You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Is BETA-testing out of hand??

Hans Utne 813128

Hans Utne 813128
Posted
Posted

Gergely,

Seem to see more and more people using a beta-version of ES. Is the beta-version now being distributed way outside your beta-team?

It was bad enough when more of your beta-testers expressed their opinion using the beta-version as reference, versus the official version we refer to when asking questions

For the future, I hope you are much more restrictive in your selection of beta-testers, and that they are mature enough and stick to the guidelines for testing, instead of distributing both information and software copies to people outside your team.

Hans Utne

VATSIM Pilot & SC

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Yeah we are aware of that, after the release (around Christmas) there will be some cleaning, in the forum. For now the new beta is protected to the outside users, but we can't stop the upload to other servers from beta testers. I think Stephan pointed some servers where he saw the beta, ready to be download.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

probably making beta testers sign something saying they cant release anything? A.K.A NDA? (if they havent already) i know many people dont like those, but they serve a purpose, specially for something unreleased.

granted leaks may still occur, happens everywhere, but the lids a bit more shut.

also encoding something into each testers version with a unique ID, that would very quickly tell you who it is thats upload it or whos version it is thats being spread around

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

When I was VP Development, the servers had a facility for beta clients. They could be configured to only allow certain CIDs to use certain version numbers. Perhaps Gergely could request that this be set up for ES, if the functionality is still available.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Eric Bocaneanu 906549
Posted
Posted

Quick hint Hans.

This message is better suited as a private message directly to Gergely and not on a public forum.

Eric Bocaneanu

ROvACC Director

Hans Utne 813128
Posted
Posted

Eric,

Not entirely true, as my message is also aimed at those readers of this forum who is breaking the "beta protocole"

Hans Utne

VATSIM Pilot & SC

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

It seems that I simply underestimate the problem of letting the beta out of the testers. As I am planning only one final beta (release candidate) I do not want to invert too much on the prevention now. But surely it will be different in the future. I can use the method Ross suggested, or just simply allow only certain CIDs in the beta software itself to be used when connecting.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Hans Utne 813128
Posted
Posted

Gergely,

With your response, I rest my case

Wishing you a Merry Christmas, and looking forward to the official release!

Hans Utne

VATSIM Pilot & SC

• 2 weeks later...
Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

I am not a beta tester or using an unauthorized copy, but very pleased to see that release is imminent.

regards,

Mark.

847924.png

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted
I am not a beta tester or using an unauthorized copy, but very pleased to see that release is imminent.

regards,

Mark.

Your wish is an order for us

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Hans Utne 813128
Posted
Posted

Gergely, just discovered the new version on your web. Congratulations !!

Best regards,

Hans Utne

VATSIM Pilot & SC