You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Runways of PANC

Aharon Dayan

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Shalom and greetings all!!!

Because I enjoy flying around Alaska admiring beauty of snowy landscape, I often use PANC for landings from Alaskan or Canadian airports of departures or take offs to Alaskan or Canadian destinations.

Last night, the winds at PANC were 320 degrees so I checked the airport maps and noticed that PANC had runway 32. So I programmed GPS and FSX default maps to head to runway 32 only to be surprised that runway 32 did not exist in GPS but existed in FSX maps. GPS showed runways 06R/06R and 14!!!!

Very helpful and very kind PANC controller informed me that runways 06L/R had been renamed 07R/07L and runway 32 did exist (why it was on my default FSX map but not on my GPS was beyond my comprehension). Fortunately for me, he or she was kind enough to honor my request for landing on runway 07L.

Is there any freeware PANC airport scenery that corrects the wrong runway information so that I can use before the Poker Alaskan event hosted by PANC?

Thanks,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

If you saw runway 14, then you must have 32, as its just the reciprocal (140 + 180 = 320).

However, I couldn't find any scenery for PANC. The best I could do was an AFCAD here.

Have fun in the event!

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Alexander Tucker 1106997
Posted
Posted

I consider FRF Studios version the best, nothing needed. http://flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=124869 Type in PANC for other ones at flightsim.

Flying is simple, as long as you know how to do it. bug.gif?dateline=1293816988 <-- The original bug is back. (The best part is that it doesn't stop.)

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

did you check the charts? i see no approach charts for 32, thats normally a good indicator that the runway is not normally used for arrivals. so even if the winds were showing 320, you'd more then likely get a crosswind landing.

im not a controller at ZAK so i cant tell ya for sure, but judging from what the charts show, that would be my best guess.

as for not having the runway, if you have 14 you definitely have 32 if its not in the GPS, that means no approach procedure for it. thats also another clue telling you they wouldnt use it for arrivals

Alexander Tucker 1106997
Posted
Posted

Okay, here's a list of approach's thanks to airnav, hope this settles everything.

ILS OR LOC/DME RWY 07L

ILS OR LOC/DME RWY 07R

ILS RWY 14

ILS RWY 07R(CAT II)

ILS RWY 07R(CAT III)

RNAV (GPS) RWY 07L

RNAV (GPS) RWY 07R

RNAV (GPS) RWY 14

VOR RWY 07R

HIGHWAY VISUAL RWY 25R

SEWARD VISUAL RWY 25L

Flying is simple, as long as you know how to do it. bug.gif?dateline=1293816988 <-- The original bug is back. (The best part is that it doesn't stop.)

Chris McGee
Posted
Posted

Runway 32 at Anchorage is the primary departure runway. With no instrument approaches we only use it for arrivals weather permitting. As stated in the prior post if you have runway 14 then you must have runway 32. As for an update this is not required, however if you would like to update the runway numbers your more then welcome! If you have any more questions feel free to join our forums at vzanartcc.net, we look forward to seeing you at the Poker Run!

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Thanks all for kind answers Looks like my FSX default maps and GPS are correct except for update to change from rwy 6R/L to 7R/L.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Stefan Hueneburg 1062056
Posted
Posted

In these areas you have to expect many changed runway designators due to the high rate of change of the magnetic variation.

Join us in #vatsim @ irc.quakenet.org - the IRC chat for every VATsimmer.

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
If you have any more questions feel free to join our forums at vzanartcc.net, we look forward to seeing you at the Poker Run!

This is exactly what I did based on your advice and when I registered with your forums for the sole purpose of posting a kind thank you statement on the forums to thank all FAI AND PANC controllers for coordinating my flights past few days while my plane had malfunction speedometer due to sub zero temperature winter conditions (yes I put on pitot tube), this is the reply that I got:

"Regrettably, your application to join Anmchorage ARTCC Forums have been rejected.

Regards,

The Anchorage ARTCC Forums Team"

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Chris McGee
Posted
Posted

When you sign up for the forums you need to use your first and last name fallowed by your VATSIM ID as outlined in the sign up process. (Example: Chris McGee 875722)

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
When you sign up for the forums you need to use your first and last name fallowed by your VATSIM ID as outlined in the sign up process. (Example: Chris McGee 875722)

That is strange. I never saw in registration application that VATSIM ID is required. I must have missed it or it was not there.

Thanks. I am going to register again so that I can post thank you note for all PANC and FIA controllers.

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png