOW_BOX, Netopia Modem, my WiFi network printer... but no Tiny. I have verified Tiny belongs to the same workgroup name as the other computers.

I kind of figure there's no way I'd be able to get BLACK_BOX or Tiny to talk to eachother in FS if I can't get Windows to see eachother. This stuff has always boggled me, and I would REALLY appreciate any help that someone could provide to help me set up this network.

I probably haven't provided all the necessary information, but I'll do my best to provide what other data is needed.

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

• 4 weeks later...
Patrik Yngver
Posted
Posted

Old topic but.... How do you want them to communicate? Run FS on both or just use SqwawkBox or FSInn on the laptop?

Patrik Yngvér

VATSIM Thailand vACC Deputy Director

C3 ENR Controller

ESNO, Sweden

spacer.png