You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX PC

Dan Giordano

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted
Nope, go with the AMD, but get a black edition in case you want to overclock.

do you mean go with Intel? or is the AMD phenom ii x4 or 6 just as good as the intel i5 2400-2500?

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

ahh nevermind that last post, saw that u edited and made it clear lol

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

ok, now just clarify, i am not building a pc. is there a company that you guys would recommend? i know someone mentioned sandy bridge, are there any others? ive been looking at cyberpower and ibuypower but maby there are some that i haven't heard of.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Sandy bridge isn't a computer company, it's the name for a series of intel processors. Ibuypower is 'ok', but if your not building it yourself your getting ripped off. It's not that hard

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
ok, now if i were to go with a phenom ii x4 over an intel i5 2400 or 2500, would there be much of a performance loss on clouds with an AMD? cause i see youtube videos of guys running high settings on both chips, but i never see any videos of them going through thick clouds. for some reason clouds have always been a big thing with me, im not so much of an autogen or water effects guy, i mostly fly IFR flights with 737's and that type of stuff so that's why clouds are important.

It depends what is the limiting factor in cloud rendering - the GPU, the CPU speed or the overall bandwidth of the CPU? I believe it's CPU speed, and this is still an area where raw Mhz and IPC wins. Get the Intel.

AMDs are cheaper for a reason.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I disagree with Luke here. Although you may very well see a performance increase with the Intel, it's unlikely it will be worth the extra price.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Although you may very well see a performance increase with the Intel, it's unlikely it will be worth the extra price.

It depends. If that performance increase gets you to your minimum requirement, then one can take your statement and turn it on its head: no amount of savings will be worth the decreased performance.

For an FS9 rig, I'm pretty certain that the i5 with its dynamic overclocking is your best bet since FS9 is all about clock speed and IPC. Having 6 cores at a gigahertz below what an i5 can boost to gives one no advantage. For FSX it's a little less clear, but based on the descriptions that Phil Taylor provided when multi-threading was introduced in SP1, it appears that they were able to parallelize texture load and little more. FSX was fundamentally based around fewer, faster cores.

Of course, what's also missing here is how much additional performance is worth. Considering that I keep an FS rig for 2 or 3 years, I'd gladly pay an extra $200 for better performance. Others might not.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

yeah but to build, its about $180 through tiger direct,and then another $100 for windows, so your at $280 before they even put in the first screw.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

You really should build it yourself.

Luke, I get excellent performance from a fairly old Phenom II X2.

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

i would but i dont know how to lol.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

It's not too hard, you can probably find a decent guide for it. The question is if your time is worth the money you save.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Luke is right. The AMD processor is basically an overpriced Core Duo at this point. There is no advantage at all price or computing wise. You are better off with the cheaper Core Duo.

Also as pointed out it's all about the single fast core. Despite the advancements in DX11 the fastest way to feed the GPU is by using a single core, nevermind the existing limitations with DX9 which really has no support for multiple cores.

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

well guys i went ahead and purchased a PC yesterday. You probably never heard of the company but i got it from "Georgia Computer Workshop". I believe they are a small business located in Atlanta, GA. Nothing but good reviews from them from what ive seen.

basic specs:

i5 2400

ATI Saphire 5670 1GB

4GB DDR3

500GB hard drive

lol should be better than my Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.6GHz and my Intel 82865G integrated graphics controller that im using right now. i did have the nvidia 7600gs for a little over 4 years but the fan stopped working on it.