You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Share cockpit pilot non flying can't talk to ATC! how to do?

Fabrizio Pascucci

Fabrizio Pascucci
Posted
Posted

I use with a friend the Share cockpit feature in vpilot using callsign+A and OBS mode.

But If the pilot non flying in observer mode we want to talk to ATC it couldn't contact and send text on uni comm.

How we can speak both of us to ATC on share cockpit feature?

Thank's

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

You can't.

(At least, you can't unless you decide to not use the "observer" functionality in vPilot... although that would cause two separate targets to appear on ATC scopes and likely cause you to see the other pilot's aircraft almost-on-top of you.)

Fabrizio Pascucci
Posted
Posted

Well, let's hope that we can simulate this in the future...

Thank you

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

I honestly don't see it changing anytime in the near future. The only way it would be possible is to create a new connection type that can transmit. (By definition and COC restrictions, an observer connection is not able to communicate on any frequency)

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

If the pilot who will be primarily responsible for communication logs on as non-observer, you won't have a problem most of the time.

David Zhong

• 3 weeks later...
  • Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Just to be clear for anyone else reading - both parties can transmit on voice, it's only text transmission which is blocked for the Observer. The solution, as mentioned above, is for PF to connect as Observer and PM to connect "normally", which gives PM (who should normally be responsible for communications anyway) full communication facilities whilst PF still has voice transmit capability.

It would, however, be nice in the future for there to be a proper Shared Cockpit pilot connection type which permits full communications for both parties without both connections being visible on the ATC clients.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Chris Harkins 1272575
Posted
Posted

PM.....PF.....guess I lost connection but what are you meaning by that (consider it a newb question but wanting to make sure I am following your meaning)

CAN1644.png

Clear skies and tailwinds

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Pilot monitoring, AKA PNF pilot not flying.

Pilot flying

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Chris Harkins 1272575
Posted
Posted
Pilot monitoring, AKA PNF pilot not flying.

Pilot flying

Thank you so much, his statement is much more understandable for me now

CAN1644.png

Clear skies and tailwinds