You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Volume Overlap

Daniel Hawton

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

I didn't see this in the manual, what happens when volumes of the same type overlap?

Like let's say for instance, I am really lazy.. like, really... so I want to take the shape of the TRACON and set it's MSAW to 1300 (based off of the MVA map). Then add the appropriate MSAW volumes for the obstacles. Each obstacle has a 3nm ring around it, but some obstacles are closer than 3nm. What happens when the circles overlap? Does it go with the highest for the overlapped area?

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

It should check the aircraft's position according to each of the overlapping volumes and if inside one, it would perform that function (ie. trigger MSAW alert).

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I didn't see this in the manual, what happens when volumes of the same type overlap?

Like let's say for instance, I am really lazy.. like, really... so I want to take the shape of the TRACON and set it's MSAW to 1300 (based off of the MVA map). Then add the appropriate MSAW volumes for the obstacles. Each obstacle has a 3nm ring around it, but some obstacles are closer than 3nm. What happens when the circles overlap? Does it go with the highest for the overlapped area?

Edit: I completely misunderstood, and overcomplicated my answer.

The answer is yes, it'll go with the highest ceiling.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Edit: I completely misunderstood, and overcomplicated my answer.

The answer is yes, it'll go with the highest ceiling.

That's what I figured, just never got around to actually building a set of MSAW regions during the whole beta test phase. Woo laziness?

Rahul Parkar
Posted
Posted

No Boo laziness!

Bad Dan!

Cheers!

Rahul

Rahul Parkar

"On second thoughts Nappa, catch it, catch it with your teeth" -- Vegeta

Professional Nerd. (Professionally not professional)