You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Swift - Pilot client progress

Robert Bressert

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted
Can anyone on the team speak to the performance hit on a system running this? Is it being tested on older PCs to make sure it's not a big drain?

Not yet Steve as we are not in the test phase actually. We try to keep a good level between performance and quality - but more to this topic later this year.

f72.gif

Project Manager - swift pilot client project

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sascha Steingrobe 880415

• Roland Rossgotterer 104726

• Richard Asberg

• Mathew Sutcliffe

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sascha Steingrobe 880415

Sascha Steingrobe 880415 34 posts

• Roland Rossgotterer 104726

Roland Rossgotterer 104726 29 posts

• Richard Asberg

Richard Asberg 14 posts

• Mathew Sutcliffe

Mathew Sutcliffe 12 posts

Popular Days

• Aug 21 2013

24 posts

• Mar 5 2014

11 posts

• Mar 29 2016

10 posts

• Feb 26 2014

10 posts

Callum McLoughlin
Posted
Posted

Rome wasn't built in a day. Maybe get a user friendly version of the tech we use today, then improve on that in subsequent releases. The longer the development time due to fancy new features, the greater the chance this will never be released.

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted
Rome wasn't built in a day. Maybe get a user friendly version of the tech we use today, then improve on that in subsequent releases. The longer the development time due to fancy new features, the greater the chance this will never be released.

+1

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Robin Ten Boden 1257143
Posted
Posted

I think that a lot of pilots would like the client to be low on CPU/GPU usage..... I just have 4GB of ram for example and an i5 CPU, which is not great, since i'm running fsx on the bootcamp side of my imac. And if you need any Dutch translations, just send a SELCAL to DutchVACC and we'll help. So again, the GUI looks nice but I hope it's not to much for my computer to handle...

PMDG 737-8 || Majestic Dash 8 Q400 || Aerosoft Airbus X

Vataware

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted
I think that a lot of pilots would like the client to be low on CPU/GPU usage..... I just have 4GB of ram for example and an i5 CPU, which is not great, since i'm running fsx on the bootcamp side of my imac. And if you need any Dutch translations, just send a SELCAL to DutchVACC and we'll help. So again, the GUI looks nice but I hope it's not to much for my computer to handle...

I will come back to you and send you a CPDLC request - "wen can we....go for a dutch translation "...nor worries - the GUI is not a big deal, talking about ressources. When it comes to the modell matching and the P2P with 1Hz as well as the model injection in the FSX we have mostly the performance issues with older clients. As well we got the FSX limitations here. But as we are using a different technology and we are working with AI models first only - we hope to be framefriendly.

f72.gif

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted

As all the features are a part of the client and most of them are connected to the other functions, we can not easily release just a small version and push the rest after. We will deliver the whole service and thrust me in, there is a big chance this team will make it until we release it.

f72.gif

Gary Tekulsky 1134195
Posted
Posted (edited)
I'm missed the IMHO important feature, to adjust the volume of the ATIS/COM2 frequency in the requirements. Think it's important, because when I want to check the ATIS in flight, the voice ATIS is often to loud to still hear COM1 to be aware of calls from ATC.
I am not sure if we can optional reduce the volume of the COM2 panel. Let me check with the dev team if there are options to do that. Its not only that easy as there are limitations and we would not plan to do a complete workaround just for the volume of one channel - its not worth of the result - but as I said, I will check it for you.

Unfortunately all clients are largely restricted by the VATSIM Voice Library. Not sure if the Pilot Client Guys have made any modifications, but the copy I have will only allow setting of output volume of each output device, not the sources (e.g. voice channel, file player, etc.)

Also, it is unlikely that we will see any changes to the sound quality as the codec can't be changed without breaking existing software.

As David says the currently provided version of the VATSIM Networking and Voice Library does not support nor provide this feature. The Open Source Pilot Client will be using my Shim Library, which allows us to make the client open source while hiding the NDA-protected parts. As part of the Shim Library we are working to make some improvements and fixes to the standard VATSIM Voice and Networking Library to make it run better on modern systems. Audio data is very easy to work with, so I will definitely look into adding this feature.

As for the sound quality, it is out of our hands as all current clients use a specific encoding, the changing of which would break compatibility. The specific encoding used is designed to reduce bandwith for both the users and the servers, and part of that encoding restricts the quality of the audio data. The best we can do is see if we can offer options in the audio wizards/settings to help users setup their microphones better.

Edited by Guest

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted

On behalf of the actual development:

I would like to ask you for more help as its easier to get it done via the big community, as we have to count down with 2 people.

We need a loads of AI traffic for the repository.

If you would love to do us an honor - check your AI aircrafts and try to get the developer and his email, so we can get in touch with him to get an approval for using it in the VATSIM repository database.

We are a development team which is very hard working on the code and features so I do not want to disturb the team with that tasks.

As I am doing this job as well and its not easy to find somehow these developer nor their emails, some of you can be in contact with some and would do us a big big pleasure.

So if you got any helping information - please contact me via: [email protected]

Many thanks,

Sascha

f72.gif

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted

As David says the currently provided version of the VATSIM Networking and Voice Library does not support nor provide this feature. The Open Source Pilot Client will be using my Shim Library, which allows us to make the client open source while hiding the NDA-protected parts. As part of the Shim Library we are working to make some improvements and fixes to the standard VATSIM Voice and Networking Library to make it run better on modern systems. Audio data is very easy to work with, so I will definitely look into adding this feature.

Many thanks Gary!

f72.gif

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Portuguese is on me if necessary!

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Florian Rimoli
Posted
Posted

Hello from France and congratulations for this fantastic project !

I'm available if you need french translators ( i know it's a bit early at this state of the project ).

Then, i'm a senior iOS Developer, so i you wish to port the CPDLC ( or anything else ) on Apple Tablets/Phones, i can be your guy.

Unfortunately, i'm a poor and low experienced C++ dev...

Congratulations again for your work, french pilots, ATCs and whole VAT France expect a lot from this project !

Cheers !

Florian Rimoli

French vACC 

vatsim.fr

Richard Bowcott 934080
Posted
Posted

Will the client run on a networked pc?

Cheers

Riche

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted
Hello from France and congratulations for this fantastic project !

I'm available if you need french translators ( i know it's a bit early at this state of the project ).

Then, i'm a senior iOS Developer, so i you wish to port the CPDLC ( or anything else ) on Apple Tablets/Phones, i can be your guy.

Unfortunately, i'm a poor and low experienced C++ dev...

Congratulations again for your work, french pilots, ATCs and whole VAT France expect a lot from this project !

Cheers !

Many thanks Florian for your words I will forward them to the whole team.

As we are approaching these phase in a few weeks, I will contact you for this really great idea! (CPDLC on tablets etc.)

Best wishes from the team to France and their pilots/controllers.

Kind regards,

Sascha Steingrobe

f72.gif

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted
Will the client run on a networked pc?

Cheers

Riche

We are working on this as well and the last information I got from the team - yes.

As well its on our requirement list for networking and HC builders.

Regards,

Sascha

f72.gif

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Sascha,

Unfortunately my availability is very unpredictable and probably non-Euro friendly at the moment (I'm in Australia, UTC+10). You should have my email address so anything you want to discuss, I'm happy to do via that.

Regarding the new flight plan system, I had planned to finish the specification and send to the BoG for an approval in principle, but I've put that on hold as there are way too many things competing for my time at the moment (including the ATC Client I'm working on which has priority over the flight plan stuff at the moment).

David Zhong

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted
Sascha,

Unfortunately my availability is very unpredictable and probably non-Euro friendly at the moment (I'm in Australia, UTC+10). You should have my email address so anything you want to discuss, I'm happy to do via that.

Regarding the new flight plan system, I had planned to finish the specification and send to the BoG for an approval in principle, but I've put that on hold as there are way too many things competing for my time at the moment (including the ATC Client I'm working on which has priority over the flight plan stuff at the moment).

As i am moving to OZ (Brisbane) on sunday, its more easy for us to get in contact. Thanks for the update.

f72.gif

Richard Bowcott 934080
Posted
Posted

Another thing I found setting up audio on the other clients, is that you have too wait for a controller or pilot to speak before you can make any real adjustments too volumes etc . (Then its short calls you hear). I know each persons mics etc are different , but would it be possible too add an audio file to the new client so you can get roughly in the ball park with the audio settings? Just a thought. Looking forward too using the new client when it arrives.

Cheers

Riche

David Zhong
Posted
Posted
As i am moving to OZ (Brisbane) on sunday, its more easy for us to get in contact. Thanks for the update.

Well enjoy the sunny weather! You have an email...

David Zhong

Callum McLoughlin
Posted
Posted

If you want a hand with any docomeentation please let me now. I'd be happy to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist you.

Best regards

Callum

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted
If you want a hand with any docomeentation please let me now. I'd be happy to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist you.

Best regards

Callum

Many thanks to all of the last replies and the offer for translation and helpin out with the docomeentation.

When we are approaching the beta test phase and docomeentation preparation I will count you all in .

Great community we have with loads of help and ressources I have seen over the last month.

Regards,

Sascha

f72.gif

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted

Here the last FS AI model designer approved the usage of their brilliant models for the big repository:

Many thanks to them!

46si.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

f72.gif

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted

If you like our signature - here you go to promote the project

4ir.gif

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/162/4ir.gif

or ask for the .gif via email...

f72.gif

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

This is awesome. I've been wanting a repository for ages. What does supersonic approved refer to? Is the client going to be called supersonic?

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Sascha Steingrobe 880415
Posted
Posted
This is awesome. I've been wanting a repository for ages. What does supersonic approved refer to? Is the client going to be called supersonic?

... no information to this yet

f72.gif

Hadi Remonion 1198912
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I'm happy that there's going to be a new client.

If possible, I wanted to ask developpers to make the client accessible to those who are using a ScreenReader, by providing shortcuts for various actions of the client.

Thank you

Blind (Visually impaired) Pilot flying with voice control and virtual co-pilot.

Delta Virtual Airlines pilot, DVA10222