You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Around the World Flight

Brian Burns 1130305

Brian Burns 1130305
Posted
Posted

I am beginning my around the world tour on VATSIM. This is going to be a long tour with many short legs as I am flying a Cessna Grand Caravan and I often have only 1-3 hours at a time to devote to flight sim.

Estimated departure time of first flight is 0300 Zulu.

Overall route is south from Michigan through the Caribbean, south along the east coast of South America, Back up the west coast of South America and the west cost of USA through the Aleutian Island chain over to Russa and then we'll see. I realize this is a rather large project and will most likely take years, LOL.

First flight is from my home town of KLAN (Lansing, MI) southbound to KAVL (Asheville, NC). Estimated time en route is 3 hours. I'll figure out the routing this evening. I will not be using any GPS/RNAV equipment, only traditional VOR, NDB, DME equipment.

Please join me if you can or for any portion of the flight. Cruise speed is about 160 knots in the 208. I am very new to VATSIM so newbies are encouraged to fly with me!!!

Call sign is N927B

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

You should post a date on items like this, also will you be able to cross the ocean in a cessna? I am also wondering this as I currently just fly GA A/C?!

In My (virtual) Hangar:

C172 :: C-FXMY

M20M :: C-GRYR

Baron 58 :: C-TVUY

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Look in this post, you will have your way across the Atlantic too and good luck for the trip and weather.

BTW, u said 1-3 hr flights, what time do u usually fly (or plan to), I might join u in a few if I see you online!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Brian Burns 1130305
Posted
Posted

There are not going to be any long-haul ocean crossings. If you follow the Aleutian Island chain in Alaska to the end, I think it's about 700ish miles across open ocean to the nearest airport in Russia. That will be the longest open ocean crossing. Coming back to North America will go through Iceland, Greenland, Canada, so there won't be any huge distances across the ocean. I've done all of those in a 172 so a 208 shouldn't be any problem. Obviously they are more than 1-3 hour flights, but the majority will be shorter flights.

I usually fly after 8:00 pm Eastern Time or occasionally during the day if I will be doing paperwork at my desk all day. I'll try to give more warning when I will be flying. I realize this first flight is short notice. I'm usually flexible with my schedule so if anyone only has a certain time they can fly and wants to join, feel free to let me know.

Kevin Copeland 1103506
Posted
Posted

that's pretty cool I'd fly some legs with you

you should post times when and where your going to be online and give everyone a reasonable time frame to be on.

That way I won't have to chase you down in my F/A 18

I want to try flying overseas but as a newbie I haven't tried making a fool of myself - yet.

Kevin Copeland

Air Traffic Director

VATUSA Southern Region

VATSIM Supervisor

1103506.png

1103506.png

Brian Burns 1130305
Posted
Posted

Ok, I have flown the first few legs. My schedule has been erratic lately and they were last minute decisions to fly. Here is the summary so far:

Leg 1: Originally scheduled to be KLAN - KAVL, however, due to pilot fatigue was diverted to KCMH (Columbus OH). KCMH is about half way and it staffed with ATC quite often, however, not the night I landed there.

ATC Coverage --> 0%

VATSIM pilots flying with me --> 0

Leg 2: Continuing from KCMH down to KAVL (Asheville, NC). Uneventful flight, rain in Asheville.

ATC Coverage --> 0%

VATSIM pilots --> 0

Leg 3: KAVL - KJZI (Charleston Exec). This was a fun flight, the Charleston Exec airport was near minimums due to overcast sky and rain.

ATC Coverage --> 0%

VATSIM pilots --> 0

Leg 4: KJZI - KPBI (West Palm Beach, FL). Another fun flight with the destination airport at minimums. Wind was not a factor but visibility was non-existent.

ATC Coverage --> 0%

VATSIM pilots --> 0

Leg 5: KPBI - MYNN (N[Mod - Happy Thoughts]aua, Bahamas). This leg was flown today. Shortly after takeoff I noticed that MYNN Tower was on-line. I was looking forward to the first ATC coverage of the entire trip. However, MYNN Tower went off-line prior to my arrival.

ATC Coverage --> 0%

VATSIM pilots --> 0

The Caravan is currently at MYNN.

Here is the upcoming tentative schedule:

December 22 - 00:00 zulu (7:00pm eastern/Michigan time) MYNN - MUCU

- I have been unable to find instrument charts for MUCU so if anyone knows where I can get them, I would appreciate it! If not, we'll hope for good weather and a visual approach, if the weather is bad, we'll have to make do with the VOR at the airport and the ILS approach, however, terrain will become a problem if visibility is bad and there is no ATC coverage. Should be a fun flight. Estimated flight time is 2:06.

December 23 - 00:00 zulu MUCU - MTCH

- Again, I could not find any charts for this airport, but there is an ILS approach. Terrain is not going to be a problem on the ILS approach, but will be a factor if you miss the approach. Estimated flight time is 1:18.

That's all I have planned right now. Hope to see you!! These are just tentative times so if you want to fly along but need a slightly different time, let me know, I'm usually flexible with my schedule.

Thanks!

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Ryan, crossing the ocean wont be a problem. All he has to do is fly over the bearing straight from Alaska to Russia.

New York ARTCC

Brian Burns 1130305
Posted
Posted

I've slowly made my way down to TJSJ. No ATC so far LOL!

The next flight will be TJSJ to TNCM. I am hoping to get some ATC and fellow vatsimmers on this leg as it is a popular one.

Flight time is set for Dec 28, 2009 00:00 zulu. Hope to see you there!

Brian Burns 1130305
Posted
Posted

Dec 28 in the USA

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted
Dec 28 in the USA
You said zulu time, hence the comment from Dominic. We do have only one zulu time and Dec 28, 2009 00:00z was indeed yesterday evening .

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1