VATSIM Connexion 2017 - discussion

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously specifics are unavailable for this event at this time, but I am curious, in general terms... Is London an expensive city to visit in terms of accommodation, meals, etc...?

It really depends on where in London it is. Like, a hotel in the city centre will cost upwards of 90 GBP a night. It really depends on what you like. A proper hotel in London can cost over 200 pounds, but there's a lot of variation and it depends on when and where. I wouldn't shell out that much, I'd prefer a "budget hotel" which are perfectly fine in London (just avoid Feltham, Peckham and Tower Hamlets - my opinion ofc)

Being cheaper, I'd personally settle for a Premier Inn (Large UK hotel chain, dotted around London, near Tube stations - will cost 60 GBP+ a night) - Comfy, safe, helpful, cheap and reliable. You don't need to shell out on the Ritz to enjoy London. Just get on the Tube and adventure!

As for food, it also depends. You can go to a fast food joint and spend under 9 quid, or you can go to a Michelin started restaurant and spend 900 quid.

Getting around is pretty good too.

From what I know, London is as expensive as you make it.

(Have to disagree with Johan, I think Sweden is much more expensive but worth it )

I have stayed at the Renaissance Heathrow Hotel a number of times, that would be a great location for the Convention. It has a big conference room, it is right next too Rwy 09L/27R at Heathrow, so also a great location for some plane spotting. They even offer a plane spotters package special during the week, which gets you a room facing Heathrow airport, with some great views of the airport.

Hi, I'm a new member so this would be fantastic. However please also make sure that the venue and any other facilities offered (hotels, transport etc) are fully wheelchair user friendly.

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard

You will find that most if not all hotels and transport in and around the London area are wheelchair friendly. It is pretty much a requirement now in the UK that hotels etc facilitate wheelchair users

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, darn the luck, my cruise in France ends 7/22/17 and the convention is one week later. I do not suppose there is any chance that VATSIM will move the convention one week earlier; No, I didn't really think so.

So is there anyone, like a VATSIM person who runs an AIRBNB house could put up an older couple for a very small amount of Pounds for a week so we could attend. I may even be able to talk my wife to go home early and it would be only me. I would be willing to do laundry or yard work to stay, rather than fly back to London five days later.

Anyone with a heart would help me; I am so pitiful.

Ed Sterling

ZAB_FE

VATSIM_UK Northern Visitor.

Ed Sterling

ZAB C3/G-EDCS

• Board of Governors
Well, darn the luck, my cruise in France ends 7/22/17 and the convention is one week later. I do not suppose there is any chance that VATSIM will move the convention one week earlier; No, I didn't really think so.

So is there anyone, like a VATSIM person who runs an AIRBNB house could put up an older couple for a very small amount of Pounds for a week so we could attend. I may even be able to talk my wife to go home early and it would be only me. I would be willing to do laundry or yard work to stay, rather than fly back to London five days later.

Anyone with a heart would help me; I am so pitiful.

Ed Sterling

ZAB_FE

VATSIM_UK Northern Visitor.

Ed

See how you get on over at the UK forums - not everybody from the UK reads these ones.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
President
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo
  • Board of Governors
It would have made more sense to have the venue near or next to one of the main airports around London for example Heathrow seeing Vatsim is about aviation.

Marcus

This was discounted as it would have significantly increased the ticket price.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
President
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

I will be attending the Convention and would be willing to spend some time before and after the convention times answering questions on matters such as places of interest, places to eat & drink and the best way to get around in public transport which is very extensive. Those who have not been to London before, won't regret the experience. Despite any rumours to the contrary people in Britain will go out of their way to make you welcome and ensure your stay is a pleasant one. Of course you may find the odd cockney word or expression here and there that you don't understand, but fear not, someone is likely to be around to translate it for you!

Personally I am looking forward to puting a face and press the flesh of a few people I have encountered online in the Vatsim network and of course attend my first Vatsim Convention in all the years since I joined Vatsim.

Regards

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

• Board of Governors
It would have made more sense to have the venue near or next to one of the main airports around London for example Heathrow seeing Vatsim is about aviation.

As a first time visitor to London, I am more than happy for it to be downtown.

Tim Barber

Vice President, Operations

VATSIM Board of Governors