You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What Happened At KJAX Event?

Aharon Dayan

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

some users dont have english as their native language. ive seen worse, and from folks who do

Francisco Obregon 1004310
Posted
Posted

I had a bad experience as well (And I arrived early in the event to avoid the major amount of traffic) , however, I left my feedback on their website.

However, I will say, I never thought I would have a TCAS RA and actually have to take action on VATSIM.

Anthony Pavlak 1058071
Posted
Posted

It has happened to me during an event. I was thankful for the opportunity to respond to a unique situation on the network. Since this is all pretend-planes, no reason to get upset.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Couple minutes later, the next set of instructions that I heard over the frequency....was intended for me. I didn't think the controller knew I was on the frequency, but I wasn't going to question it. At least he knew I was there.

He [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed you were there. Remember, he learned about your existence BEFORE you received an instruction to contact him. You arrived while several transactions were going on. If he was a good controller, he was issuing higher priority instructions before calling you. This happens in the real world all the time.

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted
Funny story, actually. I remember one time being handed off to the next controller, so I went on the next controller's frequency. I was waiting until I'd be able to get a word in, but there were enough pilots talking to ATC and the controller responding that I didn't actually get a chance to get a word in since I was hearing instruction after instruction after instruction after instruction, and I certainly didn't want to talk over the controller. Couple minutes later, the next set of instructions that I heard over the frequency....was intended for me. I didn't think the controller knew I was on the frequency, but I wasn't going to question it. At least he knew I was there.

I sometimes do this when the frequency goes really silly. If you're already identified by the previous controller I already know everything I need to give you an instruction so sometimes I will either see the pilot in the ES voice room (I wish I had one of those list in the real world!) or I will just take a chance and call you anyway. It's not 100% standard practice but it can help with frequency congestion. Sometimes the technique is also used on purpose in the form of "(callsign) monitor (station) (frequency)", ie "BAW123 monitor tower 118.5". This is a way to reduce the RT loading and will allow the controller to call the pilot when he needs them.

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Kevin Yang
Posted
Posted
Sometimes the technique is also used on purpose in the form of "(callsign) monitor (station) (frequency)", ie "BAW123 monitor tower 118.5". This is a way to reduce the RT loading and will allow the controller to call the pilot when he needs them.

This one I am familiar with, so in a situation like that, that would be expected.

Captain Kevin

8e9bfe368edaef204bfa6a1373fc6422.jpg