You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New FSX Comp.

Gene Cao 1100087

Gene Cao 1100087
Posted
Posted

I really need a new computer for FSX. I am running FSX on Vista right now and my computer(a slim tower) can't handle it. I'd be using FSINN for VATSIM. I was looking through the Dell XPS9000 and the Alienware Aurora, and they sounds pretty good. Does anyone know if these computers would work great with FSX or if they have another suggestion. I do not have much time to build my own computer either. Budget is around $1500.

gcsig.jpg

1100087.jpg

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

brand is nothing, its whats in it that counts

Gene Cao 1100087
Posted
Posted

yeah. Just have great relationship with Dell. One of my friends works there and gets me huge discounts. XD

gcsig.jpg

1100087.jpg

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

Try cyberpower PC. They have good machines For 1500 you should be able to run FSX with near everything maxed.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

• 2 weeks later...
Shaun Paul Dobbs 1019770
Posted
Posted

build it your self, i can help you build a really good system for that shoot me a pm.

AAY1010Sig-1.jpg

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
I really need a new computer for FSX. I am running FSX on Vista right now and my computer(a slim tower) can't handle it. I'd be using FSINN for VATSIM. I was looking through the Dell XPS9000 and the Alienware Aurora, and they sounds pretty good. Does anyone know if these computers would work great with FSX or if they have another suggestion. I do not have much time to build my own computer either. Budget is around $1500.

Why don't you ask Ross to give you an estimated cost of the components:

[quote name=In message viewtopic.php?p=327011#p327011 Ross Carlson]So here's my current list:

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366

EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 mobo

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

EVGA 02G-P3-1185-AR GeForce GTX 285 2GB

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

A lot of our hardware gurus gave input. If it fits your budget it might be a good buy.

I might be putting together another Main computer. I'd be interested in the cost of the components also.

By the way, I'd opt for the Professional version over the Home.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Gene Cao 1100087
Posted
Posted

Yeah. True. But with all the issues I am having in FSX, I am considering just going back to FS9.

gcsig.jpg

1100087.jpg

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

Give FSX a shot on Win7 and see how it goes. I had better performance on the release client with FSX then i ever got using vista

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Yeah. True. But with all the issues I am having in FSX, I am considering just going back to FS9.

I never had a problem with FSX and any OS. I would be glad to help you with FSX. If you're having a problem with it I'd think you're doing something wrong.

Actually I did have a problem for a while. But it was a problematic Video card which was mail functioning. NVidia replaced the card and everything worked perfect. That was back when FSX first came out and I was working with a computer that was two years old at the time. By today's standard the computer would be nearly ten years old. The only problem I've ever had was a faulty video card.

It surprises me often to here the comments about a person needing a super computer for FSX. Maybe the computer that I have today which is kind of substandard for today's computers would have been considered a super computer 6 years ago.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll do well with FS9, but I think you seriously miss out.

Again, if you describe to me the problems you're having with FSX, I can give you the solution. I never have bothered with all the standard tweaks that circles all the sites. The only thing I do is move the sliders... and of course ensure that I have a functional install. Service Pack 2 has the optimum performance.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Gene Cao 1100087
Posted
Posted

Ok. Giving FSX another go. Followed ur sticky to the letter 3 times!!! Thanks for that btw Larry, very helpful. Clean reinstall each time. Im not sure y but each time there was a different error. First time, was when I thought it was overheat. Then I looked at error log and it was the uiautomation.dll prob. Second time, FSINN did not show up under the addons tab. tried squawkbox and hated it(sorry sqwkbx users). 3rd time, FSINN worked, but kept getting a "fatal error" every 5-10 mins when i switch views. It attempts to "restart itself". Thats where I'm stuck at. I look at PRoblems and Reports Center Error Report, and this is what i get:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61355.0

Application Timestamp: 4643ee0a

Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: 04246c81

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: fd00

Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Additional Information 3: fd00

Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

With so many times done, I am getting frustrated with FSX. But, Larry, if you can help me find a solution to this, i would definately stick with fsx.

PS: This should probably be in a different thread eh? can some moderator move it to the correct one? or should i repost?

gcsig.jpg

1100087.jpg

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Ok. Giving FSX another go. Followed ur sticky to the letter 3 times!!! Thanks for that btw Larry, very helpful. Clean reinstall each time. Im not sure y but each time there was a different error. First time, was when I thought it was overheat. Then I looked at error log and it was the uiautomation.dll prob. Second time, FSINN did not show up under the addons tab. tried squawkbox and hated it(sorry sqwkbx users). 3rd time, FSINN worked, but kept getting a "fatal error" every 5-10 mins when i switch views. It attempts to "restart itself". Thats where I'm stuck at. I look at PRoblems and Reports Center Error Report, and this is what i get:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61355.0

Application Timestamp: 4643ee0a

Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: 04246c81

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: fd00

Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Additional Information 3: fd00

Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

With so many times done, I am getting frustrated with FSX. But, Larry, if you can help me find a solution to this, i would definately stick with fsx.

PS: This should probably be in a different thread eh? can some moderator move it to the correct one? or should i repost?

Bob, I would have continued this thread, but a new thread in the FSInn would be better.

Will you create a new thread in the FSInn forum with an appropriate title and probably, just copy and paste this information into the new thread and I'll reply to it there.

I look forward to any hardware prices that gets might get generated from this current topic.

I'll most likely do some research and put some prices to the components I listed above, if you can find the components post the prices you find and we probably can get you a very powerful computer for less than the budget you have allocated. At a glance it appears that it wouldn't cost more.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Hi, Bob.

I guess the system is a little above your $1500.00 budget. I’m going to consider building it, but not all at once.

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 [$288.99 - Newegg.com]

EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 mobo [264.49 - amazon.com]

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 [224.99 - Newegg.com]

EVGA 02G-P3-1185-AR GeForce GTX 285 2GB [$439.72 - Provatage.com]

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA [199.99 - Newegg.com]

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders [$104.99 - Newegg.com]

The system is $1523.17 (before applicable shipping and taxes).

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky: