You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Running vPilot on a second networked computer? Please read!

Zachary Zalass 1205552

Todd Malek
Posted
Posted

Remind me to ask you to build my next machine!

Anytime!

Cheers,

Todd.

CXA557-2.jpg

VATSIM: P1

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a broadcasting issue.

Is it possible that vPilot is broadcasting over the entire network instead of just to the FS PC? I know this shouldn't happen because of the Simconnect, but it sure sounds like it.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot doesn't do anything with the local network. That's all SimConnect territory. I seriously doubt that it uses broadcast packets, since you have to specify the server IP in your cfg file.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Herby GORE 1217546
Posted
Posted
Morten and Herby, can you try running vPilot on the same computer as FSX and see if it is much smoother?
Done

And it is absolutely smooth when vpilot runs on the same rig than FS. Same fps than the simulator and no stuttering at all.

Here are the specs of my FSX rig: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H - [email protected] - 8GB Gskill trident 2400MHz - Asus GTX 660 Ti Direct CU

The other computer is a virtual machine (Parallels desktop) running on a MBP retina.

The 2 computer are linked via gigabit ethernet.

Hope it helps

1414406989.png1217546.png

Colin Billing
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

Just to also add input to this thread. I'm running vPilot (great bit of work by the way!) on a networked machine, and the movement is very stuttery.... in fact I've noticed they tend to make 2 or 3 "jumps" and then be fluid for 1/3 second or so and then repeat.... I also run AS Next and BAV ACARS software on the remote machine but have also tried just running vPilot and nothing changes

Running vPilot on the main FSX machine is silky smooth.... but as I'm running on 3x monitors in full screen I can't work out how I can use vPilot on that - so any sort of insight to how to make the networked scenario smooth would be greatly appreciated.

Like I said though, top job on the software.

Best

Robert Grant
Posted
Posted (edited)

stutters here too

P3D v2.2 machine

i7 3770K not OC

32G RAM

256SSD with W7 64 bit

500G SSD running P3d v2.2

GPU

two ASUS GTX780s in SLI mode running three 2560x1440 monitors .

i5

intel gpu

16G ram

stutters in windowed and full screen.

Edited by Guest

Regards

Rob

P1/P2/P3 /C3/ VATAME1 (retired)

Roland Rossgotterer 104726
Posted
Posted

When Simconnect is used via network and not properly configured, Simconnect tries to connect and blocks for a looooong time. We had a similar issue with our client (frozen gui) and made the connection asynchron because of that.

swift - Technical Manager

http://swift-project.org/

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted
Morten and Herby, can you try running vPilot on the same computer as FSX and see if it is much smoother?

Ross, I confirm it is smooth on the main. The stutters on networked is not depending the other load on SimConnect or FSUIPC/WideFS, I tried solo, then added sequentially BAV ACARS, ASN, Aivlasoft EFB and Plan-G.

Cheers,

morten_steen_zpsbqpwg3mb.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Topics merged.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Richard Bowcott 934080
Posted
Posted
When Simconnect is used via network and not properly configured, Simconnect tries to connect and blocks for a looooong time. We had a similar issue with our client (frozen gui) and made the connection asynchron because of that.

So is your vpilot now running smooth on a remote pc now? If so please explain what you did to fix it

Cheers

Riche

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

So is your vpilot now running smooth on a remote pc now? If so please explain what you did to fix it

Cheers

Riche

He's talking about Swift, not vPilot. And he's not referring to smooth movement of aircraft, he's just talking about the problem of the GUI freezing when you run it on a network and you don't have SimConnect configured right, or FSX isn't running yet.

I have a solution for the smooth movement which I'll be releasing soon as an open beta version.

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted

I have a solution for the smooth movement which I'll be releasing soon as an open beta version.

Excellent news Ross, I'm enjoying vPilot very much, it's performing brilliantly on my networked setup, except for the movement of the AI. If you can solve this, I truly bow my head

Cheers,

morten_steen_zpsbqpwg3mb.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I've just posted an open beta version that includes the remote TrafficProxy program to make aircraft movement smooth when vPilot is used in a network configuration. See this thread for details and a download link:

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=65022