Graphics Shimmering, Omg its killing me!

How we doin' everyone?

This has been killing me, when I say its killing me, I mean its really plucking my nerves. Im having this really annoying graphics shimmer issue in FS9 and its very distracting. My screenshots all of a sudden look horrible, the ground textures look as if they are being way too overworked on. If I lower the settings in FS they appear the opposite which is definitely what I do not want.

I am running a Radeon HD 4500 on a laptop that has 4GB of Ram and a Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Can anyone help me? When I used to run FS on my MAC, this problem was never present. But now since im on my 1 year old Dell Studio laptop the problem is everywhere. I cannot find the Catalytic Control Center download for my Windows 7 OS anywhere. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Greg, that looks pretty bad...did you try what Ross suggested, that is turn on AF...and also AA (anti-aliasing). And what display card are you using...ATI or nVidia...if its the latter, the nHancer tool can help.

EDIT: here's the link for FS9 tweaking...didn't find it earlier http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1080212396 ... look at item 16 and any other things you need

Good luck!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

That's bad. Any improvements with AA anf AF? Also, for me I got the best resolution when I ran it in fullscreen mode {alt + enter}. Of course that is a limitation as you cant use anyrhing else other than FS.

I tried the full screen mode and the graphics look a lot sharper, but its also hard to work that way when I have DVA ACARS, ActiveSky and such. I Think its time for a second monitor.

Hi Greg,

not to dissapoint you but with FS9 full screen mode, u cant use any other app even in a second monitor. Clicking on another app will automatically minimize FS9. I fly windowed mode unless in t/o or ldg or if I want screenshots. That's my experience, ur mileage may vary.

Hopefully somebody wih ATI cards can give u some better information.

I use nVidia . The difference for me is not just quality, but AA and AF work only in Full screen, no matter how much I messed with nVidia settings and nHancer. Now in FSX they don't matter as I control everything from FSX coz if I set AA and AF from nVidia settings (not nHancer) it totally blurs out all textures...but I digress.

BTW, I had tested an ATI card some time back, RADEON HD 4870 I think, some time back and I have had the same effect with FS9.

Cheers

The difference for me is not just quality, but AA and AF work only in Full screen, no matter how much I messed with nVidia settings and nHancer.

Ahh, makes sense. I remember having similar issues when I first set up FS9 ... I could only get some settings to "stick" in full screen mode. Those same settings would work in windowed mode, but they would become unset when I resized the window at all. I eventually got everything to work consistently in windowed mode after playing around in the driver settings. (Wasn't using nHancer.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC