You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Good external hard drives

Nicholas Carpenter 1124393

Posted
Posted

I'm looking for a good external hard drive that can run fsx and fs9 with at least 100 GB. It has to be able to run fs well (duh, but I've seen problems where people couldn't run fs on their external drives) with a good fps and be able to use the downloads I get from Delta VA. I need it for $100 or less. Name brands are preferable. If you can find one you will be my best friend.... Ok not really but I will be extremely appreciative.

Posted
Posted

Okay, I have found some, but they all are USB 2.0 and max out at 480 mbps. I fear this will run FSX like a slide show when it comes to fps. Is this true?

Posted
Posted

Correction, that is 480 Mbps.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

The only two ways that external HDDs can be accessed are USB 2.0 and LAN, the faster of which is usually USB which u r saying is not fast enuf. Unless you want to consider Fiber optics, which basically will make the drive local, I really can't think of other solutions.

Moreover, I don't think you should run FS from an external HDD, have all ur storage etc on it, but always run FS locally is what I would recommend.

But I will keep an eye on this thread to see when other opinions come in!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Michael Ellen 1095800
Posted
Posted

Why don't you run FS on your local drive, and move everything else over to the external drive. I'm sure you've thought of this already, so sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I mean if external drives ruin fps (not saying they do, because I wouldn't know), then I'm sure you don't need your Word docomeents to open as quick as you need your FS to run...?

..CPL/Instructor Rating/NVFR/Aerobatics/Tailwheel/C152/C172/DHC1/M20J..

Posted
Posted

Michael, that is actually a very good suggestion, except that I don't have much. My computer is really old, and the hard drive is only 40 gb. There wouldn't be enough to move over to even help. However, because of this, I have decided that the best option is probably to look at replacing the internal hard drive. This is where I need your help. I am looking for something reliable, with anywhere from 250-500gb. Preferably the one's that can run about 3 Gb/s and still for around $100 or less. Here is one that I am looking at http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=301 will this last, work well, and is it a good buy? Thanks.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

I've never had a problem with a Western Digital in over 15 years of using them.. well except one but that was entirely my foot's fault. I can say the same for Seagate brand as well. As far as Maxtor/Fujistsu and others no... I would never buy another one.

As far as USB goes... don't believe the numbers. Sure it says its 480mbits but experience shows that it's actually way slower than even firewire at 400mbits. This is because of the constant switching from one device to another so USB never can actually sustain 480mbits. Your best bet is either external sata, or going internal.