You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Convention Update

Jeff Turner

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted

Just a quick update folks, We are in nego's with the Hilton at KORD and hope to have a signed contract with in the next few weeks. I'll provide a tentative schedule after that is complete and ask for input from all of you at that time of what you would like to see at this convention.

Then we'll be able to start registrations, etc.

As always, you can contact me for questions at jeff (at) vatusaconvention.com

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

http://www.skyblueradio.com

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

Edward McCoy 904185
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update JT, Im gettin excited! Setting aside that money.

EJ

Edward J. McCoy

Albuquerque ARTCC DATM

Peter Semadeni
Posted
Posted

Is there any chance to get tours of the TRACON or is security still too high? I know I've personally visited ZKC ARTCC but KC TRACON is proving a bit harder to get a tour of. Something you might want to put in the back of your mind for a convention event.

1040.png

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted
Is there any chance to get tours of the TRACON or is security still too high? I know I've personally visited ZKC ARTCC but KC TRACON is proving a bit harder to get a tour of. Something you might want to put in the back of your mind for a convention event.

Hi Peter,

That idea is in the works.

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Hi Peter,

That idea is in the works.

While you're at it, what's the distance between the convention and Aurora? you could also plan a visit to the Center too.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
While you're at it, what's the distance between the convention and Aurora? you could also plan a visit to the Center too. Wink

BL.

WAYNE'S WORLD, WAYNE'S WORLD....THRRRRDDDDAAAAAA THRRUUUUUUUUUDAAAAAAAA!!!

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Andrew Steinberg 939662
Posted
Posted

Excellent. I want to book everything very soon!

Andrew Steinberg

C-1, VATUSA

userbar230662ff.gif

Mark Zameda 810257
Posted
Posted

Aviation-related activities are in the works. Can't say much else, because, well, I don't know who will let us in and who won't. Transportation is a big issue as well.

Mark Z.

Mark Zameda

VATUSA6

Nicholas Fredrich 827138
Posted
Posted

WOO HOO!

Nick

Mark McCauley 832889
Posted
Posted

Does the CTA or METRA not go down to Aurora? I will be there taking off friday and taking the "L" to O'Hare.

Cheers!

Mark McCauley

Chicago, IL (KORD)

http://upsvac.com

William Alderson 846320
Posted
Posted

Mark,

Nope. Ya gotta take I-88 out to Aurora and I believe the TRACON facility is now in Elgin and that's up I-194.

Bill Alderson

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Mark,

Nope. Ya gotta take I-88 out to Aurora and I believe the TRACON facility is now in Elgin and that's up I-194.

If you guys are serious about doing this, you may want to hit up Robert Dofflemeyer. I believe he still works at the TRACON, and I've seen him on a couple of times in the past few weeks. He may be able to arrange something, seeing that you're a good 6 months out..

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Nicholas Fredrich 827138
Posted
Posted

Yes the TRACON is now located in Elgin.

Nick

Mark McCauley 832889
Posted
Posted

Oh well it was worth a shot anyways. It would be awsome to get a tour, I would be willing to drive out there and take some folks along except for Mark Brummett.

William what part of Chicago you from?

Cheers!

Mark McCauley

Chicago, IL (KORD)

Terry Kocher 919807
Posted
Posted

Dangit, still not old enough to drive..well sounds like its going to be a blast, but I'll have to probably skip out this year...hopefully the next year or the year afterwards I'll be poking my face into it.

pilot.gif

3712.png

Mark Polston 810032
Posted
Posted

Jeff,

I think everyone would love to see what the pics portrayed at the AVSIM convention, a huge LAN party of controllers!

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to register.

Mark Polston

vZTL ARTCC | VATSIM Supervisor

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted
Jeff,

I think everyone would love to see what the pics portrayed at the AVSIM convention, a huge LAN party of controllers!

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to register.

Hi Mark,

That's the idea... Well, part of it... Until I get an official word from the hotel and the team works on a few logistical things I wouldn't want to say anything for sure. BUT, I hope.... Hope.... To have the entire US staffed during the convention, at least part of the time... We'll see... I hope so...

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

William Alderson 846320
Posted
Posted

Don't worry, when the time comes, we'll get you guys to the repective facilities and back, safe and unharmed, somehow.

Mark.....I live in River Grove....around Grand Ave and comeberland.

Bill Alderson

Mark Zameda 810257
Posted
Posted

William,

Email me as soon as you get a chance.

Mark Z

Mark Zameda

VATUSA6

Mark McCauley 832889
Posted
Posted

William,

Dont live too far from you about 45mins in Zion...Been in River Grove a few times! See you in March!

Cheers!

Mark McCauley

Chicago, IL (KORD)

Michael Roy
Posted
Posted
Does the CTA or METRA not go down to Aurora? I will be there taking off friday and taking the "L" to O'Hare.

Actually Metra does go both to Elgin and Aurora. Getting to a Metra station from O'Hare would be the problem (although I'm sure it's possible). One way to do it (although it's taking the LONG way around) is to take the L downtown then take Metra out to Elgin or Aurora. I'll check into it more and let you know. As an extensive public trans user in both the city and burbs - if it can be done, I'll figure it out.

mdw_logo.jpg

Mark Zameda 810257
Posted
Posted

The Metra does go to Aurora, but then you have to pick up a bus line that runs every 30 minutes daily. It's in a pretty shady part of town, definitely not a very viable option.

Once I get a final word from some of these ATM's (Air Traffic Managers) at the faciliities, I will be able to give an update on here.

Mark Zameda

vZAU Chief

Mark Zameda

VATUSA6

Mark McCauley 832889
Posted
Posted

The Train I take every day goes to Ohare, than from there I belive you get on a free shuttle service to the terminal.

Cheers!

Mark McCauley

Chicago, IL (KORD)

Peter Semadeni
Posted
Posted

You guys talkin about River Grove. Are you meaning Fox River Grove? cause I actually grew up there long long ago. Would be nice to see the old place again since all my family is now closer to downtown and down south in romeoville.

1040.png

William Alderson 846320
Posted
Posted

Peter,

No, River Grove is nowhere near Fox River Grove. A lot of people make that mistake. River Grove is right next to Elmwood Park and pretty close to O'Hare.

I used to go up to Fox River Grove as a kid though. My dad used to belong to a boat club that was based on the Fox river.

Bill Alderson