You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

I need training

Ethan Begrowicz 1163133

Steve Kirks 1252923
Posted
Posted
Respectfully, the Code of Conduct is not much more than being a good community citizen and minding your manners, and a few other common sense things like logging off when you're done, running your transponder when flying, not spawning where someone could be about to land, etc....

Don, to Mike Lynch's credit, as a new user it does seem pretty serious and daunting. I remember last year when I signed up that my perception of VATSIM (without knowing anyone--just the website) was that it was a "hard core" group and making a mistake on the radio on VATSIM would get me in trouble or kicked off.

ARTCCs could set up a Teamspeak or similar for pilots that want to "tour the tower cab" and then maybe try out some radio calls. Once I got to know my controllers, even before I started controller training, it made my pilot times less stressful and more fun.

That said--Mike, didn't you join to have "real" ATC for your simulated flying. If you dread the radio, then why did you join? Serious question, not trolling.

Steve Kirks

ZME S2 Usually MEM_TWR

ZLA I-3 rated pilot

Usually on as:

FDX4345 in a PMDG 777

N533ET in a Pilatus PC-12

N323VB in a Lancair Legacy

1252923.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael Lynch 903474

• Don Desfosse

• Robert Shearman Jr

• Marcel Haffner

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael Lynch 903474

Michael Lynch 903474 4 posts

• Don Desfosse

Don Desfosse 3 posts

• Robert Shearman Jr

Robert Shearman Jr 2 posts

• Marcel Haffner

Marcel Haffner 2 posts

Popular Days

• Mar 18 2014

7 posts

• Feb 21 2011

4 posts

• Nov 9 2018

3 posts

• Sep 14 2020

3 posts

Popular Posts

Evan Reiter

If you're looking for a self-study program, you could consider this one: www.bvartcc.com/wings. It has an "instructor" component to it in that controllers in the Boston area will provide feedback as y

Brendan Lynch 1167842

The VATEUD and VATCAN ATOs sure would. And from what I've heard the ZLA Pilot Cert Program is great too.

Bradley Grafelman

It's a two-way street. Controllers (typically) spend time learning how to control before actually attempting to do so. Why shouldn't they expect pilots to do at least a little of the same?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Sure, Steve, I do recognize that. I was just suggesting a happy medium since he is a returning member.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Daniel Katz
Posted
Posted
Don, to Mike Lynch's credit, as a new user it does seem pretty serious and daunting. I remember last year when I signed up that my perception of VATSIM (without knowing anyone--just the website) was that it was a "hard core" group. Aand making a mistake on the radio on VATSIM would get me in trouble or kicked off.

ARTCCs could set up a Teamspeak or similar for pilots that want to "tour the tower cab" and then maybe try out some radio calls. Once I got to know my controllers, even before I started controller training, it made my pilot times less stressful and more fun.

This is why I'm such a big fan of new pilots spending some time listening to ATC on the network before jumping in and flying. An hour or two invested at the outset reduces the stress and makes a huge difference. After listening for a while, you realize it's not all that bad and you can't wait to jump in and give it a go.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

+1 for connecting at the gate and just listening to ATC and pilots interact for a bit. If I'm not too busy, I'll even entertain questions over private message about why/how things were done/said the way they were.

I'll also throw out a shameless plug for ZLA's VFR/IFR ratings (link in sig) since they try to address this problem by offering a full ATC Transcript with annotations to show a new virtual pilot what they could expect to hear.

Steve Kirks 1252923
Posted
Posted
I'll also throw out a shameless plug for ZLA's VFR/IFR ratings (link in sig) since they try to address this problem by offering a full ATC Transcript with annotations to show a new virtual pilot what they could expect to hear.

I did these as a new pilot and they were extremely valuable. +3

Steve Kirks

ZME S2 Usually MEM_TWR

ZLA I-3 rated pilot

Usually on as:

FDX4345 in a PMDG 777

N533ET in a Pilatus PC-12

N323VB in a Lancair Legacy

1252923.png

Michael Lynch 903474
Posted
Posted

That said--Mike, didn't you join to have "real" ATC for your simulated flying. If you dread the radio, then why did you join? Serious question, not trolling.

Your right. catch 22 !!! I guess the daunting is also what makes it appealing. I Would't have it any other way Steve

• 5 months later...
Johan Pedersen 1287620
Posted
Posted

Teach me somethin' I don't know 'bout airplanes, friends.

• 6 months later...
Jiahao Shen 1311043
Posted
Posted

Try start with C172, then LRJ45 and finally whatever u want

vatprclogo_zps94be9e3c.png

Jiahao Shen

VATPRC S2 Controller

Tim Wong
Posted
Posted

Wow, you dig out a 4 years old thread where the last posting was made 6 months ago.

I am sure that Johan have learnt how to fly so far.

Do you want your Virtual Airline to become an official partner on VATSIM or to participate in the VAA Program?
Visit https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/virtual-airlines

Tim Wong
Director of Virtual Airline Relations
VATSIM.net Virtual Airlines and Special Operations Administration
9KMxVhG.png

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
Wow, you dig out a 4 years old thread where the last posting was made 6 months ago. :D

I am sure that Johan have learnt how to fly so far.

+1

Johan is probably flying some heavy metal now :D

• 3 months later...
ajay khan 1329879
Posted
Posted

hi Keith Smith 879675, nice to meet you , i have read your post that is amazing and written in a good manner and it is also informative for me and i am looking for this ind of information . so thanks for sharing your good advice about training. anybody can get help from your wise description

• 1 month later...
Akshat  Jain 1255137
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

If you are new to VATSIM and for Virtual Aviation for that matter, let me recommend to you VATSTAR, an authorized training organization, that helps you get your P1, P2 ratings and help you get into the virtual skies. We train with the Baron 58, along with training you in online VATSIM procedures, you get to know the plane as well.

Go over to www.vatstar.com

Akshat Jain

• 3 months later...
Ville Ronkko 1335394
Posted
Posted

If someone has the patience to fly with a newbie, I would be intrested in that.

• 1 year later...
Jerry Olson 1398009
Posted
Posted

I would like some training. I can get a 737 in the air and fly IFR to KLAX, KSAN, KLAS and land IFR. My goal is to get the rating to fly for a virtual airline.

So how do I get an instructor. I was on a site that had a list of instructors. It required a login but didn't have a registration or signup.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
So how do I get an instructor. I was on a site that had a list of instructors. It required a login but didn't have a registration or signup.

It depends. Which site were you on?

Your best bet is to contact someone from that site, whichever one it was!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 1 month later...
Sergen Celik 1403513
Posted
Posted

Hello my name is Sergen Celik

Little bit of a back story i love gaming and i play simulators a lot but i am kinda new to FSX and i would like it if somebody can train/help me understanding the basics so i dont mess it up .

Sergen

Ty for reading/Taking your time

• 1 year later...
KAUSTUBH VARTAK 1439374
Posted
Posted
I need a lot of training as I am still new to vatsim . I want b738 fmc training

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Suggest you look into a VATSIM Authorized Training Organization https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/training

What kind of FMC? Have you read the manual?

Have you searched on Google? There are literally hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of pages out there that may help you.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted
I need a lot of training as I am still new to vatsim . I want b738 fmc training

Have a look on Youtube, there are countless tutorial videos on there that can help you with learning the 737 fmc. Here is a link to one, there are many on Youtube -

• 1 year later...
Chris Mayne
Posted
Posted
On 6/7/2011 at 2:35 AM, Keith Smith 879675 said:

Howdy. If you're new to the sim, and to flying in general, there is a lot you're going to want to learn prior to conducting flights online (just my opinion). The ZLA program that people are mentioning is designed to take someone who is a reasonable simulator pilot, and help them become a solid online pilot. The pre-requisite, however, is knowledge of how to fly the airplane. It is not designed to teach you that.

I would recommend something like the X-Plane PPL Learn to Fly series over at x-plane.org. I cannot vouch for all of the material as I have only watched one of the lessons, but what I saw seemed reasonable.

I don't want to dissuade you from enjoying your time online, however, if you haven't yet learned how to fly the plane, it's likely that the combination of working with ATC, and talking on the radio will quickly become overwhelming (and that is never enjoyable) if you're still working on the mechanics of flying the airplane. This has precedence in real world training, too, student pilots don't touch the radio early on in their pilot training...it is ALL about learning the fundamentals.

Give the PPL school a try, work at it, and then when you can conduct a solid flight from A to B, or do a few laps around the pattern where the plane is still usable when you're done with it ( ), then come and join us!

I hope this view won't upset others who read it. I genuinely think it's the best approach for the original poster to have a good experience when he's ready.

Hi all ... given this post is dated - anyone aware of a similar learn to fly program but for P3D rather than X-Plane?

Also the ZLA link now appears broken, is there a replacement?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

ptd.vatsim.net will give you a list of VATSIM Authorized Training Organizations.  VATSTAR would be one one I recommend. 

As a heads-up, the VATSIM Pilot Ratings are being restructured effective June 1st, so, there may be a transition period where programs you enroll in now may be designated by a different rating number in six weeks. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 2 weeks later...
Chris Mayne
Posted
Posted
On 4/22/2020 at 9:10 AM, Robert Shearman Jr said:

ptd.vatsim.net will give you a list of VATSIM Authorized Training Organizations.  VATSTAR would be one one I recommend. 

As a heads-up, the VATSIM Pilot Ratings are being restructured effective June 1st, so, there may be a transition period where programs you enroll in now may be designated by a different rating number in six weeks. 

Are any of the approved ATOs offering training using the new ratings yet?  Is there a formal transition plan?

Ethan Hawes
Posted
Posted

No, none yet. The new ratings are slated to go live September 1st. You can earn up to a P2 though by completing training under the current system. 

ETHAN HAWES 
Pilot Training Department
##  [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

• 4 months later...
Carlos Gale
Posted
Posted

I have a question how do you setup push to talk key on xquabox

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Carlos Gale said:

I have a question how do you setup push to talk key on xquabox

Hi!

You can find all the information about XSquawkBox in the software manual, found here: https://xsb2-manual.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

You will find the answer under "Configuring XSquawkBox"

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new