You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA Convention signups are UP

Mark Zameda 810257

Michael Pedde 918614
Posted
Posted

Hopefully they will be able to accomodate the switch when I call the hotel tomorrow.

Capt. Michael A. Pedde

Eastern Virtual Airlines

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t. Hub Manger

London

Michael Graham 923971
Posted
Posted

Well I might be doing this wrong...but I followed the directions and looks like its a go ahead.

vatusa.jpg

BTW the 110days 9 hours 9 minutes is the amount of days 'till the convention ^^

Michael Pedde 918614
Posted
Posted

I see, well regardless of what happens when I call the hotel, I'll still be seeing you guys there.

Capt. Michael A. Pedde

Eastern Virtual Airlines

London

Michael Pedde 918614
Posted
Posted

I talked with the hotel and according to them all the rooms for the conference rate have been booked. Oh well, I'm still coming though!!

Capt. Michael A. Pedde

Eastern Virtual Airlines

London

Chad Black
Posted
Posted

If all the room are booked, try hotels.com or orbitz.com. Last I checked they had planty of rooms at the same hotel for almost the same price.

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
I talked with the hotel and according to them all the rooms for the conference rate have been booked. Oh well, I'm still coming though!!

Wow that's amazing. We have about 12 people who have signed up and if I understand correctly had 40 rooms???

I guess that means those who booked rooms and haven't registered yet will be registering soon.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Michael Pedde 918614
Posted
Posted

Yea I purchased my plane tickets and hotel first, registration fee I'll be paying shortly. So it looks like there is going to be a big attendance!! I look forward to meeting everyone.

Capt. Michael A. Pedde

Eastern Virtual Airlines

London

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

That's great news!

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Mark Zameda 810257
Posted
Posted

I'm calling the Hilton NOW to get us more rooms! Standby for updates!

Mark Z.

Mark Zameda

VATUSA6

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted

So we out of rooms?

I knew I should have signed up.

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Michael Graham 923971
Posted
Posted
So we out of rooms?

I knew I should have signed up.

Fred...

Andrew Steinberg 939662
Posted
Posted

I havn't signed up yet, will do before the end of the year though. If there's no rooms left, I'm sure my parents won't mind swingin a bit more dough(or even going to the Ritz Carlton )

Andrew Steinberg

C-1, VATUSA

userbar230662ff.gif

Mark Zameda 810257
Posted
Posted

Still haven't gotten a hold of the Hilton yet, but here's how it works.

I tell them that I guarantee a certain number of people will come and give the Hilton money to stay at their hotel. Based off the VATSIM conventions in the past, and off of what we could do to gauge interest, I figured 40 people would need a room (I'm human too).

The Hilton guarantees us those rooms. They'll never book them to anyone else, meaning if 40 people don't show, I have to pay for the rest of the rooms. That's why the number is so hard to figure out.

If we exceed 40 rooms, then it's a case by case basis. I can renegotiate for more rooms, or try something else (like a shuttle from the nearby Radisson). But I still haven't gotten a hold of the Hilton. I've left messages but heard nothing. So for now, reserve your rooms, and if anyone gets denied over the phone, or is told they cannot reserve their room, EMAIL the VATUSA Convention team at info AT vatusaconvention DOT org.

Thanks guys,

Mark Z.

Mark Zameda

VATUSA6

• 3 weeks later...
Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted
Still haven't gotten a hold of the Hilton yet, but here's how it works.

I tell them that I guarantee a certain number of people will come and give the Hilton money to stay at their hotel. Based off the VATSIM conventions in the past, and off of what we could do to gauge interest, I figured 40 people would need a room (I'm human too).

The Hilton guarantees us those rooms. They'll never book them to anyone else, meaning if 40 people don't show, I have to pay for the rest of the rooms. That's why the number is so hard to figure out.

If we exceed 40 rooms, then it's a case by case basis. I can renegotiate for more rooms, or try something else (like a shuttle from the nearby Radisson). But I still haven't gotten a hold of the Hilton. I've left messages but heard nothing. So for now, reserve your rooms, and if anyone gets denied over the phone, or is told they cannot reserve their room, EMAIL the VATUSA Convention team at info AT vatusaconvention DOT org.

Thanks guys,

Mark Z.

Better yet, we can all stay at your house Mark, we have the vans for the shuttle! LOL

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

http://www.skyblueradio.com

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

Andrew Miller 873677
Posted
Posted

I'm all for that.

Andrew Miller

Pablo Norambuena 857610
Posted
Posted

Party at Mark's

Pablo Norambuena

AAC/ZAU/ZAK

2610.png

Jeff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Has a more detailed presentation schedule been created?

If I understand from the website, we have 3.5 hours of lecture on Sat morning and that's it. Some lucky folks are going to be able to go out and visit a live radar facility (way cool), but what about the rest of us?

Is there going to be a live network? Are we going to be able to bring computers and hook up to fly/control?

I am looking for some real details on what exactly my $95 is going to buy me, because even if you take out $30 for dinner, that's $65 for 4 hours of talk? I think my graduate degree is cheaper than that

Are you looking into any other alternate hotels around the airport as well that may be less expensive (although $89 is a SWEET deal)? Many of them have free shuttles to the airport. Sorry, I'm a cheap son of a gun....

If you need any help organizing or setting up, please let me know. I know these things are not easy to master.

Jeff Thomas

VP-IT

https://joinava.org

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted

Hi Jeff,

Yes, well, kind of... I am working a schedule now, however, I'm waiting on some more definite answers from some presentors. So, soon.

The concept is yes, the afternoon of Saturday will be fly in material... Flying and controlling. VATUSA wide. Mark Brummett from ZKC is the lead on the network and you can contact him if you have any ideas, etc for it.

'Um, I'm not sure if MZ needs a hand or two, you can email the team at [email protected]

JT

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
I am looking for some real details on what exactly my $95 is going to buy me, because even if you take out $30 for dinner, that's $65 for 4 hours of talk? I think my graduate degree is cheaper than that

Don't come then. They need to cover the cost of the room and $95 is pretty damn cheap for a convention at the Ohare Hilton in my mind.

They are working on more "details" but to me, just going to hang out is worth the price.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Mark Zameda 810257
Posted
Posted

To everyone inquiring about the price of the convention.

We have so far reserved 33 rooms out of a possible 45. If we reserve 45 rooms the price of the meeting room will be at least 900.00. If we break 50 rooms reserved then the meeting room is on the house. I can't take that chance.

I don't know where you get 30 dollars for a meal, but if you can give me the name of that caterer, I'll give them a call. The Hilton will be charging us a little less than 60 bucks a plate for a buffet style dinner that is casual. In the Chicago area that is a comparable and competitive price. Why buffet? So you can pick what you want.

So your 95 dollars is going towards helping me not go broke over planning this event. If by the luck of God we are in a surplus, I plan to purchase several Flight Simulator addons to give out in raffles during dinner. However with the way things are looking, I'll be lucky to simply break even. Your money goes towards the hotel, I don't see a dime of it.

As for rooms, they are still available, and if we do happen to start filling up, they can make room for more. I haven't looked at other hotels simply because we still haven't filled our block yet!

Mark Z.

Mark Zameda

VATUSA6

Jeff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Mark,

I wasn't trying to put you on the defensive at all. If you feel that way, I apologize profusely.

I know how crazy these things are. I was just curious what else was planned.

Thank you for all your hard work, and if you need some extra hands, let me know.

Jeff

Jeff Thomas

VP-IT

https://joinava.org

Mark Zameda 810257
Posted
Posted

Oh no, I don't feel that way at all! I'd be asking the same questions if the roles were reversed!

I can always use an extra set of hands. I just got the tour group approved to ZAU this morning, so hopefully if I can find someone at work to help, I can bring more than 8 people for the tour. If that is the case, then we may be able to bring as many as 16 people to ZAU. This is NOT written in stone though, I don't know if I have enough to buy that much scotch for the guy who would have to come in on his day off.

Mark

Mark Zameda

VATUSA6

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted
Oh no, I don't feel that way at all! I'd be asking the same questions if the roles were reversed!

I can always use an extra set of hands. I just got the tour group approved to ZAU this morning, so hopefully if I can find someone at work to help, I can bring more than 8 people for the tour. If that is the case, then we may be able to bring as many as 16 people to ZAU. This is NOT written in stone though, I don't know if I have enough to buy that much scotch for the guy who would have to come in on his day off.

Mark

LOL - I'll send some cash for ya Mark and let you off that chicken wing deal if that will help...

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg