You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

aircharts.org charts not loading

Peter Thomas

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

ECR (formally known as Leroy) has been rebuilt, and a new EXE published that should address issues with saving location and size.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daniel Hawton

• Marcus Becker 1142460

• Bradley Grafelman

• Peter Thomas

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daniel Hawton

Daniel Hawton 20 posts

• Marcus Becker 1142460

Marcus Becker 1142460 19 posts

• Bradley Grafelman

Bradley Grafelman 3 posts

• Peter Thomas

Peter Thomas 2 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 27 2017

9 posts

• Apr 28 2017

8 posts

• Apr 24 2017

5 posts

• Apr 25 2017

5 posts

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

Just downloaded the ECR. The charts don't load. Also, if you're willing to listen and take feedback, I think the buttons may be too big. I like the idea that once you input the airport code all the charts are right there. With the buttons at the present size, some airports (KDEN for example) you have scroll quite a bit to get to an approach procedure.

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

the charts load for me but only cover the left 5-10% ish of the window.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

I'm seeing that small box too, when I expand it's empty. Only white.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Odd.. showing at full width for me. I'll investigate further when I get home from work.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Code modified and tested.

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

I wonder what's going on then? It has changed a bit from my last attempt. Unfortunately, every airport I try doesn't return results.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
I wonder what's going on then? It has changed a bit from my last attempt. Unfortunately, every airport I try doesn't return results.

What identifier(s)?

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

I don't get returns from any code. It says it processing and then nothing.

nUvEqGd.png

tSJQrET.png

0k4RPA4.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I don't get returns from any code.

Are you only using IATA identifiers? Have you tried ICAO identifiers instead?

EDIT: Perhaps Daniel will know more, but it seems like you should be hitting a "Not Found" result, which means you should be seeing this error message before the window's brightness is restored and the search box is displayed again:

bb508a2039.png

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

I tried both and get the same result. Just a blank page. 2 days ago it at least showed what charts were available but the chart wouldn't open.

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

Are there temporary files with my old LEROY install affecting something, maybe?

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Out of curiosity, what happens if you open Internet Explorer and navigate to https://www.aircharts.org/ECR - can you try searching for "SNA" (which should result in an error) and "KSNA" (which brings up charts for me)?

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

I have't used IE in years. However, you are correct in that using SNA doesn't provide results but KSNA does in Explorer. I get the same result (empty screen) either way using the .exe file.

EDIT: I clicked on the AD in Explorer and the chart still doesn't open for me. Blank page with a button that says, "Close PDF".

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
I have't used IE in years. However, you are correct in that using SNA doesn't provide results but KSNA does in Explorer. I get the same result (empty screen) either way using the .exe file.

EDIT: I clicked on the AD in Explorer and the chart still doesn't open for me. Blank page with a button that says, "Close PDF".

Charts take time to display, as my server streams the chart to deliver over HTTPS. What version of IE is installed and OS version? Apparently something with your setup isn't cooperating with javascript. IATA support was removed in the 2nd version of the AirCharts API. IATAs are only supported for airports that have no ICAO identifier, so the intended result is another user posted, an error message saying no charts found and a reminder about using ICAO (which is standard for all empty returns).

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

My IE version is 11.01 something. IATA codes still work on Aircharts.org and worked in LEROY so I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed they worked with ECR. However, ECR isn't reporting any charts either way and doesn't give me an error when I put one in. It returns a blank page that looks exactly like the opening page.

I'm using Windows 10 with the new creators update already automatically installed.

Are you interested and able to help me get it working? All I have done is uninstall LEROY. Unpack the ECR.zip. Run the exe file.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Leroy references the same page with the same code. Aircharts itself doesn't use its API (yet), so it's okay with IATAs... but ECR does.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
My IE version is 11.01 something.

If you open Internet Explorer, you can click the gear/cog icon in the top-right and select "About Internet Explorer". The full version number (in all its glory) will be displayed under the logo. For example, mine is "11.576.14393.0".

I'm not sure if the ECR desktop app is self-updating, but have you tried re-downloading the latest .zip anyway?

Also, if you open the ECR app, right-click on the empty page background, and select Properties, what do you see displayed after "Zone:"? For me, it's "Internet | Protected Mode: Off".

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

The ECR program is nothing more than a wrapper around IE that navigates to aircharts.org/ECR. So there aren't any updates to the exe. It may be a setting he has somewhere that's breaking JavaScript for him

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

I'm getting somewhere. I right clicked inside the blank area of ECR and selected "refresh". Now, i can see what charts are available. When I select a chart it's an empty box.

Bmgrsna.png

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

That means your web browser doesn't have something to display PDFs with.. which is odd. IE built with Windows 10 renders PDFs by default unless you turned it off.

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

Yeah, probably. I really disliked the pdf's opening in browser windows and have them open directly into separate Adobe windows. It allows me to have as many windows open at once as I want. It helps when I'm flying as I can have an Airport Diagram open with a SID I've been cleared for and even a STAR open all at once in separate windows and close them when I'm done. I loved that with LEROY. Select a chart, it opens in Adobe and stays there while I search a different airport.

I'll try to figure out how I did that in adobe and turn it off. I'll [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume I'll only be able to view one chart at a time, then?

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Through ECR yes as the intention was to mimic a chart display found at ZJX. The functionality you want exists on the main site.

Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

Right, I've got it now. Turning on "Display PDF in browser" allows ECR to show the chart within the ECR window.

I'll throw the feedback out there and I may be the only one. It's not as nice to use as LEROY although it is more visually pleasing. The chart size limitation is too small. It would be nice to have the option to open the chart directly into adobe reader or acrobat. I understand that the website allows me to download each chart individually and open them as I desire.

The reason I say that it's handy to have that functionality is that we generally work more airports simultaneously than RW facilities. Switching back and forth between 2 or more airports within the same app can get comebersome. I still appreciate the work on the product.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

ECR is designed that way. The main site is designed for multiple airports and multiple charts. I've got your feedback but, to put it bluntly, you're trying to use ECR in a way it wasn't designed for that another tool exists for. There exists an api for custom implementations as well. But ECR is designed to replicate that system, opening charts externally completely defeats the purpose of it.