You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vSTARS 1.1 open beta

Ross Carlson

Mark Swan
Posted
Posted

I've tried disabling my anti-virus and Windows Firewall is set to allow vSTARS. I've also tried running vSTARS as an administrator. Is there anything else it could be?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Not that I know of ... if it were my machine, I'd run a packet sniffer and see if I can figure out why the download is failing.

If you wait until after the server list download error appears BEFORE opening the settings, does it work? It should show you the last-saved server list, one of which is included in the default empty config file.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Mark Swan
Posted
Posted

The error appears a few seconds after I start vSTARS, before I select to open a facility file, and I try to open settings after I open the facility file.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Sounds like maybe somehow your cached server list got wiped out. Can you send me your vstarsconfig.xml file? Send me a link via PM.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yup, somehow your cached server list got wiped out. I've looked through the code and I don't see how that could happen.

In your config file, replace with this:

<CachedServers>
   <string>4k1TtUZ1nMPNLZ+wSpkWmh+XJ59IS8vu</string>
   <string>cLr0UMkbKn0RaJtf4vbnSEezPrpv2jM3</string>
   <string>u65ZS/Db6ogfeAJf3VFD5AqplOiZL8Yc</string>
   <string>nFMkI7Z/mS2LrNEoqFqyburALllzrYN2</string>
   <string>Ij0W+XaSQ5H9VRX3u5NM40Fd3OA6KgdW</string>
   <string>UGVYQmHNW7tRUr5TOuo0LvpEILpnjd1TQV3c4DoqB1Y=</string>
   <string>VyZd/HPj+UoBGBdwLLFTaPW6xQAyf3uK</string>
   <string>yypsknI4KOTZnVFwvcELJIAhROfFU/nI</string>
   <string>Q99hP/C9u0VR2pRbNTcDxqvo6ZXMuizo</string>
   <string>gdXXJARo4KuT0P/Mwm9OebI6vX3jZLpj</string>
   <string>DUW+7vfFVZYEYjvWSgGuBQTorBTrarAr</string>
   <string>IaAPNojEBRqyxhdwujS9JkFd3OA6KgdW</string>
   <string>0iial2q8AXrEt6yVYzjP5Ef/C+UlFC1a</string>
   <string>fvwcVNu5aTmeNNIVPIPtTVQ0gSUhHKzy</string>
   <string>mQkHhEUclR+hhgpbr9/RU5ImYQ1n8cvN</string>
   <string>hCNziza/NPW576xAv5UKIZ6CLNprOcya3hmgV5zn3KE=</string>
 </CachedServers>

I would like to understand how the cached servers list got wiped out, so if this problem recurs, please let me know ... we might be able to get it fixed if we are able to reproduce it.

Taylor Broad
Posted
Posted

Just a quick feature request. I am finding myself using vSTARS in the TWR/GND/DEL positions on the network. The one thing is that I need to manually CTRL + F to set the vis range for those positions. Then when I get a updated file from my FE, those settings wipe. Is it possible this can be stored in the Settings dialog?

Taylor Broad
Senior Developer - Virtual Airlines
VATSIM Virtual Airlines Dept.

## [email protected]

VATSIM Logo

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
Just a quick feature request. I am finding myself using vSTARS in the TWR/GND/DEL positions on the network. The one thing is that I need to manually CTRL + F to set the vis range for those positions. Then when I get a updated file from my FE, those settings wipe. Is it possible this can be stored in the Settings dialog?

These settings will wipe because they are part of the facility file. You'll just have to change it every time you update your file (which hopefully isn't terribly frequently).

• 3 months later...
Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Version 1.1.6 is now available, this fixes the following items:

- 0002642: Need to ignore unreadable devices when scanning for PTT.

- 0002552: Crash in settings window when servers aren't downloaded.

Download here:

http://vstars.metacraft.com/[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets/Files/Installers/vSTARS-Setup-1.1.6.exe

• 2 weeks later...
Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted
- 0002552: Crash in settings window when servers aren't downloaded.

User in my facility still experiencing this when migrating from v1.0 to 1.1.6. Had to paste in ServerURL and CachedServers values from my XML to his to stop the Unhandled Exception from occuring when opening settings window.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'll need the details on the error in order to know what's causing it.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Version 1.1.7 is now available, this fixes the following item:

- 0002646: Nested alias functions don't p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] correctly.

Download here:

http://vstars.metacraft.com/[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets/Files/Installers/vSTARS-Setup-1.1.7.exe

• 3 months later...
Brin Brody
Posted
Posted

Hi there...

Been using STARs to work a Tower position, and though it's not built for it, it works pretty well. The only issue I'm seeing is the flight strips. It might be an issue I've created on my own, due to lack of knowledge, but I've been unable to use strips that aren't pushed from another controller. When pushed from another controller, either below, or above, they put themselves nicely in the bay.

However, when working top down, flight strips need to be automatically generated. This is supposedly possible using the separators, and defining parameters for each... I've configured them properly, I believe but have not been receiving auto-generated strips.

For example, the Departures separator has the departure field properly set up but never brings in new departures. Similarly, arrivals do not appear under the Arrivals separator, which is also properly configured.

User error, or is this broken somehow?

Brin Brody

Nickolas Christopher
Posted
Posted

Hit CTRL+S to bring up the settings window and adjust your flight strip settings.

Los Angeles ARTCC Air Traffic Manager
VATUSA Division
https://laartcc.org

Brin Brody
Posted
Posted
Hit CTRL+S to bring up the settings window and adjust your flight strip settings.

So I'm the idiot.

Thanks.

Brin Brody

Dominic Nguyen
Posted
Posted
Hi there...

Been using STARs to work a Tower position, and though it's not built for it, it works pretty well.

Oh it's built for it alright.

Brin Brody
Posted
Posted
Hi there...

Been using STARs to work a Tower position, and though it's not built for it, it works pretty well.

Oh it's built for it alright.

Looks like it! Appeared to be very TRACON based (as expected) after a first look. Didn’t expect nearly as much TWR support.

Thanks.

Brin Brody

• 2 weeks later...
Dominic Nguyen
Posted
Posted

Looks like it! Appeared to be very TRACON based (as expected) after a first look. Didn’t expect nearly as much TWR support.

Thanks.

Yup, it's simulated after tower display workstations and terminal controller work stations. Towers use STARS display as well

• 8 months later...
Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vSTARS version 1.1.7 has been in open beta for over a year now, so I think it's time to call it stable. 1.1.7 is now the official stable version available via the Download page on the vSTARS web site.

Thank you to everyone that helped test the open beta version!

Enrico Noia
Posted
Posted

Will the "unhandled exception" issue when switching comms be investigated?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Enrico, if you're referring to the error that occurs if you reconnect to a voice channel (like if you disconnect then reconnect) then that is on the bug list and will be investigated the next time I work on the code. If you're referring to something else, please post a new thread with all the details.

Thanks.

Enrico Noia
Posted
Posted
Enrico, if you're referring to the error that occurs if you reconnect to a voice channel (like if you disconnect then reconnect) then that is on the bug list and will be investigated the next time I work on the code. If you're referring to something else, please post a new thread with all the details.

Thanks.

Yes, I was referring to that.

Thanks