You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What do I need?

Colin Levy 976130

Colin Levy 976130
Posted
Posted

I am not a very big computer person, although I am very big when it comes to gaming. I play FS2004, FSX, Counterstrike, L4D2, Battlefield2, COD4 (Basically the high graphics games). Like I said I don't know a lot about computers, and have added only a few things onto my current HP. Here is my specs:

-Windows 7 installed

-ASUSTek Buckeye 1.05 Intel Mainboard

-Intel Core 2 CPU E6300 ([email protected])

-1 GB DDR2 RAM

-750W PSU

-NVIDIA Geforce 8800GTS 512mb

-2 120mm fans

-1 80mm fan

Anyways, I plan on buying another 2 GB of RAM after Christmas and a new video card. Is my current Mobo/CPU setup okay or is it better to get a new one? I don't know if what I have is fine or not... =[

976130.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

main question, what kinda frame rates do you see in FS? and are you happy with those frame rates?

thatd be the main question i'd ask anyone wanting to upgrade. the frames i get may not be the type of frame rates you prefer/would like.

if your happy with the current setup, save your money, if it aint broke, spend it on something else

Colin Levy 976130
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't mind getting a few more frames in some of my games, but it seems that some of my games take forever and a day to eitherr load up or shut down, and others I talk to say that it closes down right away. Is this due to my only 1GB of RAM now?

976130.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

i would start by upgrading your ram to at least 2Gb I would personally get at least 4Gb. and see how things go from there

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

+1 on Richard's suggestion. I use the nVidia 512 and upgrading to Win7 64 + doubling the RAM certainly helped. If it's 64bit, you can have more RAM than 4GB if you can flt it in ur Mobo (and ur budget)

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Shaun Paul Dobbs 1019770
Posted
Posted

your cpu speed is low, which will lag with any higher gpu, its a stretch with the current speed. Not much you can do except upgrade ram

AAY1010Sig-1.jpg