You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Keith Smith at ZLA is SUPERMAN

Chad Black

Chad Black
Posted
Posted (edited)

With all the "hoopla" lately about Los Angeles ARTCC, I think a simple, no strings attached, pat on the back is long over-do. Last night Mr. Smith had his hands full to say the least. He was dealing with a couple of newbie’s, what sounded like 30 IFR aircraft, 3 VFR aircraft (one being me), a fecal load of people asking for departure clearances, and a blimp. He handled it flawlessly. I was flying VFR using real world sectionals and TAC charts from Phoenix to Las Vegas in a "piddly" Piper Cherokee. KS treated me just like any other pilot in his busy airspace, and the show outside the window was amazing. I saw more planes outside my window in the air and on the ground, then I ever have before, and everything went without incident- smooth as butter. My hats off to the ZLA staff.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lance Williams

• Ross Carlson

• Bo Gercke 845743

• Chad Black

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lance Williams

Lance Williams 6 posts

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 6 posts

• Bo Gercke 845743

Bo Gercke 845743 5 posts

• Chad Black

Chad Black 4 posts

Popular Days

• Dec 7 2005

18 posts

• Dec 16 2005

12 posts

• Dec 6 2005

9 posts

• Dec 17 2005

6 posts

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Keith Rocks.

He's also pretty funny.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Michael Graham 923971
Posted
Posted

I love flying with KS!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

No doubt, Keith is one of the best ... it amazes me how he keeps his cool when the newbies throw a few wrenches into the works. I wish I had that kind of patience.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Bo Gercke 845743
Posted
Posted

I like the spirit of the post, and I understand the public support... But give the pilot feedback link over at the website a shot. He'll appreciate the kind words.

Chad Black
Posted
Posted
I like the spirit of the post, and I understand the public support... But give the pilot feedback link over at the website a shot. He'll appreciate the kind words.

It was the first thing I did... then after that I came over here to post about it.

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

Chad, sounds like you've never participated in a TGIF.

Nice Job Keith, nice to hear some positive words about a controller.

Andrew Musselman
Posted
Posted

That's what I was going to say... and yeah Keith, always fun flying under your scope bro.

1000.png

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted
Keith Smith at ZLA is SUPERMAN

Does this mean he controls wearing underwear and a cape?

superman2.jpg

But seriously, I have flown through ZLA in the past with Keith controlling and he does a fine job.

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted (edited)

If Keith President, the world would be a better place!

Edited by Guest

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Mike Evans
Posted
Posted (edited)

(Edited to reflect edited post above)

Edited by Guest

Mike Evans

Ingo Harders
Posted
Posted

I guess we have to call him "Mr. Center" from now on . He does a great job and to be honest, so do the rest of the controllers in that area. Keep it up and I will keep flying

Mike, not sure what you see wrong with Lance's post. Perhaps you need a pinch of humor, or keep your animosities out of threads like this. It sort of takes away from the spirit of the thread.

Regards

N405HT

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted
I guess we have to call him "Mr. Center" from now on . He does a great job and to be honest, so do the rest of the controllers in that area. Keep it up and I will keep flying

Mike, not sure what you see wrong with Lance's post. Perhaps you need a pinch of humor, or keep your animosities out of threads like this. It sort of takes away from the spirit of the thread.

The post was edited from its original content.....

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

I believe the original post had to do with the replacement of the current ZLA Chief...

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Original post was meant to be funny, but didn't come across as I wanted it to and was interpreted by Mike in a negative manner so it was edited by me.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Marc Sykes 852946
Posted
Posted

That's Lance for you! Never met a positive, feel-good, non-controversial thread he couldn't somehow turn into a mudslinging flamefest.

In fact, that's EXACTLY why nobody else, including Keith (who has in fact been offered a few promotions in his day), *wants* my job -- you become the point man for dealing with that kind of garbage, and it takes too much time away from actually controlling. While I think Keith would do a hell of a job of leading ZLA, I can't argue with his desire to spend the majority of his VATSIM time on the scope rather than doing administrative work -- and looking at all the positive feedback he gets on a daily basis (far, far more than the rest of our controllers combined), I'd say the pilots prefer to see him logged on as well, as opposed to doing other things.

Bottom line: Keith is awesome -- his dedication to providing the best possible controlling service, as well as to helping both controllers and pilots, is virtually unrivaled. He deserves every bit of praise that he gets and more, and I'm glad to see him getting it.

Marc Sykes

Toronto ACC Trainee

Aaron Flodin 878523
Posted
Posted

It's the accent...He has an unfair advantage Grrrr.

All jokes aside, Keith is great guy to work with.....

DPE / CFI / CFII / MEI (Gold Seal)

CP-ASEL, AMEL, IA, GLIDER, E170/175/190/195, CE-500

VATSIM Supervisor

Joe Mifsud 928114
Posted
Posted

Wow Keith your a popular guy!

Great job dude!

Chad Black
Posted
Posted

I've been in more TGIF's than I can count (I'm the Co-Founder of VCAIR, and have been flying in them since their inception ) They too, bring in tons of traffic, but last night was a real treat...even better than the TGIF's I've flown in. I had planes and blimps all around me! Guess you just had to be there. 'Twas lots 'o' fun!

Aaron Flodin 878523
Posted
Posted

Ahh the infamous ZLA blimp

DPE / CFI / CFII / MEI (Gold Seal)

CP-ASEL, AMEL, IA, GLIDER, E170/175/190/195, CE-500

VATSIM Supervisor

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

The official ZLA Party Blimp. Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm going to have to call shenanigans as well for the unfair accent advantage.

Nah, Keith is a great guy. Needless to say, he's a pleasure to work with on the scopes as well. I'll work any sector any day the week next to Keith. Makes controlling a real joy!

Original post was meant to be funny, but didn't come across as I wanted it to...

Saying Marc needs to be replaced was meant to be funny? How could anyone possibly think that's funny? I tried so hard to get the humor but...I'm just not getting it.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
Saying Marc needs to be replaced
g

Now people are putting words in my mouth. I never once said Marc needs to be replaced. Start whinning all you want again, put words in my mouth folks. I don't care.

No comment to Marcs comments above. You can keep ranting like the whinner you are too.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Jason Harris 877712
Posted
Posted

I'm going to have to call shenanigans as well for the unfair accent advantage.....

'I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans." '

Anywho....my favorite part about flying with Keith controlling is how he can control, reprimand, and teach all at the same time....

ME: Center, XXXX with you 3400 climbing to 7000

Keith: Please check the DP you need to make a left turn to hdg XXX, c/m 12000 and hope you miss that mountain*

And the best part is that with his accent you have no idea if he's being nice to you or extremely sarcastic

*NOTE: not an actual quote, but you get the point

Jason Harris

3712.png

Marc Sykes 852946
Posted
Posted
No comment to Marcs comments above. You can keep ranting like the whinner you are too.

There's no "h" in "winner," Lance, but thanks for the compliment.

Marc Sykes

Toronto ACC Trainee

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted
ME: Center, XXXX with you 3400 climbing to 7000

Tsk tsk tsk... you wanna lose the "to", can make for some nice misunderstandings... What? Me a smart[Mod - Happy Thoughts]? Naaaaaw....

Anyway, since I never had the pleasure of flying under Keith´s control, you guys have made me curious now. Guess I need to plan a flight into ZLA airspace rather soon, huh? Oh, and I need to know: What kind of accent does Keith have? A british one? In that case I may feel just like at home (Europe) even though I´m flying on the other side of the globe, hehe.

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

VACCSAG-Banner-300x65.gif